“Black bear is a great company ! But I didnt care for this cabin. Kountry Bears and Honey is no honey”

and 1 more site!
Smoky Mountain Lodging
Reviewed June 21, 2012

First I want to say that as far as any maintaince issues ( 2nd story toilet was completely backed up and leaking down onto the first floor ) black bear was great service was speedy and I have no complaints . I just suggest you don't rent this cabin. If you want a view, wish to use the pool table , want to use the upstairs ceiling fan with the lights off, or don't want to play with the washer to get it to work correctly, or want to use the hot tub. The back deck where the hottub is has NO view at all. It could have a beautiful one, but nothing has been trimmed. The hot tub is shoved back against 3 "walls" so the only access is the front so it is next to impossible to get the cover on and off. It becomes much more trouble than it's worth. The pool table is upstairs on the loft area where the ceiling is low and the walls are close. You can't actually play cause you can't shoot from most places . And there is a hole in one of the pockets which my son found along with a pool ball that went through that pocket down from the loft and hit me in the head. Don't play with the pool table !!! The upstairs ceiling fan has two pull chains so that the lights can be turned off and the fan left running, the chain for the light is broken so don't be warm blooded if your sleeping upstairs. It's just not the nicest , don't get me wrong it's not dirty or horrible but there are much better. Keep looking.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Bulldogmom4
, Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Thank you for staying with Black Bear Lodging! We are very sorry about your recent stay in Kountry Bears'n Honey! We have notated your complaints and had them addressed. We were able to gain approval to have the trees trimmed to open up the view. The trees were on someone else's property, therefore, we had a bit of a challenge in getting the permission to open the view back up.

We greatly apologize that your stay in Kountry Bears'n Honey wasn't as you wished, however, we do have other properties. Please accept our apologies and give us a second chance in the future!

We look forward to having you as our guest!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I booked a cabin for July and the lady over charged my card by $500. It has been 5 days and I have yet to be compensated for these charges. There are no managers available to speak to, and I have received nothing but a run along. I am a sales rep, and if I ever treated someone like this, I would be terminated immediately. Please book somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank MikeZ71
, Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
We are very sorry that this happened to you. It was an honest mistake that occurred and was corrected on our end promptly. As I had explained to you and your wife per our phone conversation, our procedures were carried out correctly, however, the hold that was placed on your account was up to YOUR financial institution, not ours. We had voided the transaction moments after it was accidentally processed for the incorrect amount, therefore, it was never processed and deposited by our bank.

I even took the time to have a conference call with you and the bank manager at your bank to try and get this rectified. It was your bank that had their own policies to follow in releasing the funds back in your account. You did indeed cancel your reservation, without penalty of the 20% processing fee and we refunded back to your debit card, which is also something that is not our policy. Normally, we will refund by check, however, we did expedite the process and refund your card for the full amount of the deposit.

We greatly apologize this happened and it is not a common practice. Mistakes do happen and we will correct them as soon as possible on our end. As far as our customer service, we take pride in speaking to our guests and explaining our properties and services that we offer. I hope that you will visit our area and enjoy your time here!
Sumter, South Carolina
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I had originally booked a different cabin that in the description said that it was "close" to Pigeon Forge. When I received my booking confirmation, I called & asked Black Bear Lodging exactly where it was located. They could not give me specifics but informed me that it was 40min away! To me, that is not close. I spoke to my husband about it & we decided that wouldn't work for us so I called back & asked to be switched to a different cabin. They were very accomodating & switched us to Lofty Pines which is a 5min drive to the Parkway. I specifically asked if this cabin was well-maintained & the lady told me that all of their cabins were well maintained. So fastforward to us checking in & getting up to the cabin. The directions were great until you get up to the cabin. It was a little hard to find as the cabin is off of the road, down a hill & you cannot see it when you are driving. It looked really cute from the outside. Once we got in however, I was immediately disappointed. There were spiderwebs in every corner, spiderwebs on the bottom of the couch, spiderwebs from the ceiling to the kitchen counter. There were dead insects on the floor throughout the cabin. I immediately called the front desk & asked for a cleaning crea to come vacuum. I was informed that the cleaning crew had left for the day & that they would be there the next day to clean up. The carpet had stains all over it. The sleeper sofa was so uncomfortable (for my 2 kids) that we went into the closet to get some blankets to cushion the "mattress". I don't think the blankets have been washed in a while. Some had leaves stuck to them, it was just gross. The AC also took forever to kick on. Now I get that this is a cabin on a mountain in the woods but this was too much. I hope the owners of the cabin know what's going on with their property. The next day we were out most of the day & when we came back, the cleaning crew that was promised to us, never showed up. When it was time to check out the next morning, I voiced my concerns to the front desk & I was assured that I would receive a phone call from the manager today. No phone call so far.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kimevans26
Kim,

I am very sorry that you had a bad experience with us. I did speak to you the same day you left the review, here on TripAdvisor. We did credit your cleaning fee back to you for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We have addressed several of the issues you mentioned in Lofty Pines.

Our cabins are exterminated on a monthly basis and we will send the technicians out at the guest request if there are any problems with the cabin. This year, we have had a tremendously warm season, therefore, the insects are heavier than normal. This is not an excuse to have these little pests invade the cabins, it has been an ongoing battle that we h ave been working on along with our pest control service.

