“The only place we stay in Pigeon Forge!”
Review of James Manor

and 1 more site!
James Manor
Ranked #60 of 91 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
“The only place we stay in Pigeon Forge!”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I and my family have been staying here for 7 years, going on 8, now. Never have had any issues during any of our stays. It is a great place. The atmosphere is great, prices are reasonable and the staff are always friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013
JamesManorStaff, Owner at James Manor, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thanks for your comments. We appreciate your taking the time and posting nice comments. We look forward to having you back as a repeat guest in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My review comes after many years of staying with this hotel. New owners and management has definitely been a huge factor in the way things are done at this establishment. My wife and I have stayed at this hotel since 2008. I have stayed there prior to the new ownership since the hotel opened for business as well as pleasure. We arrived at the hotel for the 4th of July weekend. We stayed four nights and to be honest, could not wait for our stay to end. The front desk reception was definitely different. The overall attitude was not the usual southern hospitality we are accustomed to at the James. We arrived on July 3rd and the front desk was not overly busy as well as the reception we received was extremely unfriendly. In previous years, when arriving at the James, you were greeted with open arms and felt as if you actually meant something to the staff there. Mind you, I have been a so called VIP with this hotel for quite some time. This VIP status now, means absolutely nothing!! The hospitality was non-existent and attitudes have definitely changed with the staff. You can tell that the employees are highly dis-satisfied with the place in which they work! It was as if the staff were walking on eggshells and angry constantly. In years past, I would be charged for my stay upon checking out of the hotel. I have always requested on of the king, Jacuzzi, fireplace suites on the strip side of the hotel, as it is my favorite. I have no problem paying a little extra for the amenities. Upon checking in, I presented my VIP card to the girl at the counter. She did not introduce herself (She had long, dark hair, and younger) and was texting on her personal phone at the time. We were charged in full for the entire stay in advance. I was not given back my VIP card by her and figured that I would be receiving a new one upon checkout. This absolutely was not the case! The VIP discount for staying at the James is 15% off your stay. I was never offered a new card upon check in or check out. We had some questions regarding the 4th of July fireworks and other things. These questions were never acknowledged or answered for that matter. We also confirmed another reservation for friends that we recommended to stay at this hotel as well. We were told by this person that everything was as stated to us in a phone call placed to the hotel two days prior to us arriving. Once again, she was more focused on texting on her phone than our questions. We found out the next day that everything regarding our friends stay was not as we confirmed as well. They were supposedly booked in a room right next to us on the 7th floor strip side suite just like ours. Upon their checking in, they were placed on the 6th floor back side of the hotel which was not was confirmed by them or us. They stated to the same girl that checked us in and were told " Well there is nothing that can be done about that now, as the hotel is completely booked". Once again, lack of caring for the customers. Especially brand new ones! Mind you, they have already stated to us that they will not be returning to this hotel (After only their first visit). Back to our checking in: After we finished and received our room keys, we were gathering our luggage. A woman was checking in and we overheard the girl at the desk saying she would give her some form of Holiday discount. She called it a 109 or something to that effect and it was 15%. How am I suppose to feel after my staying at this hotel for several years, when someone walking in off the streets gets the same discount that I supposedly received for being a VIP. Upon finally getting to our room, the list of issues just gets bigger. The were no batteries in the television remote, we had to defrost our fridge over several hours, the room smelled as if it had been smoked in, found out later that the water jets in the Jacuzzi were not working and the floors had not been cleaned. We immediately reported this to the desk and NOTHING was done about any of these issues. As I stated previously, we had to defrost the fridge ourselves, we used the handy vac from our car to sweep up what we could on the floor, we received batteries from the front desk after going down to retrieve them ourselves, and were told that there was nothing that could be done about the Jacuzzi as the hotel was full and supposedly they had not received another complaint from other patrons staying in that room. Once again, nobody even came up to check the water jets to see if anything could be done at all. The POOR customer service just continues as our stay progressed. We decided to go down and use the Jacuzzi and pool since ours was not working. We then found out that the main hotel Jacuzzi was broken as well and would not be repaired until after our stay was over on Monday. We were then told that we only had a half an hour left to use the pool that night as the pool closed at midnight. We asked if we could stay in longer and was told Absolutely Not! So our Jacuzzi in the room does not work, The main Jacuzzi is broken and will not be fixed until Monday, and we can't even get a little extra pool time for the inconvenience!? Once again, LACK OF CARING FOR THE CUSTOMERS!! So July 4th comes, We go down to try and use the pool, there has always been rules regarding children being supervised by parents. There were multiple children aged 11 and under with no parents supervising them at all. We know some of the ages because we asked them and also asked where their parents were. They responded, " our mommie and daddy went to have alone time". We reported this to the front desk and as previously, nothing was done at all. The children were excessively rowdy, cannon balling and diving into the pool, and made it impossible for any of the adults coming to use the pool to use it. Five couples came down to try and use the pool while we were there on that first day alone. We tried the second day at the hotel and finally just gave up after multiple reports to the front desk. 4th of July evening comes and we went to the front desk again to ask about the fireworks display that evening. Our room was on the front side of the hotel and wanted to know if we could watch the fireworks from there. The girl that checked us in told us that we could not see them from our room and was insistent that we must go down to Patriot Park to see them. After staying with this hotel as many years as I had, this did not seem to be accurate to me, but we all took her advice and drove down there. Well come to find out, as I suspected we could have seen the fireworks from our balcony as they were set off down and across the street form the hotel. When we returned to the hotel, the man that was working the front desk asked " How the fireworks were" We told him they were pretty good after we backtracked to find a parking space on the strip, so that we could see them. Mind you, the same girl from earlier that insisted we go to Patriot Park says "Man, I wanted to see the finale from out front" Once again, not paying attention to the customers concerns or needs! Talk about adding salt to the wounds already! Overall,this was one of the worst experiences that we have ever had at a hotel. My wife and I have traveled extensively, so to arrive at making this statement regarding our stay, the lack of caring, customer service, and conditions at the hotel were extremely bad to say the least. Upon checking out we spoke with a lady named Kim at the front desk. We explained all of our concerns to her and she did not seem to be surprised with what we had to say. One other thing to add regarding the cleanliness of the room and hotel as a whole, After reporting to the desk multiple times,we bumped into a lady that was from what we were told, filling in for housekeeping as they had two housekeepers walkout. She said they were fed up with the way that they were being treated and had had all they could take. If the staff at the hotel overall is that disgruntled about the working conditions, pay, and treatment, this is an extremely serious problem when it is passed on to the way that the hotels' customers are treated. After explaining everything to Kim, she told us to call the hotel on a Wed and speak to the Operations Manager, Stephanie Holt. I did as I was instructed, and went over all of our concerns with her as we did with everyone else at the hotel. She stated at the end, she would look into all of our concerns and get right back with us regarding a resolution. I place the call to her on Wed the 10th of July and it is now the 22nd and have heard nothing from her at all. At this point, I really do not expect to hear from her, given the circumstances of how badly we were treated our entire stay and even referred in new clients that absolutely will not be returning to the hotel after the way they were treated as well. The sad thing also, I Had written a letter to Jai Hannah the owner as well, and have not heard anything form him what so ever. In conclusion the James Manor has lost our respect and business after the way we were treated! For prospective new customers of the James Manor, do yourselves a huge favor, look into the many other hotels and cabins in the area. You will find comparable places to stay for the same or less money and not have to worry about addressing so many relevant/disturbing issues. In several cases there are even nicer places with more amenities for the same or less money and definitely the southern hospitality that is a tradition in Tennessee. These issues may not seem to relevant or important to many, but after so many years of staying at this hotel which use to be an excellent place to stay, it is obvious that the new ownership and management do not truly care about the patrons it has. After so many years for me, a certain level of caring and excellence is expected. This has definitely been lost for myself as well as my wife. Truthfully, this should not even be a factor for the most part as a standard of excellence is expected by all customers across the board. This is a sad day for the James manor!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Richard D
JamesManorStaff, Owner at James Manor, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

