“Needs Updating”
Review of Shular Inn Hotel

Shular Inn Hotel
Ranked #47 of 92 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
Reviewed October 25, 2008

In October 08 my granddaughter and I spent a weekend in the Smokies. The hotel room was clean, but very outdated. Heating and Cooling unit would not work properly at all. Kept us up most of the evenings with its loud on/off on/off on/off noises. Desk clerks were more interested in who was on the phone than the guests they had in front of them.

Seems the Shular has lost a lot of its Touch.....Years ago it use to be a really nice place to stay and wasnt too overly priced. With all the new hotels in the area........they need to lower their prices to compensate for the outdated rooms.

Will be staying somewhere else next year.

Disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank TennesseeBravesGirl

Reviewed September 13, 2008

We stayed at the Shular Inn from Sunday through Tuesday in September. We thought we would miss the car show traffic since one show was the weekend before and one was after. We were wrong! Evidently some people come down the first weekend and stay until the next weekend. This would be OK but the Shular Inn allows people to park their show cars on the property and this makes trying to maneuver the parking lot a challenge in the front. Not to mention we were woke up numerous times during the night by squeeling tires, loud engines, etc. When we told the front desk about the problem of the noise, their response was "are you sure it was here?" I know it was there because I walked out on the balcony and saw and heard it. When we called Shular Inn and booked our rooms we requested to be in building B (They have two buildings divided by a street) because this is where the breakfast is located from 7-10am and someone in our group was in a wheelchair and it would be easier if we didn't have to cross the street. The lady at the front desk said that would be no problem, all our rooms would be in building B. At check in we were put in building A. When we asked why they said they had a group staying that wanted to be in building B so we got bumped.

The other workers we encountered on the property were nice and friendly. The front desk workers could take some lessons from them! So to sum it up: If you like rude front desk people, being woke up at 3:00am by car engines and tires, not being put in the building you were told you would be in, then the Shular Inn is for you!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank KentuckyWildcat_Fans
Reviewed August 26, 2008

This was a very clean place. I walked in around 1:30pm on Saturday, August 23, 2008 and asked for a room for 2 adults and 2 kids. The rate was 68.00 plus tax. The room was very clean and the hotel was nice. Had 2 pools. One inside with a small baby pool. Also had a jacuzzi. Both were clean and warm.
The other pool was across the street in the back. Had a small but nice continental breakfast also across the backstreet in the other half of their hotel. Will stay here again! I have stayed at some real nasty places in pigeon forge and was really scared to even try another place. But this was really great!

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed August 23, 2008

Our stay at the Shular Inn was average. The room was average for the price, but the carpet was dirty, the sink leaked and there was never enough towels. Also, both the indoor and outdoor pools needed to be cleaned. On the plus side, the beds were very comfortable, the breakfast was good and even though the indoor pool needed cleaning, it was opened 24 hours a day. With teenagers, that is a must. For the price, it was o.k. Like most people on vacation, you only stay in the hotel room a very limited amount of time.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed August 15, 2008

My sons and I stayed at the Shular for 3 nights. I thought that the indoor and outdoor pools were very very nice. I did not enjoy the hotel breakfast. It seemed as if there wasn't a wide enough selection and there wasn't quite enough food to go around. If you are going to book a room there, I would advise that you specifically ask for a room in the back building. This hotel has 2 seperate buildings which are divided by a street. I think that the back building is newer, and the rooms were much nicer there than in the front building which borders the main street.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2008

The hotel was very clean and the pool and hot tub was great. The staff at the hotel help me out a lot. One time I lost my cell phone in the hospitality room and the staff let me back in after hours to look for it and that's where I found it. They couldn't be more helpful. The rooms were very clean and they left plenty of soap and towels in the bathroom every day. This hotel is very family-friendly, lots of kids in the pool and the out door pool stays open till midnight. The indoor pool is open 24 hours. The next time I go back to pigeon Forge I will be staying at the shular inn.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I had read the reviews and was prepared for a little old and somewhat dirty hotel. It's weird how these review are either really, really good or really, really bad -- so as someone researching a hotel, it's hard to make an informed choice.

First, if you get this hotel cheap - under $50 a night - you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you pay over $80 or $90 a night, you probably won't be too happy. It's the old saying, "you get what you pay for." And that is probably why the reviews are so skewed one way or another.

Honestly, the hotel isn't terrible. I wasn't afraid I would get bed bugs but given a choice now that I've seen the place, I wouldn't book again.

The room was larger than expected - we were in the back building but it did have a musty smell that cleared out after a few hours. But when entering, it was as if the room hadn't been opened for days. The sheets were clean, bathroom clean enought but the hotel is old and a bottle of Tilex would have gone a long way. There were just parts of the bathroom that were old and dingy. I wouldn't have taken a bath in the bathtub but for a shower it was okay.

The breakfast buffet was nicer than most, with plenty of supply.

The main type of person that was staying at this hotel seemed to be lower income levels, there were guest standing all over smoking (can't smoke in rooms I guess) and there were cigerette butts everywhere. The common stairwells were very dirty. If this hotel just hired a cleaning crew to clean up the common areas once a month it would go a long way. In the breakfast area people seemed to come as they are. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have to be dressed up for breakfast but many of the people were there in their PJs, shirts with holes, no shoes, just lack of common respect.

There were several pool-parties when we were there -- I think lots of families use this hotel for family reunions because they would all get together at the pool for a party. No one was ever disruptive or loud, in fact, the clientel seemed very nice, but definitely not what you would find in a Marriott or even a nicer Holiday Inn.

The hotel needs updating and cleaning but that being said, if you just want a place to rest and get the place cheap -- stay here. If you really want top notch clean . . . .go to some of the newer hotels in the area (Inn at Christmas Place, Fairfield Inn and Suites in Gatlinburg, etc.)

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family