2,806 results
All reviewssweet teafree popcornwafflesfire pitwatching the duckslittle pigeon rivergreat place to stayevery eveningmellow mushroomeach morningclean roomsstaff was very friendlyrocking chairsoutdoor poolbreakfast barbreakfast was deliciousfirst floor
Reviewed June 16, 2012

My mother and I stayed here the 4th week of May. We live in separate towns, so the trip was a quick girls' getaway before I started a new job. I wanted to treat my mother to a break from her routine and spend some quality time with her. It was the offseason and traffic was somewhat lighter but still busy at times. As mentioned frequently on tripadvisor, this hotel's staff is what makes this a great place to stay. I hadn't been in the area for 30 years and my mother hadn't been in about 20 years. Things had grown quite a bit. The location itself was about halfway down the "strip." One side of the hotel is flanked by a beautiful river which gives a more isolated feel to the place even though it is in the middle of everything.

I loved seeing the wildlife outside our room. Sitting on the balcony watching the ducks, squirrels, and variety of birds was very relaxing. I even saw a fellow flyfishing on the opposite river bank. The room itself was clean and comparable to most hotels. But the rates here were much better I thought. Fantastic considering the cleanliness, staff, location, and breakfast included. I slept great, my bed was quite comfortable. Mother said hers was as well. She said she would have preferred not to have been awakened by the ducks outside our windown each morning around 8 am. They were a little noisy if you are a light sleeper or happen to be up late the night before.

On the other hand, I'm not a big breakfast person but mom really enjoyed hers and it does save time and lots of money to have the breakfast available. I thought it would be very helpful to families with young children. I was especially impressed by a couple of staff members. One, named Thomas, kept a smile on his face and a helpful attitude even when it got busy at breakfast. He was always busy working when I saw him but said if we needed anything just to let him know. Kathy was also quite helpful and friendly. One night we were even asked by a gentleman training a new staffer on pool care if we were enjoying our trip. Little things like that are really nice for a traveler. Everyone seemed sincere in their efforts and were proud of where they worked. We both liked that. Friendly staff translate into friendly guests. I love watching interactions at breakfast -- travelers were helpful, considerate, and pleasant with one another. It was nice. There is also an outside area for breakfast where you could see the river that was nice also.

There was a miscommunication with my reservation but the hotel went out of their way to correct things immediately and even knocked off a large chunk of the bill to make amends for the error. I just learned that with younger staffers helping with registration, you have to be very specific about handicapped needs. The hotel even went out and bought handrails for the toilet to help out when no handicapped rooms were available. I was told a toilet extender was available but they later admitted there wasn't one in house and didn't actually know what it even was. They wanted to help so much that they offered something they didn't have. The handrails were helpful but an extender would've raised the seat itself and prevented mother from hurting as much. We were called to ensure our satisfaction. Mother didn't want to say anything else since we were just staying 3 nights. A handicapped room was offered but wouldn't be available till the last night. Mother said to let it slide after staff had called to check the 2nd time about the "extender." I just told staff everything was fine by that point. Mother still said she had a great time and wants to come back again but I will be more careful on room availability. They do have a number of handicapped rooms and in fairness, the staff went above and beyond to correct the problem. They were impressive in their efforts, just a bit overzealous trying to get it right. Honesty upfront will cut down on customer frustration.

Another nice thing about the hotel was a number of entrances down the length of the building so you didn't have to drag your belongings a long way. We were able to come in on the ground floor, use the portable luggage rack to bring our bags in near the elevator. It was easy for me to manage alone, although the manager on duty offered to help. Of course, they had the plastic hotel key cards for safety.

Overall, there were far more plusses compared to the problem with our reservation. We both would recommend this place and plan to visit again in the future.

Room Tip: We were located on the river side but it's important to stay on at least the second floor or you may have to deal with some duck droppings in spite of maintenance cleaning. You have to take into consideration that if you want to sleep in, the ducks will be outside early in the morning "requesting" breakfast. I didn't mind it but the mom wasn't so wild about quacking at 8 am each morning.
2  Thank vjlpsychrn
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We strive to best accomodate all of our guests whenever possible. I am sorry to hear about the miscommunication during you recent stay, and I feel we will be better able to accomodate your type of request in the future. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail with me, you may contact me directly at the hotel.

Rebecka Urban
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed June 15, 2012

Our family stayed at this hotel the second weekend in May. We have been to Pigeon Forge at least 15 times over the last 20 years and have stayed in many different hotels. We decided to try the Inn on the River this time because of the high rating and reviews it received. Based on the hotel pictures from its website, I assumed that every room had a balcony with a river view. We were disappointed to find that our room did not have a balcony and there were no other balcony rooms available. There was a small outdoor pool as well as an indoor pool with a very strong odor. The pools were fine, but we have stayed at similarly priced places in the area that have much nicer pools. The room was clean and comfortable; it looked like it had been recently remodeled. The complimentary breakfast included the average hotel choices. The Inn on the River is clean and adequate, but there are numerous other hotels in the area that offer similar accommodations at a comparable price.

Room Tip: Not all of the rooms have a river view and a balcony. If you wish to have both, you need to specify when you make your reservation.
2  Thank HappyinMidway
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are always interested in any feedback that will allow us to better accomodate in the future. If there is anything you would like to discuss further, please feel freel to contact me directly at the hotel.

Rebecka Urban
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Not only was our room clean and comfortable, the breakfast selection wonderful, and the location perfect, but the staff set a new benchmark for service that few will ever meet! Thank you for a wonderful stay and going above and beyond our expectations.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bonnie M
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Thank you for reviewing our hotel! We hope to see you again!

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Was very pleased with my stay at The Inn on the River. The breakfast was outstanding and the servor, Kathy Bunnell, was so helpful and pleasant. She couldn't do enough to help me. Would highly recommend this Inn.

Room Tip: We always prefer top floor and reservations gave us what we asked for.
1  Thank Joy R
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Thank you for your review and for recommending us!

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Beautiful hotel. The staff is so friendly. The breakfast was amazing and delicious. And the location is perfect. Cliff and Kathy were wonderful and accomadating. Everyone was just so nice and willing to help out with any thing that you we needed. Popcorn every niight! I just cannot say enough about this hotel. We had a great time and plan on staying here again soon! This hotel is ranked 3rd out of 95 hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Definately go for a River view with the balcony. Awesome. Our room was quiet and so comfortable and we had plenty of room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elaine S
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

We appreciate your comments! Remember to call us when you will be back in Pigeon Forge!