“Panoramic View - Not worth the money!”

Smoky Mountain Lodging
Reviewed September 25, 2012

First, let me say the staff in the office at Black Bear Lodging were great! My review is based strictly on the quality of the place we stayed. Please do not stay here - the beds were extremely uncomfortable - the one on the 3rd floor was broken down badly. It was dirty - upstairs especially. The toilets did not flush properly. The shower knobs were broken. Honestly, this place was a dump! Of course, it was for sale...maybe that's the reason why they're not putting any effort into fixing it up.
The only thing good about the place was the view.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this place.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank bird8796
BlackBearLodging, Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay in Panoramic Indulgence. This property has always been a very popular cabin. We have taken your review and addressed the maintenance issues. Once again I would like to apologize about your stay and we hope that you will consider using Black Bear Lodging again in the future while visiting our area.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I come to Pigeon Forge every December for a mini vacation. For the last few years, we have used Black Bear Lodging. We've stayed at several different cabins and we have always loved each one. The staff are helpful. Great company to rent from :)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review! We appreciate that you have taken the time to comment on your stays with Black Bear Lodging! December is a beautiful time to visit our area. The Winterfest lighting displays are being put in position and the city is gearing towards the Winterfest kick-off in November! We can't wait to have you back!

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Overall our stay was pretty decent, we stayed the weekend of August 10th through the 13th, 2012. I absolutely love Angel's Wing cabin for the most part and did not really have any issues until our last day there, I will say the ride up to the cabin in the Shagbark community is pretty rough and a little scary at points, also the maps that are given are pretty hard to follow, need better signs or a better map indicating the actual cabin numbers, and should really consider trying to pave all the roads up through there. I did find some spiders and spider webs in the cabin however that is to be expected. I will have to say that the bees that were there were horrible, I know we were in the wilderness but I would recommend maybe either keeping something to kill bees and bugs at the cabins or at least warn your guest before they come to bring something themselves for bees and bugs. My friend that came along with me is severely allergic to bees so he did not really get to enjoy the outside very much as on our back deck where the hot tub and grill were there were some really huge bees not even sure what kind they were but I am sure if he would have got stung we would have been in serious trouble even though he brought 2 of his epi pens with him. I would have to say I really like the set up of Angel's Wing overall except for how the tv was in the bedroom because it was in the closet above the washer and dryer and it was a much older tv that was very small so pretty hard to lay in bed an watch tv and also decorations or things that are not being used should really be a little better placed and organized as things were just put in the closet in the way pretty much. I really loved the smell of the cabin when we walked in, it smelled like fresh cut wood and for the most part the cabin was pretty well cleaned. Ok so the really bad of our trip, the last day I was highly disappointed, I had got up from a nap on Sunday afternoon and got in the hot tub for a little while, then I was going to take my shower before cooking, well we had washed a small load of clothes earlier that day and my friend had already taken his shower earlier that morning. When I got out of the hot tub and went to take a shower the water pressure was really low so I figured it was on well water considering how far out we were and I am used to well water at home so I figured give it a few hours and it would build back up, so I decided to go ahead and start cooking, I washed the 3 or 4 dishes there were and by the time I had finished the water was completely gone. Well after a few hours of still no water we tried using the phone in the cabin which we had no need for up until this point and we could not get it to work and we had no cell phone reception and I had not driven out anywhere all weekend because of not liking driving on the roads so I did not want to drive to the main office which was several miles away or to get cell reception so I waited another few hours. After about 4 hours I decided to walk up to one of the neighbor cabins that I had heard people at and ask if they had a phone that worked I could use, thankfully they were very nice and they did have a working phone, I also found out that them along with the cabin beside of them in which were all through different cabin rental companies were all out of water so I assume we were more than likely all on the same well which is absolutely crazy but anyway I called Black Bear Lodging and explained what was going on and the lady ask how long it had been so I told her and I also told her that the phone in my cabin did not work and she told me that some of the cabins only have 911 access which upset me a little because no where does it say that nor did anyone tell me that when renting the cabin but the phone did not work at all no nothing. So she said she would send a maintence guy up there. So Victor the maintence guy comes and by this time it is already after 8PM, Victor was very nice and he checked the breakers and then came back and said the well was dry but we could move to another cabin, well this being our last night I did not want to pack up everything move to another cabin which ended up being a good 15 minutes away on the other side of the Shagbark community and then unpack and have to just repack everything the next morning, not acceptable. So he tells me I can go use the shower there so I ask how far the cabin was and he told me it was in the same community just on the other side so I thought maybe a 5 minute or so ride, no wrong again, Victor did let me follow him over to the other cabin which was Southern Comfort, he gave me the key and the code for the key box and told me to use the cabin for whatever I needed so I went in and showered, well I don't know if this cabin hadn't been used in a while or what but the water had an awful smell, at first that night I didn't think it was completely horrible and just dealt with it because I wanted a shower so bad so after I showered it was already dark and I had to find my way back to the Angel's Wing cabin in the dark which was a task in itself but I did it, well the next morning we got up, packed everything up at Angel's Wing then went back down to Southern Comfort to take showers before we headed home on our almost 5 hour trip. I ended up calling Black Bear Lodging to see if since we had to deal with all this if we could have until at least 12PM(regular check out time was 10AM) to get our showers then leave Southern Comfort which they did allow which I greatly appreciated. So I took my shower first well after a few minutes of being in the shower the water just starts smelling really bad like sewage water but I was already completely wet in it and had no choice but to go ahead and finish my shower. By the time I finished the whole cabin smelled like that water, nasty. My friend that was with me would not even take a shower after smelling it, I would have rather rode home without taking a shower because after that shower I felt even nastier and I felt like I smelled like the water. Anyway I feel that you should warn your guest that the cabins are on well water and especially if there are more than one cabin on the same well and tell them to use the water cautiously, I did not even get to use the jacuzzi tub at our cabin because I had waited until the last night because I had something special planned for me and my friend but I didn't get to do that because of the water running out so I was very upset about that. I will say that the only good thing about our last day there was we did get to see a small black bear outside the back of our cabin which we really enjoyed as we had wanted to see a bear all weekend so that was one of the best moments of our trip. Overall I will say I am not definite that I will ever use Black Bear Lodging again or if I will try and find another cabin rental company in the future as I would never want to have to deal with this again, I know some things are expected and that certain things happen but running out of water was a definite problem and then to send us to another cabin where the water just smelled horrible was an even worse problem, plus having working phones in the cabins is pretty much a necessity especially when you want us to call when we are checking out of the cabin. I love The Great Smokey Mountains and I will say I did not let this ruin our trip but it did put a damper in things considering this was supposed to be nothing but a relaxing weekend and that last day was definitely not relaxing but pretty frustrating. I will say the staff was pretty friendly and curtious as much as possible and the check in and check out process was pretty easy. I don't often give reviews and when I do they are usually pretty good reviews so I wanted to fully explain my experience and especially for the price that is paid for these cabins I definitely did not expect to run out of water or have the issues I did.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cristy P
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This was our first time at Black Bear Lodging. We chose to stay at "Endless Love". The cabin was perfect for my husband and I. The drive up to the cabin was a little steep but we drive a Chevy Tahoe and had no problems. The cabin was clean upon arrival and the view was fabulous! We loved being only 10 minutes from Pigeon Forge. We are already planning our next trip with our daughters. Leeann was great with check in. No problems at all and everything was just as described online. I will definitely recommend Black Bear Lodging to everyone we know.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
BlackBearLodging, Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in "Endless Love". The views are definitely spectacular from this cabin. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future and thank you for the great review. We greatly appreciate your business!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We visit Pigeon Forge every August and rent from Black Bear Lodging every time. We pick a different cabin each year. Sometimes we like the cabin, but not location. Sometimes we like location, but not the cabin. Bear Hugs had it all!! Loved the location, easy to find, easy to get to. The cabin was great!! Pool table, juke box, hot tub, jacuzzi, and pool access. Very clean and cute, we didn't want to leave. This will be the only cabin for us from now on!! Thanks BBL for another great vacation!! Cant wait till next August! Reservation: 48707

