All reviews newbury house walton hughes tv suite
Selected filters
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the newbury house last weekend. We were drawn there by the haunted nature of the property. What we found was amazing.

We too arrived after dark but had no problems finding the visitors center or the b & b as they were well lit.

Once we got our keys we let ourselves in and instantly felt very comfortable like we had come home. We stayed in the Sarah Walton room. While very small, it was quite comfortable. The bathroom while small was very adequate and clean.

We loved the fact of no tv and very little phone service. We truly were able to enjoy each other and the quite away from the husstle and bustle of everyday life.

We hated to leave and are already planning our next visit.

As for haunted? I would say definitely yes, but you will have to check that out for yourself!

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank kavlee89
Reviewed October 18, 2012

While the original community of Rugby failed, as a artful, interesting piece of history, Rugby is first rate. The entire community is composed of Victorian and neo-Victorian buildings. This includes Newbury House. A five or six room house with a Viictorian feel in and out allows for a restful visit while you explore the area.

We were three couples and all praised Newbury House.

Room tip: The Hughes Suite is worth e star bucks.
Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My sister and I took a long weekend just to travel around in Kentucky & Tennessee. I checked tripadvisor for B&B in the Jamestown area of Tn and found Rugby. Made a reservation for two nights, staying in the "Sarah Walton" room in Newbury House. Arrived after dark, was difficult to find our way to visitor center to pickup key and then to find our way to house, very little light at night. Everything we needed was left in box for us. We traveled down a dark road and saw the sign for Newbury House. Absolutely Victorian, charming, quiet and so welcoming. The porch light was on and we entered into this beautiful parlor area, all antiques, and a hall leading to kitchen area and small sunroom off to right. This is the only room with TV, ok with us!
The only difficult part of this house was the steps leading upstairs to our room. They are very narrow and extremely steep, but we made it!! The room had queen bed with original furnishings, very comfortable! The AC was marvelous (temp 90's) and we slept well. Bath has been totaly renovated with new shower. Some of the rooms share a bath but we had our own.
The entire area is gorgeous, the Church, School and theater are wonderful, along with commissary, print shop, Oddiment shop and of course the Harrow cafe. Your breakfast is complimentary, 4 main items. All was very good, however, our server Jessica was one of the best on our entire trip. What a wonderful person, she is from Taiwan, via California, and then to Tennessee! Jessica told us and another couple we met at the house, how difficult the change was for her and the children. Then she began telling us of her donkey, chickens and everything else on their farm. They live in or very near Rugby. The trip was worth just meeting Jessica!! Please check out their website: http://www.historicrugby.org/. Best weekend in years!

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank nikki a
Reviewed April 22, 2010

Historic Rugby preserves and cherishes a unique Victorian village built by English and American settlers in 1880 as a cooperative community, under the leadership of Thomas Hughes (author of Tom Brown's Schooldays). This authentically preserved and charming B&B is in the heart of the village, which itself is in the heart of the romantic and isolated Cumberland Plateau. I went there for academic reasons (I am researching Hughes) - but I would go back because it is the perfect romantic holiday location for a couple who wants peace, beauty, and long country walks on the excellent and well-marked trails around the area. There is also a very good café serving breakfast, lunch and early dinner - very good cooking, and very nice staff. This is a really special place, and nobody seems to know about it... It is also extremely good value. You can rent a cottage, as an alternative to the B&B - which might be even nicer, if you have a family.

Date of stay: April 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed November 22, 2009

A friend surprised me with a weekend in Rugby for my birthday. I was hesistant at first when I realized the size of the town and no TV at the Newbury House. To my surprise it was the best weekend I have had in years! Total relaxation, wonderful and friendly people and great hiking trails. After 2 days I still had more I wanted to do, but will ensure I get back and complete the list of activitives. I am now thinking of buying a lot in the town for weekends and then perhaps retirement one day. An undiscovered secret nestled in Tennessee!

Date of stay: November 2009