“Superior Experience”

Ranked #12 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Superior Experience”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I travel globally and from valet to bell service, from front to restaurant service, one of the best managed, friendliest and sharp, clean properrties I have ever visited. A check-in room assignment issue was resolved with lightening speed and thereafter, not a single flaw. Jayne, front desk, was absolutely fabulous in facilitating our stay and dealing with a couple of issues relted to our disabled son. Not only would I go back, I would love to live there. Very convenient to downtown and the courtesy car service is a real bonus. Short walk to Centenial Park and the Parthenon, and the University is literally across the street.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bjjt
Tony P, General Manager at Loews Vanderbilt Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for your feedback about your stay in October at the Loews Vanderbilt. We always hope to meet each guest’s specific needs. I am so glad to hear that Jayne provided such accommodating and polite service. We will look forward to having you with us in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 16, 2013

For what the rooms at Loews cost, one would rightfully expect stellar service. One could expect to be disappointed in this case. The hotel was having renovations and should not have been open at all. Areas both inside and out were torn up. I should have realized something was wrong when we first pulled up - there were bellmen standing around talking, and no one approached us. So, I started getting my bags out of the car myself - one of them said, "Need some help with that?" Tip: don't ever let a woman pick up anything by herself, especially in the South, where we are known for manners! The service continued to be bad from that point onwards. I wrote an extensive letter to the manager about my dissatisfaction - from the tone of his reply, I have concluded that the slipshod manner in which the hotel is run comes from the top down. He basically said, "Sorry you feel that way and try us again." Right.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank heyjudithz
Geoje, South Korea
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Before reading this review a couple of things to note. Our superior room at the very expensive nightly rate of $400+ was booked on the hotel website months prior to our stay there. This will probably be our only visit to N'ville so we wanted it to be a great experience.

At check-in we were told by the very indifferent Asst Manager that the room that we had booked was not available...no explanation why! We were not happy but after a long flight we took the room & slept in separate beds that night. Only after a long pointless talk with her did she offer us a $40 breakfast voucher. We ordered b'fast the next morning only to find that the pork sausages were RAW. This was the last straw & we then proceeded to have a look at the hotel website again only to find that all the rooms in the hotel were being sold at half the rate that we were charged. At this point we made the decision to go & speak to a manager. She was extremely apologetic but could not explain why we were being charged so much. She said that due to a water leak some rooms could not be used. I asked her why the hotel had not contacted us to give us the option of cancelling our stay with them..again, no reason given. The outcome...we were upgraded (!!) to the room that we had originally booked at the price currently on their website (nearly half what our original booking had been). It was on the Club level but that was the only upgrade we got. If we had not persisted & insisted on speaking to a manager then we would have been paying a very inflated price for a very average room.

The hotel offers a car service (sometimes not available as they were short staffed) & you need it as it is too far to walk downtown. Needless to say don't eat their b'fast but walk to Noshville for a great meal with great atmosphere.
We did eat at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse which we enjoyed.
I am sure that there are better hotels nearer to the action & not with a ridiculous nightly rate ......do your research.
This is a 4star rated hotel. Our experience did not reflect this rating.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DottyCazza
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband was in Nashville on business and I joined along for the fun. The Loews in conveniently located near the campus and about a 30 minute walk from Broadway. The room was clean and modern. We were on the 10th floor which includes complimentary breakfast and happy hour which was a really nice touch. The staff was friendly and efficient. Not a single complaint about this hotel. I have stayed at two other Loews and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PolamaluPrincess
Sonoma, CA
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed at the Loews for 5 nights last month and suffice it to say in every area - except for their restaurant - it was a completely sub par experience. This is not a top place to stay AT ALL. The management must have a problem. My room was dirty - i.e. gum on the carpet and visible grime. The walls throughout the room were dinged up and dirty. A closet door was literally off its track and imoveable (room was small -closet tiny too!) It took them 4 days and over 6 phone calls to get it fixed. I was told the second day the manager would call me to apologize for all the problems etc. Never heard from him/her. I was staying in a "premium" room on the concierge floor. I can't imagine what the lower categories are like. My keys dis magnetized EVERY day. I finally found out it is a problem for the hotel. They acted like it was my cell phone etc - the first two times. This is a really time consuming process as you must return all the way to the front desk - wait in line - then go up and try again. Not fun after a long day. I was there for work and Vanderbilt Parent's weekend. Do not stay here - try the new Omni or the Marriot close to campus. This was like a grimy highway motel - with a grand entrance. My bell man when he saw how dirty the room was when he brought up my bags commented that they had recently spent a lot of money on redoing the lobby floor and entrance but not the rooms. Weird priorities. ALso the concierge floor has limited hours and was quite dirty too. I saw dirty dishes sit out for literally the whole day. My coffee maker was broken - took two days to replace. I was woken up one morning by loud noises in the hall - it was the housekeeping crew . I could go on and on but you get the picture. It seems like no management frankly.
I had waited to post this review since the hotel knew it was a bad stay. I politely let them know at check out. I have never heard a word. A quality place just does not operate like this.
Nashville is absolutely a fabulous town. It is a great place to visit - the whole scene is great. So I say go to Nashville find a better hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel had the most comfy beds and nice size rooms with beautiful furniture. The shower was nice, and they give you comfy robes to relax in.The bar was very nice and swanky. They also offer a shuttle sservice that took us close to the University. Great service-you can actually text requests! Very nice hotel but also high priced. You can find a more practical hotel closer to downtown at a more affordable rate. However, if you are going for special occasion, this place was very nice amd comfortable. Oh, they even had umbrellas in the closet of the room. Nice touch.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank TraceyC683
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Loews Vanderbilt is located right across the street from Vanderbilt University and is relatively close to Music Row and Centennial Park. Because of its location next to a college, there are a number of fast food restaurants within an easy walk, but nothing really remarkable other than the Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse in the hotel itself. The hotel is a couple of miles away from downtown Nashville – a relatively short drive, but not really walkable for most people. The hotel itself is one of the nicer hotels in Nashville (at least until they complete construction of several newer hotels at the new convention center), but definitely shows some wear and tear. My room on the club floor was comfortable, but not over the top luxurious. The concierge lounge had comfortable seating areas, games and books, and a small galley area. The continental breakfast was alright, but not as good as at most other hotels in this price tier. Overall I would say this hotel is adequate when judged by its peer group, but for the price, I prefer other hotels in Nashville.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business