“Fabulous!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 20 things to do in Oak Ridge
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

This place is a jewel in the rough! When you arrive it looks like an old modular school but once you enter it is just amazing! My granddaughter and I went last year when she was four and again this year because SHE requested it!! They have all kinds of different rooms for different adventures. WE love it and will return anytime we are in the area. There was a lovely gentleman taking the admission fee (VERY small!) and he was so interesting I would have gladly just sat and talked with him all day. Please if you are anywhere near it go!!!! Can't say enough about it.
You can wander for hours or just hit the kids stuff if you are short on time! But trust me you will want to go back and read all the available signs! It is amazing how much is in this space!

Visited August 2011

Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
158 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 203 helpful votes
“Loved this quaint little museum!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband and I took our two 4 year old boys to this museum recently. We traveled from Chattanooga. I found the museum very fun and not crowded at all. Because the museum is divided into classrooms if one classroom is busy you can just move onto another one and get away from the crowd. So we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. My boys main attraction was the model train exhibit. That is why we came there. They could have stayed there all day watching the model trains and playing with the trains. We also enjoyed the Waterworks, the castle slide, the puppet theater. It is a great little museum and very educational. My husband and I enjoyed learning about the history of the city of Oak Ridge and the making of the bomb. Very cool.

There is a neat little park nearby we had a picnic lunch at and another playground next door to the museum as well. If you go on the third Sunday the model train guys are there and you can see more trains and the outdoor train exhibit will be running. We plan on coming back at some point and doing that. I highly recommend this museum!

Visited June 2011
San Antonio, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“We loved it, toddler didn't want to leave”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We were actually vacationing in Pigeon Forge and were struggling to find attractions for my almost three year old son. Through research, I found out about this museum and we decided to go for it. We were really glad that we did! It was great and we were able to escape the Pigeon Forge crowds!

Sure there were some parts of the museum that my son flew by without a glance, but the areas he stayed in he LOVED. The favorites were, of course, the train area, the water area (with boats), and the rocket ship. He didn't want to leave!

In the train area, there were model trains to watch and you could press buttons to activate sounds, etc. on the layout. I only wish there were step stools or something so that the little ones could see the models without someone having to hold them up. There was also a section of a "real" train you could climb on and two train table areas as well. For the water play, there were channels (and locks you could manipulate) to float little plastic boats in. The rocket ship had working lights and sounds and a little ladder to climb up to the top. There were tons of little toggles and switches he could play with inside.

While the other areas were not his favorite, it is worth mentioning for those reading this that there is a kid-size "dollhouse" in the museum as well. It is a little two-story house full of everything a real house has in it, only kid-sized. It was adorable. The kitchen was equipped and the living room had a cute little couch and chair. It was absolutely precious.

My son loved going there and I think your child will too. Actually, my dad found all of the information about Oak Ridge's history very interesting and said he would like to go back and read through everything. We highly recommend this attraction for families with small children.

Visited July 2011
Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Not clean”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

I really like to take my daughter to new places and let her explore, so when we got an invitation to visit this museum with friends, we were very excited. Upon arrival, I cannot believe how big the facility is or how NOT museum-like it looked. $7 adults, $5 kids I think- pretty steep for the attraction. It COULD be really neat and probably was when it first opened, but it severely lacks updating (presumably due to funding issues) but the inexcusable problem: the toys and "hands-on" parts are FILTHY! I am NOT a germ-a-phobe, and this really sickened me. I hope someone from the museum reads this- here is a tip straight from Children's Hospital--find a dishwasher and throw those plastic toys in there! There is NO reason that decades of grime and dirt should accumulate on dolls, toy trains, plastic vegetables. Because of this we will never go back, and I would not recommend this to anyone. Go to Ripleys aquarium, go to the park, wherever- at least it will be clean and well maintained.

Visited February 2011
1 Thank mrsfawver
carlisle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Nice place for kids to visit and learn about the town of Oak Ridge.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2009

We've been to many children's museums and this one is nice. Not a Port Discovery but nice for a small town visit. Our daughter is 7 and really had fun! She loved the doll house! They were busy remodeling but overall not bad. It was also fun to learn about Oak Ridge's history as it was our first visit to the town.

1 Thank cmorris2678