“Worst hotel stay in many years...”

Holiday Inn Pigeon Forge
Ranked #75 of 90 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
Altoona, Wisconsin
“Worst hotel stay in many years...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

I am a priority club member so booked the room from the Holiday Inn website. Spent the previous night at Holiday Inn Express in Flat Rock, NC. This Holiday Inn in Pigeon Forge looks old from the outside. There is a good sized addition going on for conference rooms I think.

I could deal with the remodel...concrete floor in the lobby, etc, but our room on the first floor was atrocious. Very out dated, smelly, old bedding, globs of plaster on the walls in the bathroom. A "Non-smoking room" that someone smoked in, probably years ago, it was stale and awful. We checked in late so just dealt with it and left in the early morning.

We spent about half the day in the Smokey Mountain NP then headed for home. This was the tail end of a 10-day family vacation to FL, GA, SC, NC, TN...

We were so unhappy after that night, that we drove 14 hrs back to Wisconsin. I'll be contacting Holiday Inn directly as well as the owners in Pigeon Forge. If they don't comp me a night, I'll never stay at Holiday Inn again...and they can have my Priority Club card back, too.

The fitness center was poor, a couple of old treadmills and a couple other machine. The pool looked OK, but we didn't use it.

We had the breakfast included (for an extra charge) with our reservation, which was supposed to be worth $20 on anything on the menu (per the website ad) but we were only allowed to have the buffet, which, in all fairness, wasn't bad...but just not what was promised.

The staff was friendly...it's not their fault.

Renovation is supposed to be complete by October 2008. Hold off until then. We paid $110 for the room plus breakfast.

• Liked — I would have said location, but there were clearly better choices.
  • Disliked — The old, smelly room.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank WIstoney
ManagementStaff, Manager at Holiday Inn Pigeon Forge, responded to this review, April 3, 2009
We appreciate your comments and thank you for being our guest despite the on-going renovations. We would like to announce that our renovations are now complete, and we would like to invite you back to stay with us so that you may truly relax and enjoy your vacation in a beautiful, luxurious atmosphere. We look forward to catering to all of your needs and being your home away from home in the near future.
Management Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Kosciusko, ms
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

Booked through hotwire, did not state when booking that hotel was under massive renovation, once booked and notified of hotel name, found on tripadvisor and found several reviews about renovation, due to not being able to cancel, Hotwire policy, I called hotwire anyway and was told that once family got to hotel to call and notify them if any problems.

Family arrived at hotel on 06/13/2008 to check in, well it is under massive renovation, walked in and there is no carpet, tile or anything on front entry just dusty concrete, went to the front desk where the persons working there were very nice and helpful, gave kids plastic construction hats, assigned us room 410, rode elevator to 4th floor, exited elevator to discover entire hallway full of new furniture boxes, very dusty and smelled of fresh carpet glue, carpet dusty, went to room after navigating boxes, went into room 410 where it appeared to have been renovated, strong odor of carpet, wallpaper glue, bedspread had rips in it, holes in wall, and the great sound of construction workers on the outside cutting holes in the new marble sink tops. Wife began to get a headache from odor, I phoned hotwire and notified them of situation, the customer service person was very helpful, cancled out stay at holiday inn and I rebooked with deer ridge resort for a one bedroom condo with loft for only 10 dollars more a night, which hotwire covered.

I would stay clear of this Holiday Inn until after renovation, it is not worth what they are charging, and just a side note, when we went to check in, there was only 10 vehicles in the main parking lot, which a few of those belonged to the construction workers.

Thank you Hotwire for making this right.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank petebelk

Travelers are raving about these Pigeon Forge hotels

Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2008

I reserved a room at Holiday Inn Pigeon Forge for a quick escape from reality before my last year at college. The property was fantastic. Check In was quick and easy, and having Priority Rewards was an excellent thing to have at this property.

I had a room on the concierge level which is where the pet rooms were. I loved my room on the concierge level and the key access. I went to the pool but forgot my swim trunks, but the pool looked nice.

Overall I would stay at the property again without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2007
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2008

I booked one niight via hotwire but wished I hadnt.
I paid $70 with tax .
The hotel is in a great location two lights from Dollywood on the main parkway. However it is undergoing a major refit at present and the lobby is like a building site.
the rooms were Ok but we had a power cut all evening- I do not know if it was local to the hotel or to a wider area but on top of the shabby room was the last straw.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank spendingpension
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2008

I booked our room very far in advance and read the reviews at the time of the booking. Unfortunately for us a major remodel commenced about two weeks before we arrived. This hotel is in complete remodel mode, complete with large dumpsters parked outside and ripped up parts of the hotel. You know the ad on TV where the couple finds themselves at a hotel with a jack hammer? This is it! Our room is ok, very worn out but ok. The price was so cheap I should have been alerted something was up -- so the upside is that we paid practically nothing for the room. This made our trip to Dollywood very, very affordable. If you are on a budget and plan to be at Dollywood all day then this hotel might be a good value. But if you are expecting one of the nice new Holiday Inns (we have stayed in some good Holiday Inns all over America) then back off from reserving a room here. Also, I cannot imagine this place is ever going to look really sharp even with this remodel. The building is essentially worn out and new carpet and a little paint isn't going to fix that.

Stayed April 2008
Raleigh, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2008

My church did a couples retreat for the weekend and so we came down excited! I had read "decent" reviews about this hotels but this was far below my expectations. There is some remodeling going on but this hotel has that "cheap" feel to it. The carpet was extremely dirty and looked water damage in the halls and in the room. The whole hotel had a smell to it and wall paper seemed to be peeling off everywhere. The Beds were as hard as rock and the exhaust in the bathroom didn't work. On top of that the air conditioning only worked 1/2 the time. The cost was not bad at 70.00 a night but I can go much nicer hotels in the pigeon forge area for less. I went here for a retreat but I will not be back under any circumstances. I'm not that picky but this hotel was nasty. Look Elsewhere for a good time in the mountians.

• Liked — In the middle of everything!
  • Disliked — Cheap, Cheap, Cheap
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BrandonHeel23
North Caroilna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2008

My wife and I have stayed in the hotel on 3 different occasions. Every time the rooms have been clean, staff went above and beyond. Two of the times has been with our Annual Church Marriage Retreat. We come in on Friday and check out Sunday afternoon. The conference room has always been great. The inhouse resturant had good food for a hotel. LOL The breakfast buffet has a plenty of choices. This year we had 37 couples. I have not heard any complaints.
The indoor pool and whirlpool has been very nice also.

They are under construction this year. Building a new conference center which this town does need.

Two thumbs up.