Christopher Place Resort
$102
$97
Comfort Inn Newport(Newport)(Great Value!)
$69
  • Restaurant
$96
$120
$109
All reviewsroman holidaythe pubtournament of rosesrocking chairslion's denthe smoky mountainsback porchour honeymoonwedding coordinatormountain viewwedding cakethird floorwinding roadromantic settingmy fianceeach eveningset menu
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have recommended Christopher Place Resort to everyone I talked to since our return. Took a few postcards and left them in my CIO chair at work along with many other individuals, may need more Marston! I enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere and the openness of our host, Marston Price who shares many stories about his family and the history or the Resort. Marston was not only our host but also was found server dinner to the guest and at times working in the yard with his son by his side. A very enjoyable stay,a beautifully decorated room, an extremely comfortable bed, yummy home made cookies daily found upstairs on the third floor,and wonderful breakfasts made fresh and server warm.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have stayed in many places during my travels, Christopher Place ranks in the top 10... Service, Hospitality, Quality, Just Overall Excellence.

The experience in booking and selecting my opions during my planned stay were top notch from the website, email communications and personal phone calls to make special accomidations. Marston and his staff all have shown they understand what serivce really is, as I work in a service industry, and they delivered on every aspect during our 3 day stay in Margret's Room.

The winding road up to Christopher Place reminded me of a commercial on TV where at the end of the trail you find a great treasure... Awaiting our arrival was Karen, she greeted us the moment we opened the door and knew who were were and had all our reservations and plans at hand. She provided an excellent tour of the resort and showed us to Margret's Room on the 3rd floor.

The first thing you notice is the huge size and portal style window allowing wonderful natural light into the space. The room is furnished wonderfully, sitting areas, and windows with spectacular views of the surounding mountains and valley. We relaxed for awhile and rested from our drive until dinner.

We ventured down to the first floor library/pub where Marston, owner himself, was serving wine to the other guests just before dinner. He invited us to the dinning room and seated us in front of a window with another spectacular view of the mountain range. Marston served the first two courses then our chief, Karen, delivered the world class entree and deserts. It was like having a private cheif as there was only one other couple there during our stay. The food was fresh and flavor filled, hints of unexpected combinations teased our pallets, we could not have been more satisfied.

After dinner we escaped upstairs to the 3rd floor game room, where my wife and I played several games of billards in the private setting. The game room was filled with pictures of the political connections to the "Price" family, and wonderful vintage game sets, games you know, but have not seen in this quality level, a reminder that you are in a resort...

We retired to a peaceful night or sleep, and awoke to a beutiful sunrise as the natural light filled our room around 8am. We ventured down to a custom breakfast served in two courses, fruit and yogart accompained by chocolate chip scones, this followed by homemade ham & egg dish that was awesome. Service again was excellent and the view from our table spectacular.

We rounded out the morning by collecting our picnic basket prepared by the staff and headed out for an adventure in the Great Smokies.... Relaxing and peaceful, with no stress, just excellent service, need I say anymore, We will return....

Room Tip: Top floor views, has an elevator, is quite. You can ask for substitutions on meals and package options, they are totally accomidating.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I spent a few days at Christopher Place this past fall on a solo trip, and I had a fantastic time! It's a great long weekend getaway for stressed out Atlanta professionals like myself.

Some of my favorite things:
- The food. Oh my, those breakfasts are sinful and keep you full all the way to dinner. And speaking of dinner, it too was phenomenal on the one night I chose to indulge...worth the extra $40 in my opinion. The staff was also kind enough to bring that dinner to my room...this single gal appreciated the courtesy!
- The view. I could sit for hours on the back porch.
- The coziness. From the warm and inviting library to the fireplace and comfortable bed in my carriage house room, everything just made me want to snuggle up and never leave.
- The proximity to Gatlinburg and Asheville. This B&B is perfectly located between the two cities. Also close to good hiking.

The only thing keeping this from a 5 star review are just a few minor things. Yes, the ladybugs were everywhere as some other review mentioned, but they're kind of cute and they don't bite...there were just so many. But to their credit, they were spraying to get rid of them while I was there. Also, I did have a very slow drain in my shower which I reported at breakfast the first morning but was not fixed during my stay. And finally, I did not realize that 'formal dinner' meant just that...formal. I learned of the dress code when I got there. I suppose maybe I should have realized this, but it might be nice to explicitly state that on the website (maybe I overlooked it?) so that guests bring appropriate attire. It would be a shame to miss out on those delicious dinners!

Room Tip: I stayed in the carriage house and loved it! Very cozy and private.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I would recommend this place to anyone. The entire experience has so far been incredible. Staff is very friendly and professional. Owner is awesome. He happened to be there when we checked in and upgraded our suite to their best suite, The Roman Holiday. Just incredible. Food is awesome...views are breath taking. Would definitely return here every year if we can.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Great place to stay. Peaceful and pretty views. Staff was very nice. Great amenities including a great collection of DVDs to choose from. We initially stayed in the Sir Charles room which is really nice with a great hot tub however in the morning, there is a cardinal that taps at the bedroom window starting at 7am. Because we are not early risers, this did not work for us so we asked to be placed in a different room. The staff was very nice and understanding and immediately placed us in the Camelot room which was great with amazing views of the mountains! The breakfast and dinner was great. If you want to have a meal somewhere close by, a resturant called Thhe Front Porch has excellent food and is 10 minutes away in Cosby. We would definitely come back to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Smirghah
Marston72, Manager at Christopher Place Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for your kind review - funny how that Cardinal wants to see what all the fuss is inside the house! We appreciate you giving us the opportunity to shift your room and ensure you have a good nights sleep. We always seek to ensure our guests have a wonderful stay.