“Awful customer service!”

Smoky Mountain Lodging
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I booked a cabin for July and the lady over charged my card by $500. It has been 5 days and I have yet to be compensated for these charges. There are no managers available to speak to, and I have received nothing but a run along. I am a sales rep, and if I ever treated someone like this, I would be terminated immediately. Please book somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank MikeZ71
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

We are very sorry that this happened to you. It was an honest mistake that occurred and was corrected on our end promptly. As I had explained to you and your wife per our phone conversation, our procedures were carried out correctly, however, the hold that was placed on your account was up to YOUR financial institution, not ours. We had voided the transaction moments after it was accidentally processed for the incorrect amount, therefore, it was never processed and deposited by our bank.

I even took the time to have a conference call with you and the bank manager at your bank to try and get this rectified. It was your bank that had their own policies to follow in releasing the funds back in your account. You did indeed cancel your reservation, without penalty of the 20% processing fee and we refunded back to your debit card, which is also something that is not our policy. Normally, we will refund by check, however, we did expedite the process and refund your card for the full amount of the deposit.

We greatly apologize this happened and it is not a common practice. Mistakes do happen and we will correct them as soon as possible on our end. As far as our customer service, we take pride in speaking to our guests and explaining our properties and services that we offer. I hope that you will visit our area and enjoy your time here!

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I had originally booked a different cabin that in the description said that it was "close" to Pigeon Forge. When I received my booking confirmation, I called & asked Black Bear Lodging exactly where it was located. They could not give me specifics but informed me that it was 40min away! To me, that is not close. I spoke to my husband about it & we decided that wouldn't work for us so I called back & asked to be switched to a different cabin. They were very accomodating & switched us to Lofty Pines which is a 5min drive to the Parkway. I specifically asked if this cabin was well-maintained & the lady told me that all of their cabins were well maintained. So fastforward to us checking in & getting up to the cabin. The directions were great until you get up to the cabin. It was a little hard to find as the cabin is off of the road, down a hill & you cannot see it when you are driving. It looked really cute from the outside. Once we got in however, I was immediately disappointed. There were spiderwebs in every corner, spiderwebs on the bottom of the couch, spiderwebs from the ceiling to the kitchen counter. There were dead insects on the floor throughout the cabin. I immediately called the front desk & asked for a cleaning crea to come vacuum. I was informed that the cleaning crew had left for the day & that they would be there the next day to clean up. The carpet had stains all over it. The sleeper sofa was so uncomfortable (for my 2 kids) that we went into the closet to get some blankets to cushion the "mattress". I don't think the blankets have been washed in a while. Some had leaves stuck to them, it was just gross. The AC also took forever to kick on. Now I get that this is a cabin on a mountain in the woods but this was too much. I hope the owners of the cabin know what's going on with their property. The next day we were out most of the day & when we came back, the cleaning crew that was promised to us, never showed up. When it was time to check out the next morning, I voiced my concerns to the front desk & I was assured that I would receive a phone call from the manager today. No phone call so far.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank kimevans26
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Kim,

I am very sorry that you had a bad experience with us. I did speak to you the same day you left the review, here on TripAdvisor. We did credit your cleaning fee back to you for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We have addressed several of the issues you mentioned in Lofty Pines.

Our cabins are exterminated on a monthly basis and we will send the technicians out at the guest request if there are any problems with the cabin. This year, we have had a tremendously warm season, therefore, the insects are heavier than normal. This is not an excuse to have these little pests invade the cabins, it has been an ongoing battle that we h ave been working on along with our pest control service.

We greatly apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future!

Reviewed April 16, 2012

My new husband and i was going down to the rod run in tennesse 4-13-2012. We had our trip all planed out for the weekend,As soon as we got in to tennesse we stoped and got married did a little shopping and then off to get our cabin that we rented mouths ago,the one that i called about 2 times befor we rented it to make sure that it was easy to get to in a 5 speed mustang,told the lady my car wouldnt make it up hills or gravel roads,,,,well guess what .The cabin was on top of a hill ,gravel roades all the way and we couldnt get to the cabin so we turned around went back to the rental office ,explaned what had happen and the girl told us there was nothing they could do..after a few more words they gave us another cabin that we could get to ...but....it didnt have any thing that we spent our time looking for in the perfect cabin.There was roaches,smoke alarmes didnt work,one was even torn off the wall.The out side grill had a big hole in it so the coals would have fallen out and started a fire so we didnt get to cook out at all and we called the office several times and the little girls keep being smart about every thing we asked of them..so BLACK BEAR LOADGEING we will not be back after the past years of renting from you.Oh and also thanks for a great honeymoon.I would love to know who the oweners are so i could show them the pictures we took during our stay.Thank you to the staff. From the Powells

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Debbie n Bobby P
BlackBearLodging, Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2012

Mr. & Mrs. Powell,

We greatly apologize for the inconveniences you incurred during your stay with us. We understand that your honeymoon is a very special time and you do not expect to have any problems. With the weekend being a "rod run" weekend, our selection is very limited. Based on our availability, moving you to Kountry Bears'n Honey was considered an upgrade from the cabin you had originally booked. Per our conversation, we did refund a portion of your stay back to your credit card. Our staff did try to correct any of the issues that you had. Our maintenance staff did deliver a new grill to you and our pest control service did examine the cabin and did not find any trace of roaches. Our cabins are serviced on a monthly basis and also get treated for any other pests that are reported outside of their monthly schedule.

