“Worth A Try”

Poynor's Pommes Frites
Ranked #11 of 184 Restaurants in Pigeon Forge
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: DIRECTIONS to The Island In Pigeon Forge - a new red light has been installed between lights #3 & #4 for The Island Dr... Turn onto 'The Island Dr.' And we're located under the "Smoky Mountain Wheel" on the right side of the development. "German Food Served FAST" -- Specialty Items Include: Pommes Frites / Belgium Fries & Dipping Sauces, a Variety of Authentic German Sausages / Bratwursts, Fresh Baked Brötchen (German Hard Rolls) and several Desserts including Spaghetti Ice. HOPE TO SEE YA SOON!
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

This was actually our second trip here. Everything is tasty. We had sausages and frites, everything was fresh and delicious. A little pricey but worth it. You get what you pay for. Two can share a regular size of the frites. Nice to have something different. Make sure you try one of the homemade dipping sauces.

1  Thank Naturegirl82
Write a ReviewReviews (1,436)

Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I ate here for lunch on July 19, 2014. What an experience! The pommes frites, ok, fries y'all, were hot, crisp on the outside, creamy on the inside with a little kosher salt. Their variety of dipping sauces are magnificent. They each start with a mayonnaise base, just like in Europe. The brats are authentic German brats and not the typical Johnsonville style trying to be passed off as German. They were perfect with just the right snap when you bight into them.

The brats are served on homemade broetchen which is made in the store. Broetchen is a German roll that is crusty on the outside but chewy and soft on the inside. Top it off with warm sauerkraut, and a selection of good German mustards, and you have German Nervana! Of course, for the less adventurous, they have plain yellow mustard for your brat and also just plain ketchup for the frites; yuck!

If you visit The Island in Pigeon Forge you have to try Poyner's Pommes Frites! It is, well, Wunderbar!!! It was so good we visited again on July 21st before we had to leave Pigeon Forge. We will be back in October and already have plans to eat here again. I wonder if there is a "Frites Anonymous" out there? I know I'm addicted.

3  Thank beachkidd
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

My German grandmother, or Oma, said that Pommes Frites' brats were the bet she's had in American in fifty years! We loved it here. The French fries were amazingly fresh and the spaghetti ice hit the spot! The food is beyond worth the price which I found completely reasonable! I'll be back before my vacation ends.

2  Thank AllysaJ2013
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

- Yes, the fries were very good, as well as their speciality sauces. The fries were quite fresh, so much so that they were scorching hot when they arrived at the table. We didn't try their bratwurst, but I peeked at them when people beside me were eating. They looked yummy at least!
- The cashier and the cook, who is also the owner, were very friendly and helpful.
- The environment is very casual with some limited seating. Good for a quick snack or meal.

- Even though the food was good, it seemed rather pricy for what it was. Perhaps the quality of the food is superior, but the increase in price seemed disproportionate to the increase in quality.
- The menu is limited, probably by design so that they focus on only a few foods and do them well. Still, I felt that the lack of options was working against them here.

For what Poynor's does, they do very well. If all you want is bratwurst and fries, then this will work for you.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

we went on saturday night. 07/19/2014. ordered a large fry thats 7.77 cents, which is no problem. waited about 15 minutes for them to cook. 2 other customers were in store. there were three males working and a young lady running the cash register. upon fries being served two of the male employees start having a conversation over which order of fries is the large and which is the regular. the couple that ordered before us received a regular order. then they brought our large order. the first couple made the remark there is no difference in size and started laughing.
I agreed and made my way to the cashier which was eating her own order of fries. I asked her whats the difference in the two order of Fries served, and she could not answer and turned to the guy mopping the floor. he stated there is more in the cone. I then stated the cook and the other guy could not even figure it out. all employees then disappeared to the back of the stiore. the female continued to eat her fries. another customer enters the store and there were no employees for a good 3 minutes because they all went to the back.The customer asked if I could take her order and I said no , i don't work here. my fries were good but I also received the bottom of the order because my wife and I got half fries and half crisy burnt miny fries from the bottom of the basket. the cashier had great looking fries. do not order the large as it is a joke for the 3.00 extra. I met the owner last year and he was great, but I don't like spending 11.00 for a large fries and 1 soda to feel like I got took by a bunch of kids that can't even tell the difference in size of what there serving.

4  Thank beach2771