“Most nostalgic motel in the US!”
Review of Drake Motel

Drake Motel
Ranked #115 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
Norway
“Most nostalgic motel in the US!”
Reviewed June 16, 2007

Stayed a week for CMT - Music Festival and had the best time of my life @ this historic site! Wonderful nostalgic motel, which takes you back in time by at least 30 years! Friendly stuff, especially the "head" - house keeper, which was extremely helpul to us. On the huge 60's neon sign it says: "STAY WHERE THE STARS STAY" and that's for a reason. Took some time to have a closer look at the museum like show/display in the lobby office and all the memorabila from stars of all genres was very impressive to say at least! This is not only the site of all my future visits to NASHVILLE, TN but has been to many movies and music-video shoots in the past!

• Liked — Friendly house keeping staff!
  • Disliked — That I had to leave after only 1 week :-(
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
12 Thank norskcountry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
IRELAND
Reviewed June 10, 2007

My wife and I had never been to Nashville. I was looking for a budget hotel and found the Drake to be the right choice. The staff was very professional and we were happy to see security on duty. We noticed several eateries in the area within walking distance and although we noticed various reviews we have been all over the US and as cost was a concern this was the right choice. The hotel is about 2km to dowtown Nashville.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank UKIRELANDTRAVELER
Brisbane
Reviewed April 10, 2007

While my expectations of American Hotels is pretty low, I didn't expect they could be this bad. Firstly, we asked for a non smoking room, we got one, but the bed sheets and bedspread stank of smoke. Do they wash them??? Secondly it was a cold night and the heater didn't work properly. Thridly, no TV remote. And to top it off, some dude is knocking on the door at 3am in the morning and trying the door handle. One of the worst night's sleep I ever had.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Fearing for my life at 3 am.
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled as a couple
1 Thank at_brisbane

Travelers are raving about these Nashville hotels

Hartford, WI
Reviewed March 24, 2007

My boyfriend and I rented a uhaul going from Georgia to Wisconsin. We were tired and wanted to stop in Nashville. We wanted to find a place with a jacuzzi and the Drake Motel advertised rooms with a jacuzzi so we decided to stay there. We thought although it may be old, it advertised newly renovated rooms. How bad can it be, right? Wrong.
First the Uhaul truck would not fit under their awnning. Although it was late at night the hospitality of the staff at check in was a little dull....to say the least.
The only nice thing about the place was that they had us park the uhaul truck between two cameras....for a good reason. As you will read in the other reviews the extended stay guests are something you see out of a cops.
I am not sure what was "newly renovated". They key cards were from Comfort Suites. The Jacuzzi room was actually two rooms that they tore down a wall to make one room...not a bad idea IF done nicely. The room was not clean at all. There were cigarette burns everywhere...carpeting and bathroom counters. There were cob webs all over on the ceiling. There were things left behind by other guests (rubberband in the bathroom). There was not a remote for the tv. Of the mirrors that were cleaned, it was only partically cleaned...I guess they felt that wiping part of the mirror was good enough. There were caps, napkins, straws behind the microwave. Everything looked run down, no drain stoppers in the sink, wall paper coming apart in the shower. I was worried that if they didn't take the time to clean the whole mirror, how much time did they take to clean the jacuzzi which probably at one point had "paid escort" activity in it.
We are not normally picky people except when it comes to our health and safety. We are the type that we make the most of what we are given. After much hesitation, we "at our own risk" did use the jacuzzi and so far no diseases..."crossing our fingers".
For the quality of the Drake Motel, $80 could have been spent somewhere else where we would have been ensured a good nights sleep.
Lastly, personally, I don't care what star stayed there. But I am curious as to what the movies and music videos used the hotel as....was the music video about a guy who got kicked out of his place and only had $20 bucks to get a room??
Sorry I didn't take pics....wasn't worth the memory in my camera.

• Liked — Security cameras in the parking lot
  • Disliked — dirty!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FishingGirl26
Stevenson,Alabama
Reviewed June 12, 2006

We stayed at the Drake ,because I was in town for Fan-Fare and the hotel I normally stay at was booked.I also did a motel search and this was the closest motel I could find.When we got in town to the motel the outside appeared decent enough,it appeared to be old,but i thought that I could live with that.When we went to our room,again, I thought it appeared to be old but I thought again I can live with that.The people around this hotel were totally scary!,across the street there were several thug looking guys standing on the corner drinking whiskey from a paper bag.I could clearly tell I was in a bad neighborhood,but I thought oh well,it's my only choice and also it's only for one night.We went downtown to check out the fan-fare,and returned to our room around 2:00 AM.We got ready to go to bed ,only to be wakened by several small bugs crawling on my bed!I was horrified!!!I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom to shake out my clothes.I was mortified at the thought of getting back into that bed!!!I'm not sure if these were bedbugs!!but whatever they were I don't want them in my bed!I spent the rest of the night in the floor leaning against the wall with my pillow on my knees!!A short time later I was about to doze off only to be awakened again,this time by a cockroach crawling up my leg!!I have stayed in many motels in my life and this one by far is the worst ever!!!

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 16, 2006

I've stayed at the Drake a number of times since I first stayed there in 1972. I've always found it good value,and never had any problems.I also usually see and speak to the owner who used to live in the UK and he always speaks to me as I'm from Scotland.
There is a bus stop outside,takes you to downtown or going the other way out to the mall.I didn't have a car so the buses were ideal.Plenty of fast food nearby.
There was an episode on Cops where they arrested pros from the motel next door which is now closed down.I never saw any unsavoury characters at the Drake. Next time I'm in Nashville the Drake is where I'll be.

• Stayed November 2004
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 17, 2005

Ok, so it was on COPs, but what hasn't been these days? And there might be some unsavory characters about but hey, apparantly that doesn't matter to WILLIE NELSON, does it??? Conveniently located across from a discount beer and cigarette outlet and down the street from many more, the Drake has many positive things to offer. Offering top quality vending and (FREE!) ice service, the Drake takes care of all your dining needs and then some. There is also a plethora of McDonalds and Jack-in-the-Boxes placed along Murfreesboro Rd. for those of you on a slightly higher budget. The in-room microwaves allow for noticeably warm meals and the refridgerators let you stock up on plenty of beer readily available at any of the aforementioned outlets. Crack open a cold one by their luxurious swimming facilities and enjoy the beautiful Tennessee weather. So when you look at this glorious motel and think to yourself that you want to stay somewhere else, ask yourself if you are better than Willie Nelson, because you're not...

• Stayed October 2005