“Amazes Me What People Complain About”

Clarion Inn Dollywood Area
Ranked #5 of 92 Hotels in Pigeon Forge
Reviewed June 3, 2013

First off, I don't work there nor have relatives that work there. I am from Indiana and have stayed there two to three times a year since this hotel open, both with my husband and on girl trips. Each year it has been once in January, then July and Labor Day weekend. I have written reviews in the past but this one I am writing is because I follow the reviews on here to see what people have to say and now I am ticked enough to post this on behalf of my husband and I. In regards to a couple of previous posts due to noise, whether it be from outside or inside. We have stayed in room 621 numerous times (our favorite room) top floor, facing parkway, Harley dealerships, bar, go cart tracks and as close to the pool as any room could be. We love facing the parkway. We sit out on balcony during day or evening. Do we hear motorcycles, sure, is it to expected, because the hotel is near the dealership. Can we hear the sounds from the go cart track in the summer, sure, is it to be expected. Hey folks, you are in a tourist town, with activities for tourists. Enjoy the fact that people are having fun. You picked this hotel, you saw what was around it, so don't dog the hotel by your need to complain because you hear motorcycles or the announcer. We have never had problems from the bar by No Way Jose or No Way Joses and never had problems with noise from the pool. Have we heard kids running in the hallway, sure but didn't complain. Have we heard doors accidentally slam, sure, I have accidentally done it myself. We have had other rooms, by the vending machine and even by the laundry and have no problem. Have we had a few problems there, yes they are human and mistakes can happen, but they were fixed right away, quickly, with a smile and apology. In the May 27 post, saying "we have always had a peaceful location", we have stayed at many hotels Pigeon Forge before this one opened, and no matter which hotel we stayed at, whether back up on a hill in a fancy hotel or right by Denny's, and near Dollywood, you are going to have some type of outside noise, it is the nature of the town. If you don't want to hear any noise, then get a hotel in a secluded town, not in one as busy as Pigeon Forge. What's next, people going to complain about the clip clop of the horses hooves as the wonderful carriages goes through the parking lot giving rides to anyone interested and making memories. Oh and by the way, are you going to complain about the hotel when you stay there on the 4th of July, and complain about the festivities. I will be there then and you can bet we won't complain about people coming together and celebrating our independence. So next time you ding the hotel for pettiness, remember how much they go out of their way to please all of us who stay at their hotel. Think about all they provide for us-comfortable, clean rooms with flat screen tv, microwaves, in room refrigerators, comfy beds, down pillows ( and if allergic as I am, asked that they be removed from your room and they will do it), indoor pool with a separate hot tub. A outside pool for the water slide, a lazy river and hot tub. Fire pit with couches, snow cones in the summer by the pool, iPads in the lobby for adults and kids, wi-fi in the rooms, cookies, popcorn, lemonade each night that is free. Free daily newspapers, wonderful full hot and cold breakfast, with omelets made to order. And clean, they keep the breakfast area clean and food stocked up. Massage chairs, treadmills, exercise bikes, business area, spa on site, friendly staff, man doing drawings in the lobby,a s piano, books to read if you need a book, discount coupons and I know I have not named everything. If you leave your do not disturb on your door, they will leave a bag of clean towels, etc right on your door. You say that your person checking you out wasn't friendly, put yourself in their shoes, maybe they were having a bad night, maybe they had a sick child at home, should they have been "annoyed" as you called them, no but they are human. DId you smile at them and try to carry on a friendly conversation without just complaining about what previously happened or might happen. Yes, those things happen and a lot of time it happens more when made through Choice hotels versus making your reservation straight with hotel, again it's no reflection on the staff. I learn from past hotels that if you use your debit card to hold your reservation, you have a hold differently on your debit card than if you put it on a credit card to give the hotel time to verify there is no damage to your room. If you thought there was to much noise at your room, why didn't you take s minute from your time and let the front desk know, maybe they could have moved you? So next time you write a review, stop and ask yourself, if you had a issue, did I do what I needed to to fix the problem, if the problem could be fixed or was it a problem that is beyond the hotels means to control it, like the sounds from the amusements or the Harley's. When you check in, just enjoy your time in this great hotel and if you see someone without a smile, which is unusual, give them one of yours, a smile goes a long way.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Luvs2Travel5914
Scott_Ellis, General Manager at Clarion Inn Dollywood Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

WOW!! What an assessment of the world and the people in it. To be so appreciative of our hotel, your Home away from Home, obviously we are appreciative and thank you. Some people look at a glass of water as half full, while others seem to see it as half empty. There will always be all kinds of different people who see things different ways, but we must love them all...GOD COMMANDS IT AND I BELEIVE IT, That much I am not afraid of. The ever changing world around us will always have all kinds of different views of life and how we interpret it. But as for me and our house we will continue to serve and treat all our guests with the same level of respect and service as we can in all that we do. Thank you for your wonderful and adamant support of your favorite hotel, your Home away from Home. Our door is always open and our House is your House!

There are newer reviews for Clarion Inn Dollywood Area

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We just returned home from staying 3 nights at the Clarion Inn in Pigeon Forge, TN. There are MANY wonderful things about this hotel. It has a fabulous location (right off the strip and even across the parking lot from a movie theater), it still has that "new" feel, it is very clean, their free breakfast has a really nice selection of hot/cold items including made to order omelets, each room has a small balcony along with a mini-fridge, a safe and a microwave - - and it has a helpful staff. We didn't want housekeeping services while we were there, but they still left us a bag on our door containing towels and other items we might need (VERY NICE!). I also thought it was nice that the General Manager was on-site on Saturday, which seemed to be a very busy day at the hotel! While I don't travel much these days, I used to travel extensively and found this hotel to be right up there with some of the better ones out there. We actually extended our two night stay to three nights. I would definitely book this hotel again.

So why didn't I give it 5 stars? I think Murphy's Law struck us on this trip. We had a couple of hiccups that took place (including a double authorizing ---not charging, just authorizing----of room charges which no one could really explain, but which REALLY happened), but the staff worked to fix it promptly (thank you Vanessa). We then had another charge issue (only $13) that was determined to be a process issue and was quickly corrected. When we extended our stay, the staff had to make a couple of other guest room moves to keep us in the same room (much appreciated!!!). They did forgot to reset our keys for the additional night's stay (and I didn't think of it either) so after a long day out, we returned to our room after midnight only to find out that our keys wouldn't work. Back down to the lobby and it was a quick fix to reset the keys, but it would have been great to have had it done at the time that I paid for the additional night. Oh... and yes I paid cash for the additional night after the issue with the double authorizing of charges. The gentleman at the lobby desk (not the General Manager) seemed annoyed that I was concerned that it might double authorize again - but frankly, can you blame me after having it happen with two separate transactions? He was the least friendly of any of those with whom I dealt - very matter-of-fact, but was knowledgeable and efficient (and correct in the way the transaction was processed). It was also POURING rain when we were checking out. When we came down the first time to get ready to head home, a large charter bus was under the overhang at the front doors. We returned to the room and waited about 30 minutes. When we came down again, the bus was still there waiting for people to load. There were a number of families (like ours) who had to go out into the parking lot (having to go around the bus) and take our bags out into the pouring rain (cats and dogs rain!) I mentioned this to the staff who said they were sure the bus would be done loading soon, but did nothing to address it. I realize that the people on the charter bus were guests too, but it would have been great to have the bus on the other side of the overhang. They could still have gotten people on the bus without getting them wet and the rest of us could have gotten on the road without feeling like we had showered with our clothing on!!!

So ..... bottom line.... in spite of Murphy's Law striking, we still had a very nice time at the Clarion Inn in Pigeon Forge and we would definitely book there again. Even when things happen, having a responsive, helpful and courteous staff can make all of the difference in how you feel about the overall experience... and overall, it was a VERY GOOD experience. THANK YOU!!!

3  Thank Lisa F

O.K., the bus thing should be addressed and you gave us a good idea from now on and you were dead on. Buses take time to load and unload and we can move them to the other side of the island, but you have to admit, we don't control the weather. We also have umbrellas behind the desk, should you ever need one, even if there isn't a bus in the way. As far as the charge account problem that's the kind of problems(technical problems) you run into when using those kind of cards and/or gift cards which also charge transaction fees separately. But, you yourself said we fixed the problem. Your 4 out 5 stars at the top punishes the entire staff. If you had noted it at the bottom under service then sent me a personal email about the bus thing, I assure you it would have still been addressed instead of punishing the entire staff. Thank you for the review though, it was fair, we just want a chance to fix everything before you give a final assessment. We appreciate your business and your time and attention in this matter.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon. It was very clean, the staff very friendly and they go out of their way to make you feel welcome, and the room was fantastic. The staff had also made us feel special by the small touches they made to the room for our honeymoon. We plan on coming back to this hotel year after year. It is truly one of a kind.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sara D

Thank you for noticing the little things that our staff does as they work very hard to make sure the hotel is clean, comfortable, and welcoming no matter who the guest or why they are staying. We do like to do special things for people who may be celebrating special events in their lives and make their stay better than the average. We hope your stay with us was special and we appreciate the photos you sent, they look great. Thank you and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

A couple of things prevented me from giving this hotel a 5. First of all, the room was too small for the 2 beds and chair. Secondly, there was no outdoor pool, only a small lazy river and a water slide. The hotel is in a good spot except for the loud bar next door an is exceptionally clean. The breakfast is a FULL breakfast with lots of choices.

Room Tip: You might want a room away from the bar next door, it is loud.
1  Thank Tammy B
Scott_Ellis, General Manager at Clarion Inn Dollywood Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

We appreciate you noticing how clean the hotel was and how nice the breakfast is with its many choices for being larger than most breakfasts' you will find in most other hotels. Our rooms believe it or not are actually 2 feet larger than most standard hotel rooms. What you don't realize is that most double rooms in all other hotels are actually that, standard double beds instead of large Queen size beds and you have two of them at that. As far as the outside noise, we have no control over what other people are doing at a nearby restaurant but because we built the hotel so well and it is so quiet you may pick up on noises you wouldn't otherwise hear because of a noisy a/c running or walls that aren't fully insulated and so on. My suggestion if it should ever happen again is to set your a/c fan on your personal room thermostat to on rather than auto and then you have a constant in the room whereas since the rooms are so very quiet you wont notice light background noise way off in the distance. We hope your next stay will be a better one as we are always working on changes to please our guests. Your satisfaction is our business...

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We just got home today from our 10 year anniversary trip. Splurged a little more than normal, but it was so worth it!!! The rooms were spotless, everybody is so friendly, and the omelettes and full breakfast were amazing! We also had a couples massage at the spa, and it was fabulous. The masseurs were genuine, professional, and very talented! Definitely worth the money. Made for a wonderful, relaxing vacation. Loved everything about our stay. Already looking forward to the next time we can stay there. Lived seeing the Christian programming, and faith based materials throughout as well! Good job clarion!!!

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank You for the compliments and we do have many Christian friends including our friends that are Gospel and Bluegrass Groups and singing families like the Easters (JeffandSheriEaster.com) and the Isaacs (Info@Isaacs.com) and others who pass through the area and sometimes stay with us from time to time. We hope you enjoyed all of your vacation while you were here and we hope to see you again soon here at your New Home away from Home.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

As an employee of another Choice Hotel, we had several options on where to stay when visiting Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg that would have been more economical. Side note: We decided on a last minute trip, so employee rates were not available. After reading many tripadvisor/hotel reviews, price no longer became an issue.

Clarion Inn lived up to expectation that we had, and exceeded them. The room was perfectly clean, the Front desk clerks were extremely helpful, and breakfast was great.

The Manager, Scott Ellis, took time out of his busy schedule to chat with me about his hotel and even provided some of their success tips for me to take back to my hotel. The Clarion Inn is our new Hotel of choice when we travel to Pigeon Forge. I Hope to see everyone's friendly faces later this summer.

Cheryl from Clarksville, TN

1  Thank CherylMDOS
Scott_Ellis, General Manager at Clarion Inn Dollywood Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Cheryl, Thank You so much for the review and knowing that you couldn't get in on an employee rate is even more appreciative for writing a review. But, as you saw we are in the people business, like yourself with your brand under the choice hotel umbrella, and we all want to work together for the best possible hospitality one can render. The goal is to provide the customer a good stay at a reasonable rate for the amenities and services you provide. Backing that should be good customer service by your staff. Thank You for staying with us and let us know if there is anything we can do for you. We look forward to your next visit in coming to the mountains.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

What a great hotel! Great breakfast... the omelets were so good! Staff were great, friendly, and helpful! We didn't want our room cleaned and asked housekeeping for fresh towels and wash clothes after our first night, and was given fresh linens everyday without asking! Great location on the strip, we went walking and sightseeing one night. The bed and pillows were so comfy, we got some much needed rest:) Our room was big and comfy!! Pools, fire pit, slide, lazy river, and jacuzzi were so relaxing and romantic! By far this is the best hotel we have ever stayed in! We will stay here the next time were in Pigeon Forge, Tn!! 5 STARS AND TWO THUMBS UP!!!!!

Octavia & Scott from Ga

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank truleighme79

All of the staff appreciates your compliments and are appreciative that they had the opportunity to serve you. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel, its amenities and services. We always try to have something for everyone and are always adding to those services or amenities where it's important to the guests. The number of different attractions and show tickets are too numerous to name, that our front desk can help you with. We are always trying to save the guest money and make visiting the area so easy no matter what you want to see or do. We hope to see you again soon here at the Most Fun Place to Stay in the SMOKIES!