“Oak Ridge Tradition”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Connecticut
“Oak Ridge Tradition”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

A visit to Oak Ridge always includes a visit to Big Ed's. Very casual...don't expect anything fancy. Paper plates, cups and plastic utensils. Decent pizza .... many kinds to choose from. Thin crust...decent taste. I've had better and I've had worse. But it's a fun place and my family wouldn't dream of visiting Oak Ridge without a trip to Big Ed's!

• Visited March 2014

Knoxville, Tennessee
“It's a hole in the wall, but it's FANTASTIC!!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I have been coming to this place for 37 years, it never changes it is always the same and it is
FANTASTIC. Very casual, red checked table cloths, little paper plates and plastic forks. The pizza is really good, try "THE SPECIAL" it's the best. Just 3 weeks ago they started taking credit cards and debit cards. It takes a little time to get your pizza but it is worth the wait. Our server was very pleasant and checked backed every few minutes. Love this place!!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Kelsey4747
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“It is what it is... don't believe the hype”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Like Popeye, Big Ed was a near-mythic character- rough on the outside with a big heart. Sad to say the namesake and his son have both passed on and the pizza place has been living off of nostalgia for too long. The pizza is what passes for typical small town pizza, except at the price that make me feel as if I have been taken advantage of.
I ate my first pizza as a seven year-old here and insisted on returning more than fourty years later. I have worked in mom and pop, hand-tossed pizza joints for more than ten years coast to coast, throughout the eighties and into the nineties. It was a life lesson to realize how far pizza has come since then. Except here.
With great reluctance, I had to admit to myself the pizza sucked. Bland dough, canned mushrooms, stingy toppings of sausage and cheese and sauce that needed more of anything like garlic,basil,oregano, or olive oil. Seriously with multiple x-country trips and always willing to try the place the locals go, this was almost the worst and it only missed that because the other place (in Alaska) charged even more for less. Hopefully, somebody will honestly want to make an effort and offer the loyal customers better food at a better price. And hopefully it will be whoever ends up running this place. I hope it won't be another thirty years before I can say I enjoyed the food here.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank G F
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
“This place is a part of Oak Ridge history.”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Having grown up in Oak Ridge my taste buds were trained from early age to consider Big Ed's pizza the best.

I have eaten pizza all over the country and in a handful of other countries, but none came close to the taste of Big Ed's.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank David C
“Average pizza, below average service, and pricey.”
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

Had heard great things and was totally let down. The pizza was average at best. Waited 25 minutes to be seated and it's disorganized at the door. Restaurant is loud and dark. At the table, we waited 25 minutes to be served. Our pizza was served but we had to wait 10 min for plates, which were thin paper and way too small for the slices. Pizza was nothing special...if it was really good, I would've been willing to overlook the poor service and atmosphere.
But the server was quick with one thing: the check. Would not recommend to anyone.

• Visited May 2014