“If you want to stay in a dungeon...”

Days Inn Pigeon Forge South
Ranked #85 of 90 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
A TripAdvisor Member
“If you want to stay in a dungeon...”
Reviewed January 11, 2003

On December 27, 2002 I began attempting to locate a handicapped room in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, TN for the next night, December 28. I met numerous "full up" responses before a reservation clerk for Family Inns of America found a room to meet my needs at their Twin Mall facility. I was told the room was at the back of the building and when I inquired exactly what that meant, was told that it didn't face the street but the back of the building, nothing was said about it being a dungeon and not qualified to be called handicapped facility. I was told that my credit card would be charged the $89.77 whether we were there or not. When we claimed our reserved room, we discovered the room to be on the second floor (Room 209) at the far end away from the elevator, a dungeon of a room, dark as a tomb even with all lights turned on. The room was a box with NO windows. The bathroom had not one grab bar. The room was large enough except that there was a single "Hide-a-bed" type piece between the bathroom and the bed and I not enough room to get the wheelchair in place by the bed and I hurt my back trying to move that heavy piece of furniture out of the way. The one handicapped parking slot was far away from elevator and was usually occupied when we needed it. My head should be examined for not heading back home right then but it was afternoon and I might not have made it back home safely. Later I sorely regretted not having turned on my heels and out of there. The desk clerk was surly and rude, a rather large blonde woman who has no business in a service position of such a business. I was invited to park in a vacant lot back of the building. When I inquired about parking in one of the several empty spaces by the office, I was told that those were reserved for the staff and that I would surely be blocked in the following morning. (Actually, the following morning all spaces there were still empty.) $89.77 for such a room! Unbelievable! And unbelievable that we stayed in it. As I checked out the Manager was not there. I asked for the Corporate address and was given a 1.5"x 2" Post-it with the name "Crystal" and phone # 865-453-4988 as the place to register my complaint. I have not found Crystal available when I have tried to reach her. If she is as "helpful" as the Desk Clerk was, it is probably just as well.

My husband and I realized on December 27 that he had no therapists scheduled over the weekend and that, yes, we might be able to get a night away from home. A handicap room is a necessity as my husband is seventy-seven years old (I, 73) and is disabled. He cannot walk or even stand alone and hasn't for more than three years. The bathroom of room #209 was an accident waiting to happen to us or any other handicapped person. I lay awake in that monstrous room wondering how we would get out if there were a fire or something requiring evacuation. We have always enjoyed getting over to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area at every opportunity, but we have a bad taste in our memory from this most recent visit.

I believe we were used and abused by this Inn.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mr_John_Black, General Manager at Days Inn Pigeon Forge South, responded to this review, February 22, 2016
We are sad to hear that your stay was of bad standards from previous owners and management but we want you to know that since then we have made major improvements and welcome you to give us a try at being your home away from home while staying in Pigeon Forge Tennessee. We hope that you leave with a better view of our property than from previous experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 14, 2002

I recently went to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee for a day of shopping. I usually go to Pigeon Forge 6 to 8 times a year. Some of my trips are for business but most are some shopping and pleasure. I have stayed at many hotels but the Family Inns- East, 3785 Parkway was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in my life. The room was awful, the curtains were only hanging by a few hooks. I had to pin them together for privacy. The carpet was nasty, room smelled as if it had been shut up for years, cigarettee burns on all the furniture, even the bathtub. Lucky I had a candle to burn!! Staying at a hotel like this would almost make a person not even want to go to Pigeon Forge. I just wander how a hotel in this condition can even pass any safety inspections. Hotels in this condition should not be able to operate.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member