“Nothing special, but no major problems and a great location”

Hampton Inn Nashville / Vanderbilt
Ranked #23 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Lexington, Kentucky
“Nothing special, but no major problems and a great location”
Reviewed February 13, 2011

I've probably stayed at this hotel a half dozen times over the last four years or so, mostly when I have a reason to be near Vanderbilt. I've also stayed at some other hotels in the area. There's nothing particularly great or especially bad about this hotel. The rooms are worn and a bit dated, but not decrepit. Last time stayed, the radio on the clock radio didn't work, and the in-room-iron was on it's last legs. But the rooms are comfortable and quiet. The breakfast is run-of-the-mill for a Hampton Inn, although at busy times it can be hard to find a table.

The location is great. I walk to most parts of campus from here (including the stadiums - about 10 minutes on foot) except the medical center, which is a 3-minute drive. There are two good restaurants directly across the street (a microbrewery with great food and beer and a good Italian place) and lots more within walking distance. There's some nightlife close by and it's a long but manageable (in good weather) walk to the entertainment strip at Demonbreum St. (though if that was my main destination I'd stay a the new Hilton Garden Inn instead), and a short drive to Hillsboro Village.

Exercise rooms are important to me. This one is average or slightly above for a Hampton. I say slightly above because in addition to the standard treadmill, elliptical, and bike, there's also a pretty large multi-purpose weight machine, albeit with one of the four benches missing (maybe left off for lack of space). No free weights, though I'm not sure I've ever seen those at a Hampton.

The hotel is considerably nicer than some of the "budget" hotels in the general area. There is a Courtyard by Marriott next door where I've stayed too. The Courtyard is a bit nicer and more up-to-date, and consistently runs $10 or so more per night. But the other difference is the Courtyard charges close to $20 per night for parking, while at the Hampton Inn parking is free. If I was flying in and didn't have a car, I'd stay at the Courtyard. But with parking factored in, I think the Hampton Inn is a better value.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jay5782

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed December 28, 2010

First rate stay. We had connecting rooms, which is great for a family. Staff (including housekeeping) was most friendly I have encountered in a hotel recently. Rooms were good sized, bathrooms recently renovated and very clean, breakfast excellent. Walking distance to Vanderbilt and Parthenon. I have stayed at a lot of Hampton Inns, and this was one of the best. Exercise room small but well equipped. I'll stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed December 9, 2010

I stayed here for two nights while on a business/pleasure trip. I was within a mile or two of where I needed to go the entire time. I walked to the Frist Museum to see an amazing Impressionist exhibit and took the hotel shuttle to Vanderbilt for work, which was helpful (and shuttle guy was very nice!). The front desk people were always friendly yet not always consistent in arranging the shuttle for me or a cab, so I would suggest you get a person's name when you make arrangements for accountability so you aren't late to your appointment (like I almost was when the cab and shuttle didn't show! ).

As far as amenities goes, the hotel is perfectly adequate. The rooms are very clean and the rooms are comfortable and come with the typical appointments. They are very quiet. The hotel isn't super new but appears updated. There is an outdoor pool. The workout room is very modest, but it does the trick in a pinch. There are restaurants within walking distance including a pizza place and a couple of American places and some fast food among others. No grocery store that I saw.
The wonderful things at Hampton Inn make this a great value: free internet and free breakfast (cereal, hard boiled eggs, waffles, muffins, etc.)! Star-watching at recording studios around the corner: no extra charge!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed November 8, 2010

We got this hotel at a amazing rate (sister-in-law got us a discount), however, when I was laying in the beds I couldn't stop itching. I felt like something was crawling all over me. I was afraid it was bed bugs, but I didn't see anything. The room was small and nothing special. I've stayed in cheaper hotels that had better rooms both in size, decor, and cleanliness. The best part about the hotel was the proximity to Nashville's attractions. I would not have stayed in that hotel if it were not for the INCREDIBLE discount from the sis.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Orange Park, FL , USA
Reviewed October 13, 2010

The location was perfect for our two day stay to attend the "All For The Hall"an event for the Country Music Hall Of Fame. The parking was great, the inside nice enough, the staff was cordial. Nice breakfast and quiet room. The bed was comfortable and clean. It's all we needed for our two night stay. we had stayed at this location before and chose it again for the quietness, after a long drive and nice enough.if you need a fridge, you might ask for one. I failed to do so, being so tired. I drink my own water and i like it cold..
The best part was location and I feel safe there.The Staff at The Desk should treat everyone the same, be more appreciative. they were nice to us.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 16, 2010

Overall, our stay for a Vandy football game was good. The staff is very friendly and the location is great. The free breakfast is what you expect from Hampton Inn -nothing special but good enough. Parking is free. The rooms had very nice decor. Two drawbacks from my viewpoint: the bed had a huge divot which made it feel like I was hanging on the edge of the bed all
night. The other is a pet peeve of mine- is it really that hard to have a shower head placed high enough that it is above my chin? I am 6'5" so I get I am above average height but it was low for someone of average height.

Overall, a good stay but hope they upgrade mattresses to match the nice decor.

• Stayed September 2010
Atlanta
Reviewed September 6, 2010

This is a perfectly good place to stay. The rooms are clean, the beds comfy -- though the mattress on the sofabed is a little thin -- the staff is friendly and accommodating, and breakfast, pretty good. I like that coffee, tea and hot chocolate is readily available all day. Vanderbilt is on the next block and the bars and music scene is a short and straight ride away. (If you're an ambitious walker, you can even walk there!)

I'll definitely stay there again when we return to Nashville.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family