On December 27, 2002 I began attempting to locate a handicapped room in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, TN for the next night, December 28. I met numerous "full up" responses before a reservation clerk for Family Inns of America found a room to meet my needs at their Twin Mall facility. I was told the room was at the back of the building and when I inquired exactly what that meant, was told that it didn't face the street but the back of the building, nothing was said about it being a dungeon and not qualified to be called handicapped facility. I was told that my credit card would be charged the $89.77 whether we were there or not. When we claimed our reserved room, we discovered the room to be on the second floor (Room 209) at the far end away from the elevator, a dungeon of a room, dark as a tomb even with all lights turned on. The room was a box with NO windows. The bathroom had not one grab bar. The room was large enough except that there was a single "Hide-a-bed" type piece between the bathroom and the bed and I not enough room to get the wheelchair in place by the bed and I hurt my back trying to move that heavy piece of furniture out of the way. The one handicapped parking slot was far away from elevator and was usually occupied when we needed it. My head should be examined for not heading back home right then but it was afternoon and I might not have made it back home safely. Later I sorely regretted not having turned on my heels and out of there. The desk clerk was surly and rude, a rather large blonde woman who has no business in a service position of such a business. I was invited to park in a vacant lot back of the building. When I inquired about parking in one of the several empty spaces by the office, I was told that those were reserved for the staff and that I would surely be blocked in the following morning. (Actually, the following morning all spaces there were still empty.) $89.77 for such a room! Unbelievable! And unbelievable that we stayed in it. As I checked out the Manager was not there. I asked for the Corporate address and was given a 1.5"x 2" Post-it with the name "Crystal" and phone # 865-453-4988 as the place to register my complaint. I have not found Crystal available when I have tried to reach her. If she is as "helpful" as the Desk Clerk was, it is probably just as well.
My husband and I realized on December 27 that he had no therapists scheduled over the weekend and that, yes, we might be able to get a night away from home. A handicap room is a necessity as my husband is seventy-seven years old (I, 73) and is disabled. He cannot walk or even stand alone and hasn't for more than three years. The bathroom of room #209 was an accident waiting to happen to us or any other handicapped person. I lay awake in that monstrous room wondering how we would get out if there were a fire or something requiring evacuation. We have always enjoyed getting over to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area at every opportunity, but we have a bad taste in our memory from this most recent visit.
I believe we were used and abused by this Inn.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Location, location, location! Located next to Dixie Stampede in Pigeon Forge on the Parkway within close proximity to the area's best restaurants, attractions, theaters, outlet malls and Dollywood Theme Park. Oversized guest rooms offer your choice of one king or two double beds and special value amenities including FREE continental breakfast. All rooms are equipped with mini refrigerator, microwave, coffee/tea maker, hair dryer, iron and ironing board. For those who must stay connected or the need to mix a little business with pleasure, you will find a spacious work desk in your room with access to FREE High Speed Wireless Internet and FREE local calls. An outdoor pool is available along with ample parking easily accommodating tour buses, vans and oversized vehicles. Group planners enjoy Trip Rewards points which can be used toward stays at all Wyndham hotels and many national retail chains. You can even take a short Trolley ride to even more attractions. Whether you choose to relax or stay busy this is where you want to stay. We look forward to serving your lodging needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Cancelon, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your Days Inn Pigeon Forge South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Family Inns Of America - East Hotel Pigeon Forge
- Family Hotel Of America
- Family Hotel Pigeon Forge