“Fine place for quick stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton Oak Ridge - Knoxville
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Oak Ridge
Marietta, Ga
“Fine place for quick stay”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed here for a rowing meet...and so did the 100+ teenagers on the team. Nice spacious rooms with good TV selection. Indoor pool that can be seen from most rooms. Front desk staff welcoming. Probably the most amenities in the Oak Ridge area!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Spartanburg, SC
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We have stayed at this property in the past and have not had a bad experience before this weekend. The room was nice; it was a large non-smoking king-sized bed room which appeared clean. We ate lunch at the hotel on the day of arrival since our rooms were not ready with no problems. However, on the next morning, we attempted to eat breakfast in Burchfield's, the hotel's restaurant. Service was beyond poor and bordered on terrible. We had to wait a long time to be seated, not because there were lots of diners but because there were many tables which had not been cleaned from the previous guest. Once we were seated, when the waitress finally came, we were told we could not order from the menu, at the chef's orders, but could only partake from the buffet. We were not interested in the buffet. The table immediately beside ours were given menus and were permitted to order from the menu with not problems. When I asked the reason why that table was allowed to order from the menu and we weren't, the waitress responded she didn't know. Coffee took ten minutes to arrive. We had asked for cream but it didn't come until I went looking for assistance and requested it again, It still took several additional minutes to arrive and at that point our coffee was cold. While some of our party reluctantly ate the buffet breakfast, I did not. We had a long trip ahead of us. No one seemed very concerned about this fiasco. Finally, my husband spoke to the manager who sent someone to our room to apologize and offer us some of their cookies. We had not been given cookies at our arrival so I assumed Double Tree was no longer doing this.

I am amazed at this poor service and have never had this kind of problem before at either a Double Tree or Hilton property. This was very disappointing. We make many trips to this area during the year and will reconsider whether or not to stay here in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking king. There are no microwaves available in the rooms and our refrigerator mad...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank PepperJJ
GretchenJ, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Oak Ridge - Knoxville, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Thank you for being a guest in our hotel. I am sorry that you were inconvenienced by our Executive Chef's decision to only offer the breakfast buffet. I can assure you that his decision was made in an attempt to better serve our guests, not the opposite. Fortunately, Burchfield's restaurant maintains an exceptional rapport within our community, which enables us to be busy day in and day out. While we did have an extremely busy Sunday breakfast, this does not excuse the fact that you did not receive our undivided attention. I hope that my winning team does have a future opportunity to show you their much sought after, exceptional customer service skills.
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Nice hotel on the "motel/restaurant" strip of Oak Ridge. (Hey, maybe that's all of Oak Ridge. I never did find a downtown.) Good base for a casual run run through some city parks, past the library and the friendship bell (commemorating an odd collection of events: Pearl Harbor day, VJ day and the dropping of the 2 nuclear bombs on Japan).

Hot cookie on arrival. Comfortable beds, Fast wireless. Small but serviceable exercise room. Good breakfast buffet.

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Somewhat dated property. When I checked in, I forgot to look at my envelope and discovered the lack of the breakfast coupon in the morning. When I inquired at the front desk in the morning I was told they do not do that and the HHonors coordinator could make an exception and she gets in at 8. I stay about 20 nights a year in Knoxville, just NEVER again at this property.

2 Thank Robert H
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I've stayed at the Doubletree in Oak Ridge at least ten times and this was by far the worst experience. One positive note was that they had a down-free room ready when I arrived, but the staff at every part of the hotel really disappointed. One evening I tried to get room service dinner and when I called room service, the woman who answered had to ask someone near her if they "took food orders over the phone." I don't think she knew what room service was. After she put me on hold for more than 5 minutes I hung up and called the operator who wasn't sure what "room service" meant. After the operator transferred my call to the same young woman in the restaurant I gave up and went out for dinner. As I walked by the restaurant I was expecting a busy scene to explain why they were too busy to help me and no customers were in the restaurant. Two young women were standing at the host station and I assume one of them was the one I talked to.

As I mentioned, I've stayed here a lot and this was the first time the people at the desk at both check in and check out were not friendly. They weren't rude, but just sort of matter of fact. In recent trips I've always heard "welcome back" and received a note from the owner when I checked in welcoming me back, but this time it was just as if I was someone they've never served before. I can't say it's a bad hotel, but it felt like it might be under new management and therefore on its way downhill.

1 Thank OtherJFK
GretchenJ, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Oak Ridge - Knoxville, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
First I would like to thank you for continuously choosing our DoubleTree for your travel needs. We hold very high standards and we are very honored by the exorbitant amount of guest compliments we receive. I sincerely apologize for the fact that you were not welcomed back as a return guest. I have a great team, and I regret that they did not display their superior guest satisfaction skills to you. I hope that in the future you will stay with us again.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 20, 2011

This was a nice, clean, comfortable hotel. It was exactly as we expected with nice bedding, clean and up-to-date bathrooms, and friendly service. A good value for price.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank HollyRoger_100
North Carolina
Reviewed September 6, 2011

The breakfast buffet was a welcome relief after being on the road and eating so much junk food. We chose the cold buffet though the deluxe version includes both hot and cold foods. It's basic food that's reasonably priced and the buffet includes coffee or tea and juice. We could not have eaten at McDonalds for what it cost. From the desk staff to the restaurant and the men handling maintenance, everyone was friendly. Our waitress and the hostess both deserve special mention.

Room Tip: Join the hotel club at no cost.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Quality Inn Oak Ridge
#6 of 7 in Oak Ridge
Staybridge Suites Knoxville Oak Ridge
Best Western Plus Cedar Bluff Inn

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Oak Ridge - Knoxville? Share your experiences!