“Go for the Seafood”
Review of Chappy's on Church - CLOSED

Chappy's on Church
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 18th Street
Transit: There is public bus transits across the street from the restaurant on Church as well as West End Avenue, 2 blocks away, and Charlotte Pike, 2 blocks west
“Go for the Seafood”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Chappy's is well known in Nashville as a New Orleans style restaurant. I visited with a Groupon on a Monday night.

The hostess was friendly and quickly showed me to one of many available tables. The waiter was friendly and arrived at my table shortly after I was seated. The entire wait staff was male, at least that night. Service was quite good, worth five stars if the place was at all busy.

Chappy's occupies an older building near downtown and the 'hospital district'. The entire dining area is a large open room elevated from the ground level. Some odd notes, like bare wood molding, but mostly elegant. The private booths are a nice touch and there is a banquet room (the Fats Domino Room) and an ornate bar sharing the same floor space. The background music was not intrusive in volume but the 80's dance tracks seemed out of place, like the bare wood molding.

I started with a local bottled microbrew. The beer selection was minmal and a couple of craft beers on draft would be a good addition. I ordered a cup of the Crab Bisque, which was excellent but a tiny serving for the price. As a meal, I ordered the Trout Long Beach. The generously sized fish was cooked perfectly but not as flavorful as expected. Still, it was quite delicious. The meal included a bland salad and even more bland mashed potatoes.

Prices are high by Nashville standards but not ridiculous. I thought most of my meal was worth the asking price- enough food to fill me and done well. But my meal was about as much as I spend when I take my daughter to a restaurant so I won't be a regular visitor. This would be a good place to bring a date- for this purpose the fact that the food isn't all that spicy is a plus.

I saw other menu items that looked appealing, mostly seafood. The barbecued shrimp with crabcake was recommended and I hope to try it on a future visit.

1 Thank OldSalt558

