“Good Value, Loved location and room size, pools dirty”
Review of Smoky Shadows

Smoky Shadows
Ranked #65 of 91 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
Nashville, TN
Reviewed July 13, 2006

We stayed at the Smokey Shadows July 9-11, 2006. I would definately have to agree with the previous review regarding the pools. My daughters swam the first night we stayed and I did not allow them to re-enter the pools. You could not see the bottom in the indoor pool. Outdoor pool not much better. We also had dust in corners of our room. We did enjoy the size of the large room in the new tower and also was happy with the King beds even though they were a little hard. The location was great. Extremely enjoyed being on the side of the Little Pigeon River. It sounded wonderfully. We were disappointed with the "Deluxe Continental Bkft." It consisted of Little Debbie Snack cakes and juice from a machine or coffee. We enjoyed the location. It was very close to Dollywood and Dixie Stampede along with various places to eat. It was toward to end of Pigeon Forge so there was not alot of extra noise. Very quiet. Overall, we enjoyed our stay. It could have been a little cleaner, especially for a new complex. I would not stay if swimming is what you have in mind. I did think it was a good value and would consider staying again.

• Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Ohio
Reviewed July 10, 2006

We were dissapointed in this hotel and will not be back. One of the first things you see at the desk when checking is several signs stating NO REFUNDS. That should be the first clue. The in room hot tub did not work. The room could have been cleaner. To be a newer addition it hasn't been taken care of. Dirt in the corners of the bathroom floor and dirty carpet around the beds. Mattresses were hard and not comfortable.

The pools were not clean. People had scratched their names in the scum on the tile in the indoor pool. The outdoor pool water was so cloudy you couldn't see the second and third step going down in to the pool and the water had a strange smell.

The continental breakfast left something to be desired. Staff was not familiar with the area and did not seem interested in answering questions I had.

Walked the stairs most of the time, elevator was busy. Waited over 20 minutes for an elevator the morning we left because we had to take our belongings out to the car and couldn't take the stairs.

We love staying on the Little Pigeon River because our kids love to feed the ducks. We will find somewhere else to stay next time.

Overall a big dissapointment.

• Stayed: July 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
smokyshadow, Jetta Hefner General manager at Smoky Shadows, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2006

I would like to respond to the comments on this sight. The biggest problems we have is our guest only see the tower building which is 6 years old and they do not realize that the only rooms in this building is jacuzzi suites. The internet does give you a choice of room types to book. We do have 3 additional buildings whick are much older and this is where our deluxe standard rooms are located. We have had some issues in the past with the cleaning of our rooms however we have drastically improved in this area. We have earned our AAA - 2 diamond rating back andI I have even spoken to AAA in regards to going to a 3-diamond however we do not have the extra amenities to go any higher. We did have major issuse with our pool earlier this year however both pools have been drained and cleaned with a 98 score from the health department. I have never had a guest who has had a problem which was brought to my attention that I have not made every attempt to make them a happy guest. The no refunds policy is from our main office however depending on the circumstance we do and have given refunds to our guest, I do agree the signs look tackey and they have been removed. if a guest doesn' t wish to stay here we do offer other locations however a gtd reservations you are only held to the contract for one night. I would also like to thank every one for all the comments.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed June 13, 2006

We asked for a room in the new tower, but were given a room in the older section. Upon entering the room we noticed that the carpet was dirty and worn through to the backing in spots. We reported a dripping tub faucet, but no attempt was made by management to fix it over our two-day stay. Management also ignored our request to fix a nonworking light. There was lots of noise outside the room until quite late. The continental breakfast was a real joke--juice and cellophane-wrapped cookies, doughnuts, and other similar junk food.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 11, 2006

We went with out motorcycle group this weekend and it was a good value for $99 king jacuzzi room (if you book online they want more than $99, but if you call directly, they give you a $99 rate). Room was clean and staff was friendly, We never have maid service since a bad experience in knoxville, but they were quick to bring towels and linens when requested to our room.

We will stay there again, and the desk clerk said that although we only had 6 rooms booked, we could have called and negotiated a better rate than the $99.

We will know next time.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank 1atlantarn
Reviewed June 8, 2006

I stayed at the motel three years ago and am going back next week and staying there again. We've stayed at different hotels/motels through the years, but for the price, you can't beat this one. Our room was clean and everything worked fine. I have to admit I was disappointed when our room was in the "older" section and not the new section that is shown in the travel guide, but for the difference in price, it was great. The indoor pool was really nice, although a little small. The outdoor pool was very clean, but didn't have enough chairs to sit in. There is a balcony on the back of the newer part near the indoor pool that you can enjoy and it was easy to walk to the creek/river and let the kids wade and play. All in all, the stay was fine. Our rooms were cleaned every day and we had fresh towels every day. They did not change the sheets every day, but I don't do that at home either. You also get "vouchers" for breakfast at the Grand Hotel. They are owned by the same company. With these vouchers, you only pay for your drink. For a family on a budget, this is a good choice.

• Stayed: June 2003
4  Thank tumbleweed13
Reviewed May 9, 2006

I often go to the Smokies for short getaways. Hands down this is the best place I have ever stayed in Pigeon Forge. We stayed in a HUGE room with two king beds, a jacuzzi, and a private balcony overlooking the water. Our room was located in their new tower addition. Although we had the a luxury suite, the rate was lower than a standard room at other less desirable hotels. Everything was extremely clean and inviting. We especially enjoyed having a microwave, fridge, toaster and can opener. Anyone wanting to stay in luxury and pay economy rates should come here. The location was great because it was so close to pigeon forge and gatlinburg, located at traffic light 10 in Pigeon Forge, because it was at light 10 there was little traffic coming in or out of the hotel. I will stay here again. All I can say is WOW!

• Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank mookielei
Reviewed March 13, 2006

To start with The ice is free. I read several reviews that said you had to pay for ice, not so.the jacuzzis were very nice and i didnt hear any noise from the upper floors.We had plenty of towels.the remote to the t v didnt work but they fixed it within 10 mins.All these bad reviews almost caused me to go somewhere else,but after staying there for 3 nights I'm glad that we stayed. My niece that was with me is staying there again this year.It might not have been a 5 star hotel but it was nice and served the purpose of having a nice place to stay while in Pigeon Forge.

• Stayed: October 2005