“Don't bother paying for the Internet!!”
Review of Oakmont Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pigeon Forge
Oakmont Resort
Ranked #45 of 92 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This place was okay. Our room was nice and clean. The second bedroom has a memory foam mattress which was suprisingly uncomfortable.

The only gripe that we have with this place is the internet. They use a service called Meraki and it's 5 dollars for a week of service. Well, I followed the instructions, put in my card info to pay the 5 bucks, but the internet never worked. It said I was connected, but nothing would pull up. So I go to the front desk for help. The women tell me that I should have been told that the internet is free in building 1 and to just go there instead of paying for it, because the "Oakmont" (meraki) network is terrible and slow and doesn't work well at all, and the "activities" network is fast and free. They also tell me that the GM will definitely refund my money if I come back during the week. (We checked in on a Saturday.) So I do as I'm told, use the activities network, and then go to the office on Tuesday before we check out to get my refund. The GM was too busy to see me so she emailed me with a "usage report." I replied I would just like a refund of my 5 dollars please as I was told by the people in your office. She said that she agreed with Meraki that no refund would be issued b/c of the usage shown. So I told her that I would take it up with my bank. I told her that my computer "said" it was connected, but no internet service was provided. It NEVER worked. So I had to spend 30 minutes on the phone to dispute the charge with my bank. It's only 5 dollars, but it's the principle of the matter. If I had gotten the service, I would gladly pay the fee. I was just super annoyed that the GM did not seem like she cared at all that I was told I would be given a refund that I didn't receive, or that the internet in her facilities is crap.

Overall, nice place to stay, close to the "main drag" without being in the middle of lots of traffic, and the cleaning ladies are very nice and friendly. I don't think we will stay here again though.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank cmmedlin07

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We booked here thru Interval International and we are glad we did. It is located just off the parkway a bit but with easy access to the Parkway and other places around the area. Just down the street from Dollywood too. We had a 1 bedroom 1 bath with a sleeper sofa for the 3 of us and it was very comfortable. Everything seemed fairly new and in excellent shape. Kitchen was small but that was ok, we ate out most of the time. The only real problem we had was with the wifi. We were on a bottom floor in the back(near the road) so reception was very poor. Other than that, we were happy, warm and comfortable. Everyone was very nice and they had some nice activities, except they closed early on Christmas eve and all day Christmas. The bed seemed to be a memory foam and took a bit of getting used to but then we slept well. TV in both bedroom and living room, we even had room to put up a small tree and put presents under it. Bathroom was large and had plenty of towels and a linen exchange was also available. Indoor pool seemed nice but we didn't use it. Liked the activities room but didn't like the stairs (arthritis in legs), but there was a sloping walkway in the back.

Room Tip: Try to get one in the part of the bldg closer to the office for wifi. We were next to the road but d...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank rosifraz
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I was looking for a place to spend a few days in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area on my way to visit family for the holidays, and stumbled on this place through an RCI exchange. The resorts I usually stay at in the area were not availablew on such short notice. I was very pleasantly surprised.

I booked a one bedroom condo for the week, although I could only stay four days. I had read reviews that it was an older resort that was being renovated. I stayed in a room that has not yet been renovated, but you would not know it. In fact, the condo was so clean and bright, with fresh looking carpet and tile that I went to the desk and asked if it had just been renovated. It had not. Kudos to the housekeeping staff. One of the cleanest timeshares I have ever visited.

The resort is located right in the heart of Pigeon Forge. So close to Dollywood that you can actually hear the train whistle from the park. Very close to Dixie Stampede, Old Mill Restaurant, and all the shows the "Strip" has to offer. It is an older resort with condos that resemble an apartment complex, but the amenities are quite good: conveniently located bbq grills and picnic areas, outdoor pool and hot tub area, shuffle board and horseshoe areas, putting green, children's playground, club house, exercise room, indoor pool and spa. There are free guest laundry facilities in each building. The kitchen was small but well provisioned. The indoor pool area is small when there are a lot of children, but they have an adult only swim time each night from 10-12 which I found quite nice.

They do have several on-site activities, although I did not really take part given my short stay. They appeared to be typical resort activities: bingo, crafts, ice cream social, etc. Except they did have one I have not seen before, a covered dish pot luck dinner for anyone wanting to bring a dish and participate.

The only drawbacks: Units are three story and there are no elevators, so persons having difficulty climbing stairs might want to ask for an entry level unit, Buildings close to the road can experience some "road noise" from the traffic going to and from Dollywood.

All in all, a great place to use as a base to explore all that Pigeon Forge and the Great Smokies have to offer.

