“Different but fun” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster

Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Come Ride the Hill and Feel the Thrill! The Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster is the longest downhill ride in the United States, with over 1 mile of track. So if you are looking for an unforgettable experience in your vacation here in the Great Smoky mountains, this is a must do! The vehicles are designed to carry two visitors in comfort but can be handled easily by one alone. The riders are in control of the velocity (up to 27 mph) and this gives them a unique hands-on experience! Rain, snow or sunshine, no problem - the excellent braking effect is unchanged so you can ride year-round! Tickets and packages are now available, age restrictions may apply, parents may need to ride with small children. Our track has thousands of colored LED lights so you can experience our awesome Night Rides! The great "Über Ride" is HERE!
South Carolina
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Different but fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

At the referral of friends, we tried this out this past summer. We had a family of five plus my niece and nephew. Kids range from 11 to 20. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. A little scary the first time because you dont know what to expect. Just release your brakes and fly down!

Visited May 2013

Durham, Nc
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Last minute adventure we were ecstatic we took”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

We had checked out of our hotel and were ready to head home but I had seen an ad about this attraction and decided to give it a try before our 6 hour drive to our NC home.

We have been going to Pigeon Forge on and off for the last 20 years and just love the atmosphere there and friendly people.

This was a new attraction and my main complaint was I could not find it because there was no sign evident as we traveled Wears Valley Road. I drove right past it and had to GPS the address to find it.

The facility at roadside looks like a small house which contributes to not recognizing it for what it was and hence my driving past it. The parking lot is also small and I would advise the owner to buy some land soon because this attraction will take off like a rocket.

The ride itself is unique because you are in full control of your speed and you alone are in a rollercoaster/bobsled type of car traveling down a small mountain on an aluminum track. You can keep your hands off the brake and go full speed, I would not advise this, but my 18 year old daughter did this and you do gain allot of speed. The turns are typical of many roller coasters so you will not be board.

From the starting position you are pulled by cable to the top of the mountain and have a wonderful view all around you and mountain peace to enjoy. I would advise the owner to add a few speakers along the route and pipe in some low volume country music to add to the climbing route.

Once at the top you start down the mountain and your skills as a driver are fully in play. You pick up speed instantly and only the brakes you use will slow you down along with the helix and high banked curves.

The ride duration is totally dependent on how heavy on the brake you are but all good things must come to an end. Duration as a whole is not much different than a very good roller coaster once you get on it.

The only other negative is the price tag which at $16 per person was a bit steep and I hope that the price will come down as it becomes more popular. I am sure that it will become more popular and I hope the owner has expansion plans in the future because he will need it once this takes off.

1 Thank sqldatapro
“What a Ride!! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

I have grown up around the mountains and going to pigeon forge. I have to say this is by far the best attraction in the area! Nothing like taking a brisk ride/slide down the mountain! Workers are very friendly and just want to make sure your experience is a great one!! This is a must visit when you are in the area!

Fort Mitchell, Kentucky
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“DO NOT MISS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

We took our 6 and 4 year old daughters and they loved every minute. One shouted awesome the entire way down and the other wanted to go faster. The staff was great and didn't seem to be going through the motions. The guy at the beginning was talking to everyone and helpful. The guy at the end was asking who had fun and just seemed to be enjoying see all the smiles. If you are in Pigeon Forge don't miss.

1 Thank Tyler H
Alabama
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“must do this so awesome!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

my children ages 16 and 11 did this and begged to do it again and again.... very well run and was fast getting on and off. fun for all ages!!!