“Gross”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newport
Family Inns of America Newport East
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Newport
Nashville, Tennessee
“Gross”
Reviewed October 17, 2007

Ok, picture this. I'm 24, driving my mom, and one of my friends who is 28, on a weekend trip from Nashville to Charlotte, NC for a NASCAR weekend. My mom got tired a litle early and we wanted to pull over. We stopped here. Everywhere else was pricey because of nearby Gatlinburg. We picked here, you walk into the lobby, it was either an old grocery store or a movie theater once, it has entry door that are supposed open when you step on the big black mat in front of them, yeah, those. Outdated. Okay, I go in. The lady was new, she knew nothing. I said I just want 1 room for 3 adults, she told me it would be $46.66 incl tax and fees, I said sure. She gave me a room key and I went on. The room key was a real key, not a key card, Ok, anyways. I wanted a non-smoking room, my friend and I got out of the car, these guys came up to us out of no where and asked us for a light, totally startled us, geez, we just went into the room anyways. We walked into our non-smoking room and found burn holes throughout it. The room had a funny odor about it. I went into the restroom to us it and srcrewed right into the bottom of the sink, right at toilet level was a beer bottle opener. How tacky? We stayed there because the Inn boasted a no-refund policy. I didn't even take a shower in the morning -- I just got up and left. It wasn't much of a motel, so we got out of there as quick as possible. Never again.

• Liked — right off the interstate
  • Disliked — everything, the cleanliness, the staff, everything!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Jennifer N

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
murrells inlet sc
Reviewed September 12, 2004

After a 10 hour drive on 10 Sep, and noticing various signs posted by family inns of america, we decided to try it for lodging. The signs read $29.95 (limited availability), and felt that even with this price probably not available it should be reasonable.

The inn was at 1825 cosby rd, newport, tn, 37821.
I asked the clerk (0002) in the lobby the price for my wife and I, and if there was any discount for AARP or military retiree. He didn't answer the question about discount availability, but answered $44 (+change) including tax. I figured this was about right for the rather run-down condition for the lobby, so I agreed. (Incidentally, no breakfast donuts, etc., as almost all motels now provide.)

The paper transaction was completed then he ran my card and he gave me the bill to sign. The bill ran $52.04! I asked why the difference, and he said that the tax had not been included in the original quote, and then he provided me with the information that there was a blue grass festival locally which increased the price.

#l...an $8 dollar tax on $42 is about 19%!

#2...the fact about the blue grass festival increase amounts to "gouging".

#3...my hearing could have been faulty, but I doubt it with #1 and #2 occuring.

If he had just been up-front with the price, then me and my wife's time would have not been wasted and we wouldn't have felt violated.

This will be the last time we will visit another motel by this name.

8 Thank kblinds

Travelers are raving about these Newport hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
#6 of 10 in Newport
Hampton Inn Dandridge
#1 of 8 in Dandridge
#2 of 8 in Dandridge
Holiday Inn Express Dandridge

Been to Family Inns of America Newport East? Share your experiences!