As I also mentioned during our phone conversation, we are not at liberty to give out the names and personal information of our property owners. We are following up on the issues you have reported to make sure any and all items are taken care of.

Once again, we apologize for the inconveniences during your stay and we hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future!

Reviewed April 10, 2012

My family and I stayed in a cabin called A Smoky Mountain High. Our cabin was beautiful and the view of the mountains was breathtaking. The staff were super friendly. They made our vacation a wonderful experience. I will definitely be using them for future stays.

• Stayed: April 2012
BlackBearLodging, Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay in A Smoky Mountain High! We hope that you will remember Black Bear Lodging for future stays in the Smoky Mountains. We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to having you as our guest in the future!

Reviewed January 21, 2012

Our stay at "A Gatlingburg Retreat" was great. The house was warm, inviting, comfortable and (last but certainly not least) clean. The rooms were very spacious and "cabin-themed" throughout. It wasn't too far off the beaten path and it was nice to look out and see the lights of Gatlinburg. We will definitely rent from BBL again.

We previously rented through Aunt Bug and after 2 years of poor customer service decided to move on. Aunt Bugs was given a 2nd chance since we really liked the layout of the house we rented but after the 2nd year with the same problem and rude response by management we decided it wasn't worth it to return to them. So the Quest began to find a new rental company.

I looked at so many companies but this company caught my eye. They had a nice selection of larger houses as we usually like to rent 4-5BRs. When I called the company the gentleman I spoke to was EXTREMELY helpful in describing aspects of the homes that may not have been visible in the pics or detailed in the descriptions. Add to that, this company offers some great specials making for a very affordable rental.

If I were to mention any negatives it would be the driveway. The description of this house does not mention in pics or words that the house in situated in a "dip" in the mountain, meaning a decent little hill doubles as your driveway. The parking is limited at the house entrance. Currently you can park at the top of the hill if you need the extra space but I have a feeling that the area I am referring to will someday have a house there. It would also have been nice to have some extra dishes/cups. For a larger home, the qty of dishes seemed a bit on the skimpy side but certainly not a deal breaker.

During our stay, I had need to call the rental office at 3AM due to some issues with the neighboring cabin (which is also managed by BBL). A live person answered the phone and they were very helpful.

To sum things up, the cabin was great, the customer service was great and the rate was great....I am already looking at which cabin we will rent next year from BBL.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 1gapeach
BlackBearLodging, Manager at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

We want to thank you for your review of your stay in A Gatlinburg Retreat! This cabin is a fairly new addition to our program and have had a lot of great comments on it. We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Sara,

Reviewed October 28, 2011

This is the first time we used this cabin with Black Bear Lodging. Great place, clean, beautiful, closer to Pigeon Forge than Sevierville. Has all the amenities you could want. pool, pinic area,horse shoe, pit paved roads in this resort named Smoky Cove. Has ample parking and is easy to get to especially in cold weather, no steep hills to slide on. The folage this year was spectacular! Has a Convenience Store, Food Store, Piizza Place,and Bakery 1 mi away. We will definitely be using this cabin over and over again. Bristol, FL

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank edwardjohnston
BlackBearLodging, Owner at Smoky Mountain Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

We want to thank you for your review of AAA Smoky Mountain Getaway! It is great to hear your stay was enjoyable and you plan on staying with us again in the future. We really enjoy the feedback from our guests. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future!

Sara,

Reviewed October 25, 2011

After a long and last-minute search for a property to rent in the Pigeon Forge area, I finally found an available property with Black Bear Lodging. Although I was looking for a cabin in the mountains, the only available property was located in Pigeon Forge. This two bedroom, two bathroom house near the Pigeon Forge City Building was perfect for my family.

Prior to arriving to the property, Black Bear Lodging requires that you go to their rental facilty and pick-up the address, directions and settle any payment details. I paid in advance and scanned my signatures before arrival which saved me at least 10 minutes in the process compared to travellers that had not. The service was great and the information provided to get to the property was perfect.

The Dew Drop Inn house has the following amenities: Gas Log Fireplace, 1 King Room (with a futon for additional sleeping accomodations), 1 Qeen Room, 1 rollaway bed, Kitchen (with dishwasher), Washer/Dryer, 2 Full Baths (one located in King Room with garden tub/shower).

Although the house is smaller, the property is very well maintained and very clean. My only negative comment about the property is that the beds/mattresses need to be updated to something more comfortable. I recommend this property and the use of Black Bear Lodging to anyone looking for easy access to Pigeon Forge and/or Gatlinburg Area. The property is less than 1 mile from Parkway near Stop Light #6.

Room Tip: Ask for the Dew Drop Inn