“Horrible service, good food”
Review of Riverside Grille - CLOSED

Riverside Grille
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2009

My wife and I had reservations on a Sunday afternoon, when we showed up (on time) there was nobody waiting except us. We were left standing there after letting them know we had a reservation. When we did get seated, it was at a table that had been empty and ready before we got there as we could see it from the time we arrived. The place was about 20 percent full at best, yet it took our sever a while to take our order. The foo was very good and good size servings, not the too huge servings found most places. Before we were finished with our meal the server brought us the bill, we were not ready for it yet as we were still eating. We never were asked if we would like a coffee or dessert. Very disappointing for such a classy place, (or so we thought). So for us the Flat Water Grill has a flat. I guess they haven’t seen this phrase “If we don’t take care of our customers, someone else will” We are looking for that someone else.

Reviewed October 20, 2008

Every thing from home cooking to steaks & seafood

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Reviewed August 23, 2008

A bit pricey but the food is good

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 12, 2008

As a veteran visitor to local restaurants I was thrilled with the chance to visit the Flatwater Grille. We were a party of nine, but were seated immediately on a Saturday night. The menu was very upscale but, unfortunately the service was only middle class. All the meals seemed very overpriced. And worst of all, the staff had very little knowledge of what was actually being served. One of our party members complained about the portion of a side item she had been given, only to be referred to the floor manager who demonstrated that indeed that was the amount she deserved??? A subsequent call to the management yielded only more of the same...."that's what you get". If indeed their portion control and profits are more important than their customer satisfaction then I bid them a found fairwell.
I suggest you save your money and give this place a pass.

2  Thank DrReelgood
Reviewed July 12, 2008

My husband and I visited the Flatwater Grill for the first time last night. It was a Friday night and when we saw the full parking lot, we wondered if we should have made a reservation. The hostess said it would only take 15-20 minutes to seat us so we waited in the bar. The bar has a nice open feel and from some seats there is a view of the water. We ordered drinks (Bottled domestic beer $3 and house Cabernet (Liberty Creek) $3.75) and waited for our table. It was actually about a 25 minute wait but the atmosphere was very pleasant so we did not mind. We did not however have visits from the "bread boy" as another reviewer mentioned.

We were seated outside which we had not requested but we actually found we preferred. Our table was "around the corner" which means we were right along the water with a lovely view. In spite of the heat of the day, it was actually quite pleasant and not at all too warm. We did have to fight off the occasional fly but that's the price of outdoor eating.

Service: The young man who waited on us was very good and attentive. I would give him an above average rating.

Food: We were brought a basket of warm cornbread and whipped butter very quickly. While the cornbread was tasty, it was the sweeten type and not really what I call cornbread. My husband ordered the salmon with pesto and asparagus (about $17.95) and I ordered the grilled chicken, grilled broccoli and tarragon carrots (about $13.95). We both had Caesar salads which were very good--large portions with a generous amount of grated cheese. The fish was delicious and a generous portion was served. The chicken item includes two chicken lobes which was twice as much as I needed but it was very good. The carrots were fine but the grilled broccoli and asparagus were inedible. Both had a chemical taste which we figured came from some kind of liquid smoke flavor. I can't believe that anyone in the kitchen has ever tasted the grilled vegetables because if they did, they would know not to serve them to anyone.

Although we just walked through a small part of the indoor dining area, it seemed to be very nice and comfortable. The ladies restroom was nice but the soap dispenser was empty.

Aside from the ruined vegetables, my only other complaint was that someone had spilled steak sauce under my chair (on the concrete outside) and it had not been cleaned up.

We live in Oak Ridge and are thrilled to have such a nice place to dine. I just hope they find a better way to prepare the vegetables soon so those of us who try to make healthy choices will actually have a choice.

1  Thank Lab804