I have read your long list of complaints and issues and can appreciate your concerns. Let me respond to your concerns based on the actual facts:

1. VIP status - You mentioned that you have been coming here and stayed many times since 2008 and prior and have a VIP card for 15% discount. Our records show that you have stayed with us only one time prior to July 2013 stay. We DO NOT issue VIP cards but have been honoring the ones issued by previous owners for 15% discount so that we could keep people like you happy and keep coming back to us.

2. Staff texting - I will look into this and speak with the staff on duty. I fully agree that you need to get the best service at check in and apologize for that. Staff needs to attend to you first.

3. Jacuuzi not working in room - I am not sure if you complained to the front desk. We write all issues in rooms as soon as they are brought to our attention. On investigating, we did not find that there was any complaint about the fridge or the jacuzzi. In the absence of such complaint, there was nothing that our maintenance staff is supposed to do.

4. Children in pool - You mentioned that there were many kids under age who were in the pool without being supervised by their parents. This is a matter for the parents to make sure that they do not leave the children unattended. We cannot assume the responsibility for unattended children in the pool. Front desk staff could have gone to the pool but could not get them out of the pool. We do not interfere with the way guests choose to use our amenities.

5. Your friend - You complained about your friend not getting a room next to you. Your friends reserved the room much later than when you reserved. Thanks for the referral. However, when they reserved, they did not request their room to be next to yours. And when they checked in, the next room was not available. So, my front desk staff could not accommodate their request. One thing that you have not mentioned is that they had 6-7 adults in the room when they were supposed to be only 2 adults in the room. Our policy about the occupancy is on the web-site and on the notice board in the lobby. They violated the rules and did not take extra room to accommodate that many people.

