“false advertising”

Smoky Shadows
Ranked #66 of 90 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
“false advertising”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2005

If you are looking at the picture of this hotel right now looks nice right? Wrong more then likley if you are like us you are looking for something affordable, well the hotel we stayed in is not this one we stayed in a little swing off of this very nice,very expensive hotel you see . If you want a good continental breakfast you have to drive to another location. No one cleaned our room for two days. I feel very misled from their internet profile. I wont stay here again.

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2005

My family has stayed at sereval different hotels in Pigeon Forge and this one is by far the worst I have ever stayed at. To start with if you look at the web picture you are in for a real surprise when you get there. The place that we were stuck in was one the first level of a really rundown part that should have been closed. This part they do not show you on the web. The first morning my daughter had to walk around serveral bags of trash that was piled in front of our door just to get to (breakfast) a couple different kinds of stall doughnuts and a couple different kinds of juice or bad coffee (what a joke). The housekeepers were standing around the front of our door smoking and laughing having a great time at 5:00am (Not a good time for my family). We requested a non-smoking room because of my daughter and I can not be around smoke. The housekeepers smoked infront of our door that would not close correctly so the smoke would get into our room and made my daughter sick. The bathroom leaked into the main room and keeped the carpet wet and smelled really bad. We ran out of towels 4 out of the 5 days we stayed. I keeped tell housekeeping and the front desk and no one would do anything about it. When we left I complained the the head of housekeeping and they sent me a voucher with 2 nights free in the same place. If my family had to ever stay there or our car, we would stay in the car.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Pigeon Forge hotels

NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2005

Beautiful views of the river from your balcony. Jacuzzi in room filled up in no time. Very clean, and a great value. Had rooms with 2 King Size beds which was unusual. Booked through ----.

5 Thank yourtravelbargain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2005

I read some good and bad reviews and this hotel so I make a agreement with them when making the reservations that if I didn't like the hotel, could I just pay for the one night and not the full seven I was reserving. They said that would be fine I could just pay for the one night. The place was much worse than the reviews said so after the first night I check out and ask only to be charge for the one night. They said that they would not give back any of my money even though I had a agreement and didn't want to stay their. Don't stay here. Their are a lot of good hotels in Pegion Forge but don't stay at any America inns or Smokey Shadows, this place is a dump.

• Stayed June 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rocky Point NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2005

This was the first time our singles group had came to the mountians without going to a conference. The rooms were great! We were in the new part with 2 king size beds a balcony over looking the river, a fire place and a jacuzzi. The shuttle bus stopped right out front of our Hotel. The staff went out of their way to make us feel as if we were the only ones there( they was packed) Our only problem was that we couldn't stay longer

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank linda28457
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2005

I read all the reviews, but I was stuck there because of a group event that booked us. I was afraid to get out of the car, but I had to.

When I got there, the front desk had a young girl who did not speak English. That aside, she could not find my reservation. It only went downhill from there.

I lugged up 5 heavy suitcases up the stairs, because the elevator never came down. I found out later there was only one elevator for the entire hotel. I was on the 5th floor. I had evening clothes, suitcases and the whole nine yards, and I had to walk up the stairs.

When I got to my room, after walking down a nasty, smelly, wet hallway, I could not get my key to work. I had to walk back downstairs, across the parking lot to the office, and ask for a new key. Most of my friends keys did not work, either.

Opening the door, finally, I was greeted to dirty brown bedspreads, a damp and musky smelling room, and more surprises.

There was one teeny tiny bar of facial soap. I sent my husband for ice, and he had to come back (after he walked down the stairs to find it) and said it was A QUARTER!

I got hungry, but there is no restaurant or room service. Too bad for me.

I called my sister, who had tried to get a message to me, but THEY DO NOT LEAVE MESSAGES or have voice mail! She had sent a gift to the hotel to be delivered to me, but I never got it. I still don' t have it, so I guess it's too bad for me!

The meeting rooms were across the parking lot, so we had to walk in the rain...

This is one sad hotel, folks. All the hotels owned by this man are the same, so be very careful with Pigeon Forge, where he owns a dozen of them.

I could not wait to get out of there.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2005

I recently got back from a visit to Pigeon Forge. My family and I stayed at Smoky Shadows and found it to be the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. Upon check-in we were disappointed to find out that we were booked to stay in the older section although we had been told we would be in the new tower section. Due to the dismal appearance of the older section we upgraded to the newer tower section for 79 a night. At first glance our room was really nice and clean however, this was far from reality. The carpets were dirty and we never saw any of the staff with a vacuum in the rooms. If you stay at this hotel do not plan on having towels...if you are lucky enough to get some don't expect clean ones. We had to continuously contact the front desk for them and when they finally arrived they were yellow-stained bathmats. Finally, we had to make the long haul over to the dreary office to get some. The elevator is worthless. It takes forever for it to come and because it is the only one in the building there is always a long line to board it. It was hard to walk up five flights of stairs with a heart condition and a newborn in a carrier. The help always was different, the garbage cans were always full by the entrance. The pool area was packed and the inside pool is not much larger than the jacuzzis in the rooms. The jacuzzis should be a perk however, when your trying to sleep at midnight and the person above you is running the water to fill up their jacuzzi don't be alarmed by the loud noise...the walls are way to thin. Another downfall to this hotel is that we were told the going rate for the tower rooms is 100.00 a night ...thankfully we got a discount but at any rate isn't it unfair for them to charge you for ice? Can you believe ice isn't an amenity at this resort...what's that all about? Fortunately, we were able to leave the hotel a night early and check in to a different one. We called the sales and marketing department and told them about the problems they arranged for us to get a refund for the last night we didn't stay. However, the day we were checking out was unforgettable and was the worst. First of all, we were looking for a cart to carry our luggage out to the car. Because the elevator was so slow it took forever to find one and when we did it took even longer to get it back on the elevator to take the stuff to the car. The morning of our checkout we heard loud noises from the parking lot when we looked out the window we saw some of the hotel staff having a loud argument. When we were leaving we saw hotel staff sitting on the guest desk having cigarettes breaks (we were later told they were in a meeting). When we complained at the front desk about the problems of the hotel we were told they were short staffed...this may be a fact but it should not become a problem of the guests. No one at the office wanted to get the manager because they were afraid she would get upset luckily someone was aware of our promised refund and we were able to get it and leave. If you are thinking of staying at this hotel seriously reconsider. If you do plan on staying be aware that pets are allowed and do run up and down the halls...something that is nice to know if you have a pet allergy.

• Stayed July 2005