See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 25, 2009

My boyfriend and I and another couple stayed for the Grand Run. They had it already reserved and stayed two nights prior to our arrival. had to buy cleaning supplies to clean the place, a sticky film on the furniture, nasty bathtub dirty floors.The kitchen sink had a terrible odor coming from it and we put a paper plate over it. The bathtub drain was clogged and when confronted with it said they would bring Draino... never did.It was a joke! $75.00 a night, for a dirty, nasty cabin located in what looked to be a run down trailor park. Spend the money and stay somewhere nice,,oh almost forgot---if u wasn't in a camper you had to pay $ 3.00 a person for the pool, Crazy..Crazy ...Crazy

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank happytraveler1027
Reviewed June 23, 2008

Would not recommend - unsafe and possible heath risk for familes with children. Worst vacation we had ever had - stay at Twin Mountain Resort/Campground or River's Edge for a wonderful camping experience.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank GBIIBLESSED
Reviewed May 6, 2008

I laughed when i read the review from the person who only had good things to say about this campground, since this was from like three years before my family visited this campground i would love for that family to go back and stay at that campground again and then i would love to see what they have to say about that campground now. But I bet that they diden't stay in a cottage,cabin or a tent during their stay there. I don't know what that campground looked like back in 2004 but i do know what that campground was like in the summer of 2007. When we got to the campground after waking up early that morning to leave to drive to Pigeon Forge and after a long drive when we got there the campground wasen't what i exspected and we were waying our options on wheather we were going to stay their or not because we all diden't have a good feeling about that campground and after talking about it we decided to go ahead and stay because we were all tired and because i diden't know if we would be able to find another place to stay and my parent's told them that we diden't know if we would stay here after going and looking for a place to set -up camp because we were going to stay in our tent but the owners told us that their was cabin for rent so we were considering on staying in a cabin. and i thought that it was a little weird that they let us choose our campsite because we have went camping before and usually they choose it for you before you get there. and the owners were getting in-patient with us because we couldn't make up our minds wheather or not we were going to stay their or not. and i like to give people the benefit of the doubt so we decided to stay in a cabin. My dad has back problems and can't really sleep on the hard ground so we decided that it was better than sleeping on the ground. But the cabin was very dirty and old and it was very musky and smelled like mildew. and the cabin door was hard to open and the bathrooms were very old and some of the bathroom doors wouldn't shut or the toilets would get clogged.and i'm not even mentioning the germs that their was that could make you sick from not washing your hands after using the bathroom because their was no soap or paper towels so you couldn't wash your hands i guess that they don't believe on washing your hands after you use the bathroom. I felt really dirty the whole time that i stayed there and i couldn't wait to get home to take a shower. I took a shower only once while i was there and the water really smelled like well water. When we slept in our cabin at night we refused to sleep on the bed itself so we laid down our sleeping bags on the bed and slept on our sleeping bags because we diden't know what could be on the bed. and the Owners at the campground were not very friendly at all. They made us feel like we were bothering them or that they diden't want to bothered. The owner even gave us an attitude the whole time we were there when we would communicate with her. When we would ask her for change because we wanted to get something from the vending machines at the campground and we diden't have any change she gave us an attitude about that. But then it got a whole lot worse. We stayed only four nights at that campground and once we gave her the money to stay there, their was no REFUND. But only after staying two nights their we were definitly ready to pack up and leave that campground and we allmost started home a day early than planned and not spend a day in the mountains.Because on Sunday night a couple of us decided that we wanted to go swimming after spending sometime at DOLLYWOOD. So we went to the pool and their was some kids all ready at the pool from a family from GEORGIA. And so we go into the pool area and my brother and cousin get into the pool and start playing in the pool, Meanwhile i have my swimsuit on but i don't go swimming because i'm on my cell phone talking to my best friend back home and their son tells me to get the - off the phone. And this is shortly before the pool is supposed to close so my cousin and brother get out of the pool and we leave to go back to our cabin. When we get back to our cabin and were getting ready to get dressed my cousin tells my dad what the little boy said and of course their parent's aren't watching them just letting them do what ever they want. So my dad goes and confronts them about what they said but i diden't hear him say that because i wasen't listening and paying attention to them anyways beacuse i was busy talking on the phone. And while my dad confronts the little boy about saying that and his dad doesen't like that so his dad starts yelling at my dad and their yelling back and forth at each other. And then the mean and grouchy owner comes out because at this point my dad goes and tells the owner about the fact that they let their son harrass his daughter. And so she comes out and were arguing back and forth with them over the harassment and yelling,screaming, cussing and making threats to each other and she the owner doesn't do nothing about it,She just says both of you just go back where you were and don't talk to each or bother each other. At this point were fed up and were ready to leave for sure and to go home. I'm really mad and upset by this time because i went down to the office with my dad to report the harassment to the owners and then when they weren't going to do anything about it it just made me really furious that they were just going to let something like that happen and go on at their campground that they were supposed to own and not do a thing about it. And i suggest that people who are thinking about staying at SHADY OAKS think about the fact that if their going to just let someone harrass someone at their campground that their suposed to own and not do a thing about it, what else are they going to allow to go on at their campground. I was so mad and ready to leave that i just decided that i was going to go and change my clothes in our car. I mean to stay at this campground it's reasonably priced but i don't suggest someone to stay at this campground because it's not worth the hassle that you have to deal with at this campground. And "I will never stay here ever again"!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank GospelGirl2004
Reviewed September 7, 2007

Come on,, youve got to be kidding me... I couldnt name a worse place ive stayed in my life.....Wait a minute, was so bad we didnt stay!!!!

• Stayed: August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank scottysbroncs
Reviewed August 2, 2006

My wife and I decided we would go to the moutains for the weekend. After looking on the internet we decided to stay at Shady Oaks. When we arrived our campsite for the tent was a spot of grass right next to the pool pumphouse. It didnt seem much like a campground considering there was a row of Mobile Homes (within the campground) directly across the road from us. I got the impression they rent them to year round tenants. We knew we would have trouble finding another place that evening so we decided to give it a try. The mobile home tenants directly across from us had loud mufflers on their vehicles and were in and out several times thru the night. The next morning we got our things and couldn't get out of there fast enough. A bit more info, The previous evening we though about getting one of the camping cabins but were lucky enough to ask to see them first. Took a while to get the key to open the sliding door and when we did get it open we were greeted by a musty odor and a general appearance of uncleanliness. Took the key back quickly. Also the bathhouse near us was awful. I dont think it had been remodeled since Abe Lincoln was a child. It needed maintenance on just about everything inside it. I've been in dirty Gas Station bathrooms that looked like the Hilton compared to this place. At one time I would say it was probably a nice place. But over time much of it has not been kept up. There did appear to be some nicer looking large cabins though. Maybe they are trying to improve their image. But still, my advice would be Go Elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2005