“Average at Best”

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Average at Best”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Warning... this is a pretty long/detailed review.

My wife and I booked the "Deluxe Couples Massage" which includes a 1 hour massage where we were both in the same room and we had an additional hour with a couples bath, cheese & cracker/fruit/chocolate tray with ice water.

When we first walked in there was nobody at the front desk but within a minute or two someone came in. There were some tea pots, tea bags and sweeteners by a doorway but none was ever offered to us. The lady asked us to walk into the next room and fill out a form that asked some questions regarding any trouble spots we wanted the massage therapist to focus on, what we did for work, our stress level, etc... These forms were never referred to during the massage at all which made me wonder why we even had to fill them out.

When we were led into the massage room we walked through a hallway/kitchen where I noticed a couple of bags of garbage in a corner, not very appealing. The massage room was ok but it was a bit small. The two massage tables, large (couples sized) bathtub and sink area made things a bit cramped and I also noticed the light switch cover on the wall wasn't the same size as the light switch and I could see some of the wires and junction box, again not very appealing.

My wife and I had no complaints about the massages themselves.

Once the hour massage time was over they brought in the tray with the cheese, fruit and chocolate fondu with two glasses of ice water. Once they brought that we had the extra hour for the couples bath which was nice. There was a bathroom off to the side where we could shower and change back into our clothes.

Once we were finished we went to pay, the total was $185. I had a Visa gift card with $100 on it and I was going to put the remaining $85 on my Discover Card. The lady ran the Visa gift card for $100 and then ran my Discover for $85. I signed both receipts and was getting ready to leave and she said the Visa card had been declined. She asked if I had activated it and I told her I had. She tried to run it again for $100 and it was declined again. She said, "We have a lot of problems with gift cards like this." So I called the 800 number on the back of the card and the recording said there was $100 on the card. I asked her why was it declined when I had already signed a receipt saying $100 had been deducted. She explained that she had to run the full amount of the service ($185) before it officially went through.

So after a good 10-15 minutes of her trying to figure out why the Visa card wasn't working I told her I would just put the full amount on my Discover Card, so that is what she did. My relaxing massage had since worn off and I was aggravated/stressed about why I couldn't pay.

I get out to the car and check my Discover Card on my iPhone app and see that I had been charged twice, once for $85 and another time for the full $185. I go back inside and nobody was at the front desk. After 2-3 minutes I began to raise my voice saying, "Hello is anyone here?" Finally the lady that had checked us out came from upstairs, she had on a pair of gloves as if she had been doing a manicure. I had no problem with that but I would think they would have someone at the front desk full time. I showed her my Discover Card statement on my iPhone and said that I had been charged twice. She said, "No you were not." To which I replied, "Yes I have been it says so right here."

Maybe she didn't intend to do this but at this point I felt she began to talk down to me. She said that if I had been charged twice that I would have to call Discover and they would have to fix it. I told her that wouldn't be the case because my issue wasn't with Discover it was with her and the fact that she charged my card twice. After a few minutes of her trying to explain how their payment system worked I had enough and simply told her that if the charge didn't go off my Discover account I would be back and we would call Discover together. I also told her my wife and I would never come back there again for any services.

In the end the Discover Card was only charged for the full $185, but the way she spoke to me and told me that it would be up to me to correct any issues with Discover myself were very off-putting. At no point did she ever offer to help me correct the issue, it would all be up to me. Not good customer service at all!

I also called the Visa Gift Card 800 number and asked them why the card wouldn't go through and I was told that when Visa Gift Cards are used at service institutions (restaurants, etc...) where you could leave a tip you were only allowed to run 80% of the card's value to allow room to leave a tip. If the lady at the Spa was having so many troubles/problems with gift cards I would think she would have called them to see what the issue was. And if she had called them this whole ordeal my wife and I went through could have been avoided. But obviously she hadn't done that and had no intention to do so.

Next time my wife and I are looking for a Spa service in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area we will not go to the Spa at Pine Mountain and I would not recommend anyone else go either. It is a very small place, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but at one time during our couples bath time we heard someone flush a toilet, which kinda ruins the mood.

I give this a "Poor" rating instead of "Terrible" because the massages were fine, however the setting and customer service left MUCH to be desired.

I would recommend finding a larger spa/resort in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank TravelingJustice

Princeton, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Relaxing spa day”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The website says two locations, so be sure to get directions. We actually were at Bear Cove. The building was a newer built cabin with multiple levels. Parking was limited. My mother and I were immediately greeted upon entering by friendly smiling faces. After we checked in we were asked to go into the lounge to fill out a one page questionnaire that asked basic information and medical conditions which are discussed to ensure your safety. Within a few minutes we were escorted to our massage rooms. We each had a private restroom to change in. The massage tables are very comfortable and heated. The Swedish massage was so relaxing. After our massages we went back into the lounge where we were given ice water in goblets to drink. We then went downstairs for our pedicures. There was a projection screen television for us to watch. One employee did both of our pedicures which does take longer than if we each had someone. Be sure to ask about that if you are on a schedule. It was a wonderful experience and my mother and I will go back every time we visit the area

Visited June 2013
1 Thank lmarlowe69
Fredonia, Kentucky
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Such a warm , inviting place to go foe a massage or other service. We were greeted and went to our appointment very timely. The cabin is so relaxing in decor and the massage rooms are awesome. Most warm friendly people who go out of their way to make sure you have the best experience. A must go place on every visit now.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Nancy C
Dayton, Ohio
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Never even made it”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Booked on line for two apple cider pedicures. The website is odd, so after I booked I called. Glad I did because our reservations ended up being at two different locations. The day before our appointment a lady called and said that the apple cider was seasonal and so we agreed to change to a peppermint. It should be taken off the site if it is not available. She then asked if we could change our appointment to 1:00 instead of 10:00 because she did not want to be at the salon all day. We initially agreed, after looking at our itinerary and letting the "I don't want to be at the salon all day" sink in, I called back and left a message saying that 1:00 would not work for us and we would like to cancel. I received no phone call back, just a cancellation email. At no point was there ever an apology. With that kind of attitude and customer service, I am glad we didn't go. Be prepared to change your schedule to theirs, if the time you chose is in convent for their personal life.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank SquishyChicken
Sanibel Island, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Trust Me No Awesome 4 Star - We will Go Back!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I do not trust reviews any longer here, its a coin toss and glad I didn't go by the ones here!

After stumbling across some negative reviews here, I was a little leary of the level of service that I would be getting… BUT I was greatly impressed with the staff at the spa. Everyone was very warm and friendly. We were greeted by a member as soon as we stepped in the door and promptly escorted into the couples suite. I found the cabin to be very clean and inviting.

Our two massage therapists came in before and consulted with us then left the room as we prepared. When they re-entered they were very professional and offered very relaxing swedish technique. My therapist really worked out some tension in my neck and shoulders. After the massage my partner and I enjoyed the tray of cheese and fruits. Everything was great and everyone was so nice and welcoming.

Visited March 2013