6. Late check out - You were upset because the front desk staff did not let you check out after 11 am - which is our policy. She was absolutely right in not allowing you to late check out. This way we can make sure that the rooms are cleaned in time for the next guests who will check in.

7. Response from us - You allege that you wrote a letter to the owner. No such letter was received. Stephanie, our GM, went over your concerns with you when you had called. Basically, you wanted a full refund for your and your friends stay for total stay. She rightly refused to give any refund. I guess that if she had agreed to give you refund, you would not have gone on and taken the pain to write this long list of complaint against the hotel. And you would have been happy because you and your friend would have got free stay - all at our cost.

Remember that it was the 4th July weekend, and like other hotels, we were all busy and sold out. During this busy time, we could have erred on some smaller issues and I apologize for that. But to go on and blame the staff's unhappiness, management etc. is all unwarranted and baseless. Our pay rates are better than some of other comparable hotels and my staff is very happy and are treated very well. Otherwise, they would not be there. Could they have done a better job - yes - there is always a room for improvement.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Travelers are raving about these Pigeon Forge hotels

Pelham, North Carolina
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This hotel was part of a package deal we purchased, so it was okay. I am not sure why the Hotel staff had the two best parking spaces right at the front door? The indoor pool area you could not breath in room, chlorine smell was overwhelming. The outside pool was not to code, you could not see the bottom of the pool, when my kids went under the water you could not see them, this is and was very dangerous. The housekeeper was very nice and did a good job.

Room Tip: Do not stay if you are looking to use the pool, could not see the bottom of the pool. Ask for a room...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Pennington Gap, Virginia, United States
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I love staying there. Everyone has always been so nice. Love sitting on balcony watching traffic. This hotel has the best staff ever, especially Dave who works of the evening. Thank you again for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
JamesManorStaff, Owner at James Manor, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
We sincerely thank you for your comments. Will pass on your good words to David. Look forward to have you with us again as a repeat guest.

Please do "like" us (James Manor of Pigeon Forge) on facebook to keep you informed of any special offers as well as current events and news about our area..
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed June 23, 2013

While I was not impressed with the overall cleanliness or maintenance of the room/hotel (mold on shower wall, hair on wall behind bathroom door, light not working near tv, clock not plugged in, ice machine on floor not working, etc.), most nights the small parking lot would fill up - but a lot behind the hotel is available, the check in experience was less than friendly...the clerk wouldnt know 'hospitality' if it jumped in front of her. Continental breakfast was basic but reasonable.
Location however is everything & the location was great for our trip.

Right in the middle of everything we did & in front of the new 'Island' area attraction.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
JamesManorStaff, Owner at James Manor, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
We appreciate your comments and apologize that certain things were not to your expectation. We will strive to work hard on them so that if you visit us next time as a repeat guest, you will not have anything to complain. By the way, we have plenty of parking at the back. Look forward to see you soon as a repeat guest. We will offer you a 15% discount on your next stay with us (not valid with any other discounts). Please print a copy of this response and present at the front desk to redeem it.
Liberty, Kentucky
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We've stayed at many of the hotels in Pigeon Forge, but James Manor is the one that we have come to rely upon. It's a great place to stay for a great price. The rooms are clean and nicely sized with comfortable beds and balconies, as well as an indoor/outdoor pool with hot tub for the kids. The complimentary breakfast consists of gravy/biscuits, waffles, cereal, donuts, and coffee/juices. This is our preferred hotel!

Room Tip: A road/traffic facing balcony allows you to relax in your room while watching the nearby attractions
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Diane C
JamesManorStaff, Owner at James Manor, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
I thank you for staying at James Manor and for your comments about the lodging experience you had during your recent stat with us. We look forward to have you as our guest during your future visits as a repeat guest. Thanks once again.
Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed June 15, 2013

First I have to say that the ladies at the desk were very friendly and nice. However, Our rooms were dirty. There were empty water bottles behind the TV, the sofa had food and candy wrappers in the cushions. I asked them to come clean the couch and they did, an hour and a half later. The door knob to our balcony looked like someone had wiped snot all over it. The kiddie pool was not in working order. It was disgusting. The worse part is there was a large note in our room that asked us to please leave a tip. There was a large Jar in the breakfast room that asked for tips. ( not that there was any one in the room to assist you with anything ). I always leave a tip when it is well deserved. I would never recommend this place to any one. It was dirty and nasty.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
JamesManorStaff, Owner at James Manor, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
I apologize for your discomfort during your recent stay at James Manor. Yes - we had to make a change in our housekeeping staff who was not performing well. Hopefully, that should take care of the cleanliness in our rooms. During the time of your stay, the kiddie pool was under repair and is now functioning fine.

I do want you to come back again as a repeat guest and would like to offer a 25% discount on your next stay at James Manor. Please present a copy of this response to the front desk for redeeming this offer as a way of our saying "sorry" for your experience. Look forward to seeing you again.