“Best part of our vaction”

Appalachian Outdoors Whitewater Rafting
West Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Best part of our vaction”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2007

I chose this outfit because of reviews here.I was not disappointed. It took about an hour to get there from Pigeon Forge.When you arrive they give you a helmet and life jacket before you board the bus. The first thing I noticed when I got on the bus was this sour water smell. This was the only bad thing I could tell you. But I also don't know how they could prevent it. Anyway, you take a short bus trip to the river it may have lasted 10 minutes. Here they will give you all you need to know about paddling and what to do during the trip.You have to help carry the raft in the water it wasn't a problem for us and we only had 3 people in our group one of which is 11.The guide and the person he was training also helped.After your first rapid, which we were drenched, they have someone there to take pictures. It was a mixture of rapids and times of floating. During the floating you were allowed to swim along the raft.We had a great guide who was playful and liked to cut up, at one point threw my daughter in the river.They also did some surfing. If for nothing us go for that.When you arrive back at there main office they have restrooms to change in and you can purchase pictures that they will put on disk for you to make your own copies.We bought 10 pictures which were around 26.00. The rafting cost around 100.00 for the three of us. It was by far the best thing we did in while on vactaion. The largest class rapid was a 4. We felt like we could have handled more than that and this was our first whitewater rafting experience.

4 Thank softballmom95

Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Appalachian Outdoors - Great Time!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2006

On our visit to the Smokies (wk of 7/16/06) we wanted to do some whitewater rafting (me, my husband & 2 boys, 19 & 13). There are quite a few companies to choose from. I mainly chose Appalachain Outdoors because they are a Christian owned company. We had a great time! It was the best money we spent all week. All 4 of us rafted for $107 (they had coupons totalling about $10 off per person). There were other rafting companies rafting at the same. Appalachian Outdoors did something I did not see other companies doing. We "surfed" a rapid. This was a blast!! You paddle INTO a rapid and the guide steers the raft while you hunker down and water pours into the raft. We did this 3 times. It made it nice because it was just my family and the guide in our raft. For the third "surfing" we switched positions so my kids could be in the front, which is where they remained for the rest of the trip. It took a little over an hour. We did the 4:45 pm time slot and thought this was the best. It was cooler and the sun wasn't beating directly down on you. This was our first time doing anything like this and it was a great experience. I highly recommend Appalachian Outdoors.

15 Thank plansstuff