“Best HIE east of I-40”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Newport
Louisville, Kentucky
“Best HIE east of I-40”
Reviewed November 16, 2011

If you are travelling I-40 E from Knoxville, and want to spend the night before you hit the Smokies, then don't stay at Sevierville, don't stay at Dandridge, wait until you get to Newport. This is one exquisite HIE, hidden from view off I-40 turn right at exit, and on the left. This particular HIE expressly caters to those with handicaps. They have a two queen with a walk in shower and a shower seat firmly attached to the wall. For those recovering from knee or hip replacement surgery, or weak knees or hips, this is perfect. Clean rooms, quiet, and extremely modern. They only negative seems to be some management issues due to problems with employees, as our very pleasant breakfast lady, was told at the last minute she had to stay and help with housekeeping. otherwise, a great stay. I highly recommend this HIE - the best one between Knoxville and Asheville, and one of the best ones this reviewer has ever stayed in - the one in Lewisburg, WV is still the best. I highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor are close to breakfast and are extremely quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank bigivy1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
SPARTA
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We stayed here for multiple nights and were not dissapointed. Only had two problems, the wifi was awful for the first two nights -- kept booting us off. When I called the desk to ask if they had any problems, the clerk told me she didn't know of any problems, then she said she'd have to go because she had a "lobby full of people" -- I asked her "real quick" (before she hung up) if I made a toll free call from the room would I be charged for it....she told me I would if I made a call from the room (the in-room brochure had the "phone" section removed). When I called Tech Support (with my cell phone) I was told that if I had any signal at all, it should be sufficient to keep me online. The tech told me to try re-booting my computer. I did, but I still had problems for both Friday and Saturday nights. On Sunday night (when there was a lot less people at the hotel) I kept my connection and didn't get booted off at all. Maybe there were too many people trying to use it all at once on Friday and Saturday evenings...

On Sunday evening, the hotel lost its HBO and the desk told us "its just not working"....when we called the desk about a half-hour later to ask if they'd called their provider, we were told "my manager is working on that right now" No HBO that night, but when I checked the next morning, it was up and running.

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, water pressure was good. Breakfast was typical for the Holiday Inn Express (the area was a little crowded and staff worked hard to keep the various food items filled). The elevator was slow.

Before I got here, I checked "bedbugregistry.com" and was suprised to see they'd had a bedbug report in July. I contacted the hotel and was informed that they had addressed it and everything was now good. I didn't see any bugs of anykind anywhere, so I'm assuming they were right. (I did just about strip the bed when we arrived to make sure I didn't see any bugs!!)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
hixnewport, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newport South, responded to this review, December 28, 2011
I would like to thank you for staying with us and your patience with our technical issues. We do appreciate the concerns our guests face with bed bugs. Fortunately, we have never had any bed bugs at our property. We have our pest control company check periodically just to make sure there are not any problems. The property that is referred to on bedbugregistry.com is no longer affiliated with Holiday Inn. It is now Red Roof Inn - 1010 Cosby Highway, Newport, TN. Our address is 1022 Cosby Highway, Newport, TN. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you giving us the opportunity to serve you.

I appreciate everyone's reviews and would like to thank everyone for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our property. I hope that 2012 will be joyous for everyone and give everyone a chance to do what they enjoy most.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We've stayed in this hotel 4-5 times and we've always found the staff to be friendly and courteous. The property appears well maintained and clean. We usually get a jacuzzi suite which are spacious and well appointed. Beds are comfortable, good wifi, flat screen tv's, nice sized bathrooms. If you're planning on visiting the Cosby and Greenbrier section of the National Park but want quick access to I-40 this hotel is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get a jacuzzi suite. They're on the first floor and close to parking.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank botunkus
FRANKLIN
Reviewed October 14, 2011

Fabulous motel-half way point traveling the Ohio-Myrtle Beach route! Awesome, clean, and trendy! Breakfast items and seating a true delight! Top floor facing south gives a nice mountain view! You will not be dissapointed in this motel! Use the travel coupon seen at road stops for added savings!

Room Tip: Facing south is nice.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank AnnFranklin
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed October 13, 2011

On a recent trip to Kentucky, we stopped at the Holiday Inn Express in Newport. It was such a pleasant experience! We booked the jacuzzi tub room, and it was so clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast buffet had a nice assortment that pleased my husband, myself, and even our two-year old granddaughter. There is a Ruby Tuesday's directly across the street, which made for a simple dinner trip. If we are ever in the Newport area and need a place to stay, we will certainly go back to this facility.

Room Tip: We really liked the jacuzzi room. It was on the first floor, and right by an exit door.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Euless, Texas
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Only staying one night, this Holiday Inn was clean, comfortable and well staffed. The parking area was good and we were able to park our 2 75' rigs on the side road and even turn them around to exit, in the morning.
The rooms were a good value, the breakfast was good and the pool was indoor and clean. No hot tub. The fitness room was adequate, the elevator was better than average but the ice and vending were only on 2 of the 4 floors.
There was a couple restaurants and gas/convenience close by but not really for a walk.
We rested well and I would DO IT again at this Holiday Inn!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed September 24, 2011

It was the last night of a 2500mi motorcycle road trip and I was bushed! This hotel was just what I needed, Friendly staff, clean room, nice pool and a first class hot breakfast in the morning.

And to top off a pleasant experience, a good steak house just on the other side of I-40 from the hotel. (don't remember the restaurants name, it's just behind the Shoony's).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Comfort Inn Newport
Jefferson Inn
Jefferson Inn
#3 of 8 in Dandridge
Holiday Inn Express Dandridge

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newport South? Share your experiences!