We greatly apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future!
berea
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My new husband and i was going down to the rod run in tennesse 4-13-2012. We had our trip all planed out for the weekend,As soon as we got in to tennesse we stoped and got married did a little shopping and then off to get our cabin that we rented mouths ago,the one that i called about 2 times befor we rented it to make sure that it was easy to get to in a 5 speed mustang,told the lady my car wouldnt make it up hills or gravel roads,,,,well guess what .The cabin was on top of a hill ,gravel roades all the way and we couldnt get to the cabin so we turned around went back to the rental office ,explaned what had happen and the girl told us there was nothing they could do..after a few more words they gave us another cabin that we could get to ...but....it didnt have any thing that we spent our time looking for in the perfect cabin.There was roaches,smoke alarmes didnt work,one was even torn off the wall.The out side grill had a big hole in it so the coals would have fallen out and started a fire so we didnt get to cook out at all and we called the office several times and the little girls keep being smart about every thing we asked of them..so BLACK BEAR LOADGEING we will not be back after the past years of renting from you.Oh and also thanks for a great honeymoon.I would love to know who the oweners are so i could show them the pictures we took during our stay.Thank you to the staff. From the Powells

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Debbie n Bobby P
BlackBearLodging, Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Mr. & Mrs. Powell,

We greatly apologize for the inconveniences you incurred during your stay with us. We understand that your honeymoon is a very special time and you do not expect to have any problems. With the weekend being a "rod run" weekend, our selection is very limited. Based on our availability, moving you to Kountry Bears'n Honey was considered an upgrade from the cabin you had originally booked. Per our conversation, we did refund a portion of your stay back to your credit card. Our staff did try to correct any of the issues that you had. Our maintenance staff did deliver a new grill to you and our pest control service did examine the cabin and did not find any trace of roaches. Our cabins are serviced on a monthly basis and also get treated for any other pests that are reported outside of their monthly schedule.

As I also mentioned during our phone conversation, we are not at liberty to give out the names and personal information of our property owners. We are following up on the issues you have reported to make sure any and all items are taken care of.

Once again, we apologize for the inconveniences during your stay and we hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future!

Reviewed April 10, 2012

My family and I stayed in a cabin called A Smoky Mountain High. Our cabin was beautiful and the view of the mountains was breathtaking. The staff were super friendly. They made our vacation a wonderful experience. I will definitely be using them for future stays.

• Stayed April 2012
BlackBearLodging, Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay in A Smoky Mountain High! We hope that you will remember Black Bear Lodging for future stays in the Smoky Mountains. We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to having you as our guest in the future!
Georgia
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Our stay at "A Gatlingburg Retreat" was great. The house was warm, inviting, comfortable and (last but certainly not least) clean. The rooms were very spacious and "cabin-themed" throughout. It wasn't too far off the beaten path and it was nice to look out and see the lights of Gatlinburg. We will definitely rent from BBL again.

We previously rented through Aunt Bug and after 2 years of poor customer service decided to move on. Aunt Bugs was given a 2nd chance since we really liked the layout of the house we rented but after the 2nd year with the same problem and rude response by management we decided it wasn't worth it to return to them. So the Quest began to find a new rental company.

I looked at so many companies but this company caught my eye. They had a nice selection of larger houses as we usually like to rent 4-5BRs. When I called the company the gentleman I spoke to was EXTREMELY helpful in describing aspects of the homes that may not have been visible in the pics or detailed in the descriptions. Add to that, this company offers some great specials making for a very affordable rental.

If I were to mention any negatives it would be the driveway. The description of this house does not mention in pics or words that the house in situated in a "dip" in the mountain, meaning a decent little hill doubles as your driveway. The parking is limited at the house entrance. Currently you can park at the top of the hill if you need the extra space but I have a feeling that the area I am referring to will someday have a house there. It would also have been nice to have some extra dishes/cups. For a larger home, the qty of dishes seemed a bit on the skimpy side but certainly not a deal breaker.

During our stay, I had need to call the rental office at 3AM due to some issues with the neighboring cabin (which is also managed by BBL). A live person answered the phone and they were very helpful.

To sum things up, the cabin was great, the customer service was great and the rate was great....I am already looking at which cabin we will rent next year from BBL.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 1gapeach
BlackBearLodging, Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
We want to thank you for your review of your stay in A Gatlinburg Retreat! This cabin is a fairly new addition to our program and have had a lot of great comments on it. We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Sara,
Bristol, FL
Reviewed October 28, 2011

This is the first time we used this cabin with Black Bear Lodging. Great place, clean, beautiful, closer to Pigeon Forge than Sevierville. Has all the amenities you could want. pool, pinic area,horse shoe, pit paved roads in this resort named Smoky Cove. Has ample parking and is easy to get to especially in cold weather, no steep hills to slide on. The folage this year was spectacular! Has a Convenience Store, Food Store, Piizza Place,and Bakery 1 mi away. We will definitely be using this cabin over and over again. Bristol, FL

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank edwardjohnston
BlackBearLodging, Owner at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
We want to thank you for your review of AAA Smoky Mountain Getaway! It is great to hear your stay was enjoyable and you plan on staying with us again in the future. We really enjoy the feedback from our guests. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future!

Sara,