The staff were friendly and very knowledgeable. I met several owners, and it seems this is a place that most owners use themselves rather than exchanging.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank RUtraveller
Reviewed December 12, 2012

When comes to accomodations the most important thing for me is cleanliness. This place was spot on. It wasn't new...but it was spotless. The walls are paper-thin...luckily there weren't any "oversexed" individuals in the rooms near us but I heard four alarm clocks go off in one morning. Granted I'm a light sleeper but that wasn't normal. Careful what you talk about in the rooms at the Oakmont...we overheard several conversations going on in the room next to ours. Other than the thin walls it was fantastic...the staff was super friendly and I'd be happy to stay here again. This was a wonderful stay on a RCI exchange vacation.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank fireball92771
Reviewed November 22, 2012

My wife and I and our two children stayed in Building Four (room 406) on the basement level in a two-bedroom, two-bath apartment for a week in November. The apartment, overall, was clean upon our arrival, and the kitchen was stocked with everything we needed. The apartment was a little dated in its decor, but it appeared to be maintained well. The kitchen was tiny... It appeared that they chose to create a really small kitchen in order to squeeze a second bathroom into the design. We found it difficult to cook in the small space, but it was not impossible. The beds were very comfortable with memory foam mattresses, and the showers were very enjoyable. The tubs had jacuzzi jets in them, but you'd have to be a very small person today in that tub comfortably. I was also impressed with the sound control. At most resorts weve stayed at, there has been a lot of noise travelling through the walls. However, my wife and i were struck by the inability to hear such noises from our room at the Oakmont. Overall, the apartment was adequate for our needs, and we enjoyed the apartment when we were in it.

As for amenities, I don't have too much to say because we didn't use many of them. There sort appeared to have an active regimen of activities going on each day, and our limited interaction with staff was pleasant. Nothing in our unit malfunctioned, so we did not interact with maintenance staff. I understand there is a pool on the premises, but we did not use it. We did use the free washer and dryer that's as just down the hall from our unit, and that was a nice plus. We considered using the wifi for Internet in our room, but it was not very fast. We instead used our cellular program as a hotspot, which was much faster. The wifi in the room provided by the resort was not free (but cheap), but it was available.

We didn't use many of the amenities because there was so much to do off the campus of the resort that we were quite busy. There were dinner shows, amusement parks, and many other activities available in the area. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Oakmont because it put us close to all of the action. Because of the "stress free" location and nature of the resort, my family and I would not be opposed to staying here again.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank GeraldNissley
Reviewed October 12, 2012

It was a nice clean place to stay. The bed was very comfortable. The furniture was clean and comfortable. There was a jaccuzi tub and an overhead heater in the bathroom. The kitchen was complete and had everything that we needed. We didn't have time to use the laundry, pool or excercise room. It wasn't a new resort, but was well maintained.

Room Tip: It has everything that you need without a lot of extras. The bed was the best one that we slept in o...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank dmarrocco53
Reviewed October 5, 2012

First, I want to clear up any misconceptions that I have read on tripadvisor:

KITCHEN: There is plenty of room for 2 people unless 1 of them is short and weighs 300 pounds.
It is true that there is not a lot of room in there, but this idea that 2 people cannot fit in there
is ridiculous. My boyfriend and I could both fit in there fine, but my brother had to be
in there by himself. However, 2 people cannot move very fast in there.

ACTIVITIES: DO go to the informational session that is held on Monday mornings. We learned a
lot of information about what was going on around town AND got half price tix on some events,
discounts on others. Did not go to activities at the time share. Indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs were clean.
There was also a sauna. The fitness center was rarely in use and included a full nautilus machine, stationary bike and treadmill. Very nice and spacious.

2 washers and dryers, complimentary to use, in most
buildings, no problem with availability. Wi Fi in room was $5 for the WEEK!

We are not owners here and this is the first time we have been here. We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit. Everything was clean and in working order. The beds
were VERY comfy! The kitchen stuff left a bit to be desired . . .no strainer for spaghetti,
no mixing bowls, service for 6 people if you don't use the silverware for something else. The dishes
are the crock kind, heavy and break easily. Take up a lot of room in the tiny dishwasher. We
didn't use the kitchen to actually cook in very much, just made salads, sandwiches, breakfast, so
we were not inconvenienced but some people may want to know this information. We bought paper plates
instead, so we were not running the dishwasher every day. Cups and all were fine.

We were on the 2nd floor and could hear people above us sometimes but it did not disturb us. They did not
wake us up and we slept til 9 or 10 every day. We were in building 7 facing the gazebo and there was
no traffic noise. There are no elevators. We checked in at 1 a.m., no problem. Night maintenance
took care of us. Excellent location. Did not go to Tuesday night bring a dish. Ignored the time share phone calls.

Had a great time!

Room Tip: Get a room on the ground floor since there are no elevators and one away from the traffic.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family