“Parrot Mountain”

21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Parrot Mountain”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Our family visited the Parrot Mountain and Garden for the first time in August,2012. It was amazing to see so many beautiful birds. Our family enjoyed having our picture taken with the birds. We also enjoyed feeding the birds. The place was clean and the birds seemed to be well taken care of. We enjoyed our visit to the Parrot Mountain and have recommended this place to our friends.

Visited August 2012

• Arabic first
Virginia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Liked it but have some concerns”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I hadn't heard of this place until I stumbled across it on TripAdvisor! You turn down Dollywood Lane and eventually the road will split to Dollywood parking or McCarter Hollow Rd. You stay left on McCarter Hollow and just follow the signs, very easy to get to and it's way way way up on a mountain. They do have access for handicap to get around but if you're pushing a regular wheelchair be prepared for a workout (it truly is on a mountain!) Beautiful birds and you can get right up close to them and take photos. Definitely buy the "nectar" they offer for the Lorys. You get to go into a large fenced area holding the cup of nectar. Have someone go in with you to photograph because the birds will SWARM and land ALL over you. You will get pooped on so just expect it! I suggest covering the nectar when you walk in and let the birds land and then uncover the cup. This will let you enjoy them just a little bit longer and will also keep you from tossing the nectar everywhere when they swarm you. The grounds could use some upcoming as I noticed the wooden railings as you go up the entry steps were rotten and falling apart as well as a couple deck areas you stand on while looking at some of the caged birds. I'm sure it takes a lot of money to run this place so I'm not complaining, just stating what I saw. This brings me to a couple concerns. The birds can't fly and the majority of them are on the posts (about 8-14" of wood sticking off the pole for them to stand on). I'm not sure if they get breaks and are allowed to go to a cage or if they have to perch on these wooden branches all day long--they did have food and water which was good. I don't know a lot about birds but I assume they get wiped out/tired like any other animal. One of my biggest concerns was at the end you go through the gift shop and cafe. In the back they had a glass or plastic box full of LITTLE tiny acrylic boxes with lids on most all of them. When I say little, they were the size of vented boxes you get when you buy a hermit crab at one of those little stores "Get a free hermit crab when you buy a cage". These little cages were filled with baby birds, some only had two and some had 4+. They were overly crowded and probably cold considering naturally birds are huddled in a cozy nest and not some plastic hermit crab box. This kind of bothered me and I've worried about them since I left. I'm sure these people know what they are doing so I can only hope my worries are due to the fact that I don't know much about birds. I do suggest going because you'll never get to get this close to this many exotic birds. Not something I'd return to but everyone should see it once!

2 Thank LoriTM
Fletcher H, General Manager at Parrot Mountain & Gardens, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
We are sorry to hear you will not be visiting here with us again as we get lots of return customers every year. As for people with wheelchairs, we offer a golf cart to rent and someone here will take them around the park and can even pick them up in the parking area. Yes, this place takes a lot to keep up and to feed and house the birds and the wood post that you noticed coming up probably needs replacing but it does not take away from our theme which is the Antique cottage look. If you would like to donate to help with the repairs it would be wonderful since we have to use the majority of the money taken in to take care and feed and house these beautiful birds and it does cost a lot. Dont worry about the little babies in the brooder that are in the little tanks. The brooders costs thousands of dollars and they maintain the right humidity and temperature level for the babies to keep them warm and they huddle together not because it is cold but because its what they do like in their nest. The parents to the birds in the brooders neglected to feed them and therefore we had to be like the parents and feed them and keep them warm in the brooder in tanks that make them feel like their natural habitat their nest. All bird's nest in the wild if you ever notice are small and have many babies in the nest and the birds are all huddle together. We take in so many abused and negleted birds and give them a home here for life and we enjoy what we do but it does cost and with people like you that come to visit helps us to maintain and house and feed these parrots. We hope you will reconsider and come back to support a good cause. God Bless
Loveland, Ohio
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Very Nice Experience”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We visited this place on long week end. It was just great to have parrots and all birds on hands. Staff is friendly. they will help to get birds on your hands. Also we saw some talking bird (they could say hi/Hello/Bye. I would recommend to go there for off bit experience.

Ellwood City, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful Place”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Found this place by accident and so glad that we did , it was absolutely gorgeous what a nice place to visit . It was a hot Day as it mostly is in August in Tennessee but with all the Trees and lovely Plants and Floweres it had a cooling affect , it is a must see if your in Pigeon Forge , well worth the Money/

Visited August 2012
Clinton, South Carolina, United States
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun for anyone!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Such a nice place on the mountain....Hubby and I really enjoyed our time visiting with the birds. The staff were all wonderful and nice and the grounds were clean and nicely groomed. All the birds looked happy and healthy. I loved taking photos here!