“Rooms Need Updating & Better Housekeeping”

Clarion Inn Willow River
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Long Valley, New Jersey
“Rooms Need Updating & Better Housekeeping”
Reviewed January 13, 2010

The exterior of the hotel is lovely and looked promising. The lobby area was clean but the owners went overboard with all the “Gone with the Wind” memorabilia. Our room was bigger than a standard hotel room but the style was old, outdated with ugly wallpaper and comforters. It was like staying at great grandma’s house.

In addition to the 2 queen beds, there was a pull-out sofa. The sleeper sofa was terrible because the springs were shot and my son fell right through. It needs to be replaced. There was a sink in the bathroom and another sink outside of the bathroom which was handy. The room had a mini-fridge but no microwave. There is a microwave available in the breakfast area on the 2nd floor. Housekeeping needs to do a better job vacuuming. The carpet was filthy around the room edges (as my mom was fond of saying, “rooms aren’t round, clean the edges) and on the sides of the beds/furniture.

The outdoor/indoor pools, lazy river and spa were all very small but clean. The helicopter tours right across the street are a big problem. When trying to relax poolside, they fly by very low and loud. It was very annoying.

The continental breakfast was promoted as a “deluxe hot breakfast with over 20 items” – it was not – make your own waffles, biscuits & gravy, canned fruit, cereal, donuts, muffins and the occasional bacon strip is far from a deluxe hot breakfast!

Finally, the location is very inconvenient. It is too far from the attractions in Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. During peak times, it took an hour to go the seven miles to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg is fourteen miles away. You spend most of your time sitting in traffic.

There are better hotels in the area – keep shopping around!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank jolv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Kentucky
Reviewed December 14, 2009

We loved our stay at this hotel it was clean, nice, friendly staff when we were there. I traveled with my mom and my 4month old baby to this hotel. As I got home after a 5 hour trip home I was unpacking my bag and saw that I forgot my daughter crib music box at the hotel. I called the hotel and they told they didn't find anything in our room but did find a music box. So I ask the lady if she would look at it and I could tell her what it looked like. She said no that I would have to call in the morning and talk with the head housekeeper. So I did the next morning and may I say this is for my 4 month and its hard for her to sleep without this thing. The lady at the deck said the head housekeep was off that day so I told her my story and she said they did find it and it was cost my 25-40 dollars to have it shipped back to me. I pay 25 dollars new for this thing. They won't ship it with USPS they have their own shipping company and she said they are high. She said that she has seen a car charger cost $25 to ship back. This is crazy! I know its my fault for not check good but the cost to ship it back is nuts people. It would cost my $6 to ship it USPS. So make sure you don't forget something behind it will cost you.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

sidewinder

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Upper East-TN
Reviewed November 15, 2009

I have been saying at the Clarion Inn Willow River for the past 10 years. I love the atmosphere, friendly service, and cleanliness of the hotel and rooms. To me, knowing that when I arrive I will be taken care of makes my trip more enjoyable. This is the only place we stay when we travel to the Pigeon FOrge/Gatlingburg area.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Manchester TN
Reviewed October 3, 2009

We arrived and the building was just like in the pictures. Its away from all the noise in Pigeon Forge, but just a short drive away from it all. There is a helicopter ride across the street, but we never heard it. The building was decorated for fall and was beautiful and not the standard hotel look. While the building was decorated so pretty along with the grounds, one couldn't help but notice that the building was in a huge need of pressure washing. Dirt, cobwebs, etc were stuck on balconies along with the outside of the building. The lady at the check in desk was very friendly, along with any other employee that we passed. Everyone seemed to enjoy their job (or at least acted like they did). We quickly went to our room, used the restroom and headed out for activities for the day (we didn't even take the time to bring our luggage up at this point). We arrived back at our room at 8:00 pm after eating out. I decided to sit down and look at the notebook of information in the room, but decided since it was covered in what appeared to be cracker crumbs to leave it be. The couch in the room (a pale green) was covered in long black hair, not just over the back of it, but also on the cushions, along with these same cracker type crumbs. The same black hair was wrapped around the bathroom faucet, along with shorter black hair all in the tub. The balcony was covered in dead bugs, cobwebs and the patio furniture was in a bad need of scrubbing. The patio table was literally greyish black on top from debris. While the bed was soft enough, the pillows were hard and flat. We took the additional pillows off the other bed, but even with two pillows under our heads we woke up with sore ears from laying on such a hard surface. The room was very dark when the curtain was pulled and extremely quiet. We never heard one of our neighbors and while my spouse was using the shower, I could barely hear it while laying in the bed. The next morning the free, continental breakfast was served from 7am to 10am. I'll probably leave an item out, but we saw cereal, muffins, doughnuts, waffles, gravy (which needed seasoning, but after that was good), biscuits, sausage, hard boiled eggs, fruit, apple juice, orange juice and coffee. The breakfast was very decent for a continental breakfast and they had an employee keeping items replenished as they were used up. There was plenty of tables, however around the 9am time frame some had to wait a few minutes for a table to clear. There was additional tables on the outside balcony, but this October morning was too cool to sit outside for anyone. You wonder would I stay there again.....I'm really on the fence on that question....if I took my own cleaning supplies and got the room up to par, maybe. For the price, quiet location, good continental breakfast, it worth staying, but if you expect a spotless room (which can that even be found anymore???), then I'd have to pass on the housekeeping part. My husband did tell the front clerk as we checked out our concerns and she seemed surprised and said "that isn't our standard". Maybe we caught them on a bad night, I hate that....we were traveling through on our 20th anniversary and would have liked it be more memorable. The grandeur of the building and grounds were worth a stop, but I don't know that I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank relaxingwithnature
Florida
Reviewed September 29, 2009

The three nights we spent at the Clarion was thoroughly relaxing. Spacious is the word for everything. Our room had a private balconey overlooking the lake. Clean and quiet. Drink, snacks and ice machines conveniently located. Beautifully decorated. Very large breakfast area. Nice continental breakfast with some hot foods. The front desk employees were very courteous and had lots of southern charm. This is very important to me. I will not stay at a motel with rude foreigners working the front desk.

I was pleased with just about everything. The only negative things were, and they are picky: The mattress could have been a little better; the bacon was cooked really crisp and tasteless; the guest computer was so slooow, and the 15 minutes time limit on it, rendered it totally useless.

Would I stay there again? Just as soon as I can get back and that will be next month.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xodino123
Western NY
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We stayed at the Clarion Inn Willow River for five nights (Sep 13-Sep 18). The hotel was spotless and most impressive was the continued cleaning by the staff. We never saw so many housecleaning staff at one time. The rooms are spacious with comfortable accomodations. The breakfast was very adequate, with bacon and sausages, eggs, cereal, pastry, etc. This hotel cost less than a Sleep Inn we stayed in on the return trip. The Sleep Inn room was extremely small with not very many conveniences.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple