“Spectacular Fall Views”

Rock Island State Park
Reviewed November 6, 2013

A must see on anyone's Middle TN Fall Foliage trip. I was on a scenic drive from Burgess Falls to Fall Creek Falls when I saw the sign for Rock Island (off of 136) I decided to throw caution to the wind and travel the 1.8 mile drive and I am so glad I did. I was greeted by the spectacular Great Falls in all their majestic beauty framed by some amazing fall coloring.

4  Thank Lockerbietwilde

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went to this state park as a spur of the moment visit after finishing the hike at Burgess Falls. Man were we surprised! The park was absolutely beautiful and so much fun to traverse. Those that aren't up for hopping rocks (or a few rapids) can still stick to the regular trails and overlooks and still have a great time.

It is only a 20-30 minute drive south from Burgess Falls and is definitely worth the drive!

3  Thank chiefwahoo1989
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed in the campground with our travel trailer and really enjoyed all they had to offer. The campsites were spacious, clean and offered fire rings, grills, picnic tables, garbage cans and the campground staff was very friendly and helpful. There are so many outdoor activities to do here. There are spectacular waterfalls, hiking, fishing, canoeing, swimming, mountain biking, etc. The state park offered a beach area for swimming, but honestly it didn't look very appealing. However, there are plenty other things to do. There is a market and dollar general store pretty close to the park if you need supplies. Also, not too far from Rock Island is Burgess Falls State Park, which is one of the best waterfalls I have ever seen.

1  Thank landfalia
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Rock Island is a place I will go back to as there is so much to explore there. There are waterfalls everywhere and it is very interesting. There are signs warning of dangers like flash floods, dam release schedules, slippery rocks and numbers of drownings. That aspect was a little intimidating but there are waterfalls in every direction. The largest require a 4 mile hike, which we did not do on this trip. There is a swimming area that does not have waterfalls also. The rock features are amazing.

1  Thank Sue D
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a really nice place to go hike and swim. The park is beautiful and there are many many waterfalls all over the place. I recommend staying at the Park itself. The nearest lodging is in McMinnville. Only one Hotel that was rated favorable. I did not stay there as the rates were not that much less than the cabin rentals at the State Park during the weekday. The cabins are very well stocked and furnished. Beds are comfortable. Bathrooms are super large with a private bath for the master. The walk in closet was big enough to sleep in. The cabins have an open feel with the loft on the upper floor which can look down into the kitchen and sleeps four. There's also plenty of room for suitcases and whatever else you bring. Fire pit, grill, picnic table out back and a back porch with lounge chairs and sitting chairs. Front porch with chairs there too. No cell service but who needs it with all the beauty around. Space enough to park 2-3 vehicles right in front with a fairly level lot.

2  Thank Robert H