“Worst stay at this hotel where I've stayed 10+ times”

DoubleTree by Hilton Oak Ridge - Knoxville
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Oak Ridge
Denver, Colorado
“Worst stay at this hotel where I've stayed 10+ times”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I've stayed at the Doubletree in Oak Ridge at least ten times and this was by far the worst experience. One positive note was that they had a down-free room ready when I arrived, but the staff at every part of the hotel really disappointed. One evening I tried to get room service dinner and when I called room service, the woman who answered had to ask someone near her if they "took food orders over the phone." I don't think she knew what room service was. After she put me on hold for more than 5 minutes I hung up and called the operator who wasn't sure what "room service" meant. After the operator transferred my call to the same young woman in the restaurant I gave up and went out for dinner. As I walked by the restaurant I was expecting a busy scene to explain why they were too busy to help me and no customers were in the restaurant. Two young women were standing at the host station and I assume one of them was the one I talked to.

As I mentioned, I've stayed here a lot and this was the first time the people at the desk at both check in and check out were not friendly. They weren't rude, but just sort of matter of fact. In recent trips I've always heard "welcome back" and received a note from the owner when I checked in welcoming me back, but this time it was just as if I was someone they've never served before. I can't say it's a bad hotel, but it felt like it might be under new management and therefore on its way downhill.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank OtherJFK
GretchenJ, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Oak Ridge - Knoxville, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
First I would like to thank you for continuously choosing our DoubleTree for your travel needs. We hold very high standards and we are very honored by the exorbitant amount of guest compliments we receive. I sincerely apologize for the fact that you were not welcomed back as a return guest. I have a great team, and I regret that they did not display their superior guest satisfaction skills to you. I hope that in the future you will stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 20, 2011

This was a nice, clean, comfortable hotel. It was exactly as we expected with nice bedding, clean and up-to-date bathrooms, and friendly service. A good value for price.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank JollyRoger47
North Carolina
Reviewed September 6, 2011

The breakfast buffet was a welcome relief after being on the road and eating so much junk food. We chose the cold buffet though the deluxe version includes both hot and cold foods. It's basic food that's reasonably priced and the buffet includes coffee or tea and juice. We could not have eaten at McDonalds for what it cost. From the desk staff to the restaurant and the men handling maintenance, everyone was friendly. Our waitress and the hostess both deserve special mention.

Room Tip: Join the hotel club at no cost.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gogogirlsouthland
new york city
Reviewed August 4, 2011

You have quite a few hotels to choose from in Oak Ridge and I was booked into the DoubleTree. I am so glad that I was. Nice, quiet room that is well appointed. Very clean. Very pleasant staff. Hotel restaurants can be quite good but expensive; the hotel restaurant here is excellent and (amazingly) reasonable in cost. I had the spring roll appetizer and a cobb salad in the days I was here, both done to perfection. The waitress (Amber) deserves a raise - sometimes it is nice to get a smile when you are traveling and she's got that smile. Plus she was always filling my water glass (I was thirsty and it is hot). The chef came out to say hello and ask if everything was satisfactory. You could tell that she cared you were enjoying your meal. Eat there and don't worry about finding the nearlby supermarket.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank NewYorkCityAlex
Easley, South Carolina
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,034 helpful votes
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Stayed here 2 nights while working in the area. Got my request to be at the 'end of the hall'. That is always a good thing. Again, older hotel that has been kept updated nicely. Had an odd shaped room that had a nice sized window. King bed was very comfortable. Huge bathroom. Room had a fridge. Requested and received a microwave. No 'free' breakfast as such. Being a gold member got me access to a hospitality suite that had cereal, pastries etc. No hot items, except for drinks such as coffee/tea/hot chocolate. Again this property is still doing a good job of providing a comfortable stay in the Oak Ridge area.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Maryland
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel several times on business trips, and the staff is consistently friendly. Rooms are very comfortable and clean. There is ample room to work at the desk in the room, and the business center is adequate for working on the PC and printing. Ate at the restaurant a couple ot times--it is OK, but could use a menu upgrade!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Virginia
Reviewed May 30, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip to a conference that was being held in this hotel. The check in was flawless, they had our reservation ready and gave us a warm chocolate chip cookies to welcome us. The rooms were beautifully designed and arranged for comfort, though I did move the chair in the room so that I could view the television better. The bed was fairly comfortable with plenty of pillows. The workstation was comfortable and provided a place for my laptop and books. The wi-fi connection worked great.
The bathroom was spacious with a great walk in shower. There were plenty of thick towels available. The staff were all courteous and helpful. My husband was in the room when the housekeeping staff came and he said they couldn't have been nicer.
The hotel has close access to shopping and restaurants. We did not eat at the restaurant in the hotel but the menu looked appetizing. The brochure in the room indicated that the restaurant was open all day and the bar served drinks from 11 am to 11 pm. My husband was going to grab a late lunch around 2:30 pm and the restaurant was closed till 4 pm, which was a little frustrating for him.
The meeting space was comfortable and well organized. The staff was gracious and accomodating. The temperature in the room was comfortable and they kept us supplied in coffee and tea.
Lunch was served both days and was very tasty.
My other concern was that they did not give me a reciept for the entire stay. My husband checked us out while I was at my meeting and they only gave him a reciept for the first night. When we got home we called and the manager emailed me a copy promptly. Other than the few minor mishaps, it was a great place to stay and I would recommend it to other travellers.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Quality Inn Oak Ridge
#6 of 7 in Oak Ridge
Staybridge Suites Knoxville Oak Ridge
Embassy Suites by Hilton Knoxville West

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Oak Ridge - Knoxville? Share your experiences!