“Great time”

Big Rock Dude Ranch at Ponderosa
More attraction details
Owner description: Horseback Riding, Petting Zoo, Fishing Pond, Gem Mining, ATV Rides, onsite Chow-Boys Cafe & General Store Free picnic area Heritage museum. peace/guitet swings around the duck pond playing area kids ,Horse shoes pit.or just rocking on the General store porch.And surrounded by little cove creek to wade in.
Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

We got there about 3:45 and made it there for the last ride. The people were very nice and the horses were great. This was my son's first time riding and it made him a fan for life. The price was reasonable and they took a picture of you on the horse. They have rules so the horses do not get spoked because it could be dangerous if they do. The ride is up a mountain so hold on but the horses are trained very well.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

I took my wife up here to ride some horses. We have ridden before elsewhere but this was much more fun going through the mountain trail rather than flat trails as before. The sign stated 225 pound limit but I weighed in at 235 and was able to go with no issues. The guide was awesome. We talked the whole time and he was knowledgeable about the trails, and we could relate to him on a personal level as we had quite a few things in common.

We got their early (10 minutes before they opened) and we were the only two there. We had to wait a little for them to get the horses ready and we started out at about 45 minutes later. Forget the reservations, get up early and go. August is good as the people influx slows quite a bit. It was nice with just the three of us and we were taught how to control the horse and make it do what we wanted. For us, it wasn't a hold on to the horn and sit back. We got to actually ride.

We looked at another stable and they had a 6 mile trail. The 3.5 mile on this trail is more than enough for beginners. Your butt will thank me.

The horses do have a cruise control mode as they do the trail constantly so they know where to walk and are very well mannered.

1  Thank mercinary123
Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

My family and I wanted an adventure. A little disappointed with a slow paced trail ride. Did enjoy the beautiful scenery and the staff was very nice. Shocked a little that no cameras or picture taking allowed.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

SAVE your money and go somewhere else. I went with my wife and son after the website said no reservation needed, no wait. The man at the register was awful, group of 4 ahead of us he made one of the weight in on a scale, I think everyone felt terrible for her. then he tried to push ATV.s on them after he told them they weighted to much, then he told me after making us wait 20 minutes that he did not have a horse for me either... I am 5"10 190... I had to get on the scale and he said, sorry man I still do not have a horse big enough for you, I say what about Hoss from the Ponderosa? Didn't even get a crack from the guy. I said no worries man.. I will go down the road with my money.. and we did. Trust me.. take your money elsewhere. Don't waste your time.

9  Thank Vista T
Reviewed August 13, 2014

My daughter was so excited about going to ride horses. After researching and reading all the reviews, we settled on this location. I called ahead several times to make reservations, but recording stated no one was available, and no need for reservations. I tried to call several times on August 04, 2014 to check and see if they were busy, and how long the wait would be. Once again, no answer. This should have been a sign.

We drive out, approx 5-10 from the main part of town. The parking lot was pretty full, and several buildings with no signs on where to sign up for the horses. I finally had to ask some of the customers where we needed to go. Once we got to the General Store, there was an extemely long line. Once in line I see a lot of people with a waiver you must complete. I asked where do I get one. You had to wait in line to get a paper, then go to the back of the line to complete it. Only ONE person was at the register getting everyone signed up. We waited in the same hot, cramped line for almost 20 minutes without moving. At this rate it would have taken us almost 3 hours to get on a horse. With a 7yr old, this was not happening. So we left. I understand being overwhelmed with visitors or not expecting a large crowd. But come on, this is summer, peak travel season, hire some more help.

4  Thank jeckasa73