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank SheffieldFamilyNC
BlackBearLodging, Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay in Bear Hugs! This is a lovely cabin and it is in a great location. Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay and including your reservation number. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future!

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Me and my husband spent our honeymoon in HoneyBee Hidaway in March 2012. It was perfect! Quite, private and clean! Office staff was helpful at check in. Cabin has everything we needed. The red heart shaped jacuzzi was perfect! Thanks for helping us make memories. We will be back for our 1 year anniversay!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

We thank you very much for your kind review. Honey Bee Hideaway is a great honeymoon cabin. Congratulations on your recent marriage. We wish you the best of luck in the future and remember, you must visit us on your anniversary!

Reviewed July 30, 2012

When we arrived at Black Bear Lodging the cabin we had orginially rented had an issue so they had to move us to a different cabin, this took about an hour extra, but they made sure it was an upgrade. The cabin was beautiful!! It was very clean and had everything we needed or requested. When we first arrived we realized the hot tub was not working, however, Black Bear Lodging had someone out the next morning to fix it. They were very efficient and helpful for any of our needs or questions. The one and only thing we had an issue with was the cabin was listed as a 2 bedroom, where i feel it should be listed as 1br and a loft. The master bed was in the loft, so if you come with kids and expect any kind of privacy for the parents, you are NOT going to get it in this cabin. However, with that said, that was the ONLY issue we had with our whole experience. We will definitely be back to rent from Black Bear Lodging.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
BlackBearLodging, Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you for taking the time and write a review about your experience at Black Bear Lodging and your stay in "Mountain Serentiy". We apologize for the inconvenience of having to move your stay to a different cabin, however, we are pleased that you were satisfied with "Mountain Serenity". We look forward to having you as our guests in the future!