“Disappointed”

Ranked #7 of 64 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Great Newport fixture for over 30 years. Known for our slow roasted prime rib and Black Angus Rib Eyes. Love seafood checkout the lobster tails!!!
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I've been going to the Fox and Hound since it was Bonnie's. I'm not as disappointed in the food as much as the management. My husband and I recently visited and I had the 9oz filet ($25). I ordered it medium rare, and I assume it was butterflied since it was very thick. The first half was fine, just a little salty. The first bite of the second half was bad, so I tried another small bite to see if it was me. My husband also tried a very small bite and confirmed it tasted bad. I asked the server if it may have touched where fish was cooked. She said they keep it separate. I can only guess it was from how it was stored, and perhaps the top of the steak was exposed to air, and when it was butterflied that became my second half. The waitress took it away and came back and said she took 10% off the bill. I only ate 60% of my steak and left hungry. I was offered no other option, and never saw the manager. I really don't think $2.50 off my bill was reasonable. Everything else was good and I hate writing negatives. I hope they do better at customer satisfaction.

1  Thank wannabefoodcritic17
Tim M, Owner at Fox & Hound Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Please accept my apology for your recent experience. My policy for any customer concerns is for the manager to personally address the issue. You do not mention which day you visited, & I would greatly appreciate knowing. My personal email address is timtim3553@aol.com. If you remember who served you, it would also be very helpful. On your next visit please ask for Tim or Teddy, & I will make sure your dinner more than meets your expectations, & is on me. Again, my apology that we failed to address your concerns promptly & to your expectations.

Tim Mc Master

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Our food and service was great. Everything cooked just right, tasted just right, priced just right. Server was very warm and friendly and helpful. It was our first time and we felt a little strange going in the front door. With the building having no windows, a small entrance area with a secondary door with a peep-hole and buzzer, and the look of a mafia hangout you really wonder what you're walking into. Just walk past all that, sit down, and have a great meal.

1  Thank Kelly F
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Server Buddy was exceptional. As first time goers, we had a lot of questions. Food excellent for the price. History of the building was awesome! We will be back and will definitely ask for Buddy!

3  Thank Sevier_resident
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Good food. Daily lunch specials. Fantastic hamburgers and French onion soup. The service can be a little slow, but the food is really good.

1  Thank a2822
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've been a customer of Fox & Hound for probably 25 years. I enjoy their friend cauliflower and steaks. But a long time favorite has been their cheeseburger and hand cut fries. Also have a luncheon special that is very good, if you can make it there before they run out.

1  Thank JonHensley