“good place to stay for a working visit to ORNL”

DoubleTree by Hilton Oak Ridge - Knoxville
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Oak Ridge
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Nice hotel on the "motel/restaurant" strip of Oak Ridge. (Hey, maybe that's all of Oak Ridge. I never did find a downtown.) Good base for a casual run run through some city parks, past the library and the friendship bell (commemorating an odd collection of events: Pearl Harbor day, VJ day and the dropping of the 2 nuclear bombs on Japan).

Hot cookie on arrival. Comfortable beds, Fast wireless. Small but serviceable exercise room. Good breakfast buffet.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Oak Ridge - Knoxville

Reviewed October 28, 2011

Somewhat dated property. When I checked in, I forgot to look at my envelope and discovered the lack of the breakfast coupon in the morning. When I inquired at the front desk in the morning I was told they do not do that and the HHonors coordinator could make an exception and she gets in at 8. I stay about 20 nights a year in Knoxville, just NEVER again at this property.

2  Thank Robert H
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I've stayed at the Doubletree in Oak Ridge at least ten times and this was by far the worst experience. One positive note was that they had a down-free room ready when I arrived, but the staff at every part of the hotel really disappointed. One evening I tried to get room service dinner and when I called room service, the woman who answered had to ask someone near her if they "took food orders over the phone." I don't think she knew what room service was. After she put me on hold for more than 5 minutes I hung up and called the operator who wasn't sure what "room service" meant. After the operator transferred my call to the same young woman in the restaurant I gave up and went out for dinner. As I walked by the restaurant I was expecting a busy scene to explain why they were too busy to help me and no customers were in the restaurant. Two young women were standing at the host station and I assume one of them was the one I talked to.

As I mentioned, I've stayed here a lot and this was the first time the people at the desk at both check in and check out were not friendly. They weren't rude, but just sort of matter of fact. In recent trips I've always heard "welcome back" and received a note from the owner when I checked in welcoming me back, but this time it was just as if I was someone they've never served before. I can't say it's a bad hotel, but it felt like it might be under new management and therefore on its way downhill.

1  Thank OtherJFK
GretchenJ, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Oak Ridge - Knoxville, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2011

First I would like to thank you for continuously choosing our DoubleTree for your travel needs. We hold very high standards and we are very honored by the exorbitant amount of guest compliments we receive. I sincerely apologize for the fact that you were not welcomed back as a return guest. I have a great team, and I regret that they did not display their superior guest satisfaction skills to you. I hope that in the future you will stay with us again.

Reviewed October 20, 2011

This was a nice, clean, comfortable hotel. It was exactly as we expected with nice bedding, clean and up-to-date bathrooms, and friendly service. A good value for price.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank HollyRoger_100
Reviewed September 6, 2011

The breakfast buffet was a welcome relief after being on the road and eating so much junk food. We chose the cold buffet though the deluxe version includes both hot and cold foods. It's basic food that's reasonably priced and the buffet includes coffee or tea and juice. We could not have eaten at McDonalds for what it cost. From the desk staff to the restaurant and the men handling maintenance, everyone was friendly. Our waitress and the hostess both deserve special mention.

Room Tip: Join the hotel club at no cost.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gogogirlsouthland
Reviewed August 4, 2011

You have quite a few hotels to choose from in Oak Ridge and I was booked into the DoubleTree. I am so glad that I was. Nice, quiet room that is well appointed. Very clean. Very pleasant staff. Hotel restaurants can be quite good but expensive; the hotel restaurant here is excellent and (amazingly) reasonable in cost. I had the spring roll appetizer and a cobb salad in the days I was here, both done to perfection. The waitress (Amber) deserves a raise - sometimes it is nice to get a smile when you are traveling and she's got that smile. Plus she was always filling my water glass (I was thirsty and it is hot). The chef came out to say hello and ask if everything was satisfactory. You could tell that she cared you were enjoying your meal. Eat there and don't worry about finding the nearlby supermarket.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank NewYorkCityAlex
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Stayed here 2 nights while working in the area. Got my request to be at the 'end of the hall'. That is always a good thing. Again, older hotel that has been kept updated nicely. Had an odd shaped room that had a nice sized window. King bed was very comfortable. Huge bathroom. Room had a fridge. Requested and received a microwave. No 'free' breakfast as such. Being a gold member got me access to a hospitality suite that had cereal, pastries etc. No hot items, except for drinks such as coffee/tea/hot chocolate. Again this property is still doing a good job of providing a comfortable stay in the Oak Ridge area.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Quality Inn Oak Ridge
Quality Inn Oak Ridge
#6 of 7 in Oak Ridge
Best Western Plus Cedar Bluff Inn

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Oak Ridge - Knoxville? Share your experiences!