“Wonderful location for first time visitor”

Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge
Ranked #58 of 92 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
“Wonderful location for first time visitor”
Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

This was our last stop on our TN trip...we had already done Memphis and Nashville. The draw for us was the indoor pool complex...and it was great! I wish there was a fitness center...would have ticked all the boxes. The king jacuzzi room was huge...refrigerator/freezer and microwave were a welcome bonus. The staff was amazingly nice. My only problem and it was overwhelming was the fact that this was a designated smoke free room but it reeked of stale cigarette smoke...so much so that i had to wash all my clothes when i got home and had to air out my luggage...really the only reason I may not return to this hotel...put in a few pieces of gym equipment and have truly smoke free rooms and you have a 5 + star experience!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Dzny
SmokiesLodge, Public Relations Manager at Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Thank you so much for your comments! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We can assure you that the hotel is a completely smoke-free building. We do not even allow smoking on the balconies as that could pull smoke into the room. To ensure this, we charge a $250 fee for any guest who is caught breaking this rule. Even with such an expensive deterrent, however, people may still attempt to violate the rules. We sincerely apologize for this, as the steep fee reflects the difficult in removing that smell of smoke if it enters the room. Please know that we are always willing to move you to another unit if available for any issue that might arise such as this. We are also conveniently located by the Pigeon Forge Community Center (about a 2 minute drive); currently, a day's guest pass is only $5. The center boasts a bowling alley, weight room, indoor track, basketball and racquetball courts, pools, aerobics rooms, and more!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Fayetteville TN
Reviewed August 18, 2014

The staff was great but the Jacuzzi room we stayed in has plumbing problems. The bathroom sink and the Jacuzzi tub backed up anytime anyone above us let the water out of their Jacuzzi tub. They gurgled and water came up in them for several minutes. We called the front desk and complained and they sent two men who told us that two inch pipes were installed during a re-model and this problem happens a lot.

This happened at night and in the mornings. The walls are also very thin and we listened to a child cry throughout the first night of our stay.

The hotel is not handicapped accessible because my wife's electric wheelchair could not go through the lobby doors without holding them open by hand. No automatic doors. I'm sure the plumbing problems violate health codes and the disability problems violate many more.

Room Tip: Get a room on the fifth floor to avoid plumbing backup problems!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fireman1000_9
SmokiesLodge, Public Relations Manager at Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
We are truly very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. If you did not, we have failed in our mission to give every guest a pleasant, hospitable enjoyable stay. We are glad to hear that we at least fulfilled that mission with our staff during your visit. We cannot speak to what any member of our maintenance crew may have said, but we can assure you 100% that all of our pipes and infrastructure received all permits, met all regulations and codes, and passed every code inspection. We have no infractions with the codes regarding any of this, but we are sorry to hear of the incident. Also, we are also compliant and up to code with handicap accessible entrances, rooms (variety of step-in showers, roll-in showers with shower seats, etc.). We are not required to provide automatic doors, but we certainly understand and recognize the convenience of them, and will seriously take your recommendation into consideration. Thank you for your comments.

Travelers are raving about these Pigeon Forge hotels

Ravenswood, West Virginia
Reviewed August 13, 2014

My family has stayed in the hotel for several years since its initial opening. This time was by far the worst. My daughter woke up the first morning with bites in several places on her body which resulted in a 4-hour ER visit. The manager was extremely rude and defensive and actually told me that I should have checked the bed upon arrival and that I had no reason to be rude about the situation. This was not an issue of a towel shortage or poor tv reception. If I came across as being rude, it is because I was looking out for my daughter. My parents usually stay twice a year in that hotel, but customer service/ cleanliness doesn't seem to be a priority there, so the hotel has lost valued customers from this point forward.

Room Tip: Check the beds when you check in.
3 Thank Ron P
SmokiesLodge, Owner at Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
I am filing our response to the review by Ron P. on 8/13/2014 entitled “A Horrible Experience.” I, as President of the company, can testify to what I personally heard and what our staff found out after investigating this situation. I happened to walk into the middle of a discussion between this guest and our General Manager. I found neither one of them being rude. However, after further investigating, our front desk log and the testimony of two front desk clerks state that the guest was extremely rude, offensive to them and was intentionally causing a scene in our lobby full of people on the night before he confronted the manager. He stayed two whole nights before registering his complaint, and, at his choice, he was in agreement to stay and move to another room for two more nights. He was demanding two nights for free from our manager. The manager explained to him, as I also verified to him, that in following with insurance company policy, we must turn all complaints into them along with our staff findings, then they make the decision on the question of fault or no fault. Our maintenance logs show no history of that room ever having a problem with anyone prior to this guest stay ever. The manager’s report also shows that the guest himself stated that he knew bugs come in from guests and also that that’s really one of the issues here-- If there was a pest issue, then who brought it in, especially in light of the fact that the room has had no documented history of any pest problem. Also, according to the manager’s report, after the manager had given him the insurance company procedure that we follow, the guest then said he would negatively portray us over the internet.
Regarding our cleanliness, judging by the numerous previous stays of his parents (and even his own decision to stay two more nights in another room here), they must have felt that we were doing a good job. In fact, our head of housekeeping has been here for 27 years and our most recent health department rating is 94% and those six missing points were not related to housekeeping issues whatsoever. Unfortunately, space constraints prevent me from being able to defend this claim with the numerous compliments that we receive praising our hotel’s service and cleanliness.
President, Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge, 14 Aug 2014
Clinton, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 12, 2014

My husband and I were looking for somewhere to stay in Pigeon Forge for a couple of days and I just happen to find Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge. What a great choice! It was very clean and the King room with jacuzzi was very spacious. Nice staff and right in the middle of everything on the Parkway. We walked to Titanic, Hollywood Wax Museum and Memories Theater. I would recommend this place to anyone. When I go back, this is definately where I will stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
SmokiesLodge, Public Relations Manager at Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you so much for your response. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we are eagerly anticipating your return.
Southwest Virginia
Reviewed August 7, 2014

This was our first time staying at this lodge. We booked a King size bed with jacuzzi tub and a adjoining queen sized bed with a kitchen for 4 people. The rooms were clean and in good order with only mild wear and tear. The rooms had everything needed. Coffee makers, refrigerators, microwaves. The only issue in the kitchen was the pans supplied were in bad condition and some needed replacing. We used paper plates and did not use the pans at all. The maid service was OK. One day they forgot to leave any towels at all and we had to ask for some. There is no breakfast area but they have the Woodfire Grill next door and a Cracker Barrel on the other side. They give you a slight discount at the Woodfire Grill for staying there but I was not impressed with it. See my review of it. The indoor pool area is nice with a tube slide. there is also 2 pools outside with a hot tub. The hot tub water looked dirty and needed changing. There is also a nice game room for the family. Overall it was a good experience and I would probably stay again.

Room Tip: Lots of traffic noise and kids running around unsupervised
2 Thank grayson_trout2003
SmokiesLodge, Public Relations Manager at Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for your comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We do constantly replace kitchen silverware, plates, pots, pans, etc. on a continual basis as they unfortunately suffer being stolen, breaking or damage. Please let us know next time if there is anything you need replaced, and we will do our utmost to grant your requests. Thank you, and we look forward to your return visit.
Ellenboro, North Carolina
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Stayed here last weekend. Had stayed here a couple of years ago. The new swimming pool/slide is awesome. My grandsons loved it! Only complaints I have is this is a big hotel and needs more luggage carriers. The morning of checkout, we and about ten others were carrying our luggage out (ours from the third floor), because there were no luggage carriers available. Because of this, we had to wait for three different elevator trips, because they were full, due to everyone's luggage.
The other complaint is, probably the reason I have stayed else where, the tv channel selection is minimal. I know that watching tv is not the main reason to stay, but after a long day, it is relaxing to have something worth watching to watch.
On the positive side, the beds were comfortable, the rooms very clean, prices reasonable and staff was friendly.
Will be back. Love the fact that the swimming pool has a slide and is indoors!

1 Thank rdnckmom
SmokiesLodge, Public Relations Manager at Spirit of the Smokies Condo Lodge, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Thank you for your comments, and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We have about ten luggage carts at the hotel, and we try not to have the overloading and crowding the lobby when not in use. However, you are right, at check in and check out time, they can easily be in low supply, and we apologize. Also, we have found that some guests keep them in their rooms, so as to have them available for check out, which is very inconsiderate of other guests and we try to discourage wherever possible. Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Where I'm from condos and hotel rooms are different things. Like Holiday Inn does not say that it is a "condo lodge" but you get basically the same room. In fact, you get better amenities at the Holiday Inn. I do not consider a room to be a condo just because the mini fridge also has a mini freezer. I also do not consider it a condo just because it has 4 ice cold swimming pools. I have stayed in many lovely condos and they have separate bedrooms, seating areas that are not the beds, and small kitchen with a table. At this 'condo lodge' you can get a kitchen and a table if you get the room with one bed and a fold out chair; or you can get a double queen room; but you cannot have both unless you purchase 2 rooms that adjoin... Trust me folks, up the charge by $20 a night and book at the Dollywood Cabins... you will have swimming pool access, beautiful views, your own personal jacuzzi(s), and plenty of space for how many ever people you would like to bring with you. or if you are just looking for a hotel room... the one across the street was $40/night for the same exact room. If you do decide that you want to stay here, you have two options for views... the gorilla's rear end and the parking lot, or the Pigeon Forge strip... make sure you get the Pigeon Forge strip side or you will not enjoy the view.

Room Tip: If you want to stream video for kids, because there are no children's television channels availa...
2 Thank Rebecca M
Actually, the architect and external sources certified the units as official conodominiums upon their first creation, and, yes, they are designed to be so with adjoining units that build up to a three bedroom suite. They were certified as condos to be sold. However, instead of selling them as such, the owner has opted to rent them nightly as hotel rooms, broken down to the small units, which are like regular hotel rooms. Many prefer the single kitchen unit that has a couch, dining area, kitchen, and fireplace, as this is most similar to the condo unit without having to rent more than one room, though large families do like to rent such. However, I am unsure why this would warrant such vitriolic sarcasm from you. We are sorry that you were not satisfied with your accommodations. We have had 1000 compliments to one on our new pool area, and also have people requesting the view of the Hollywood Wax Museum. We do offer parkway (as you stated) and mountain views as well. We also provide at least one cartoon channel. Again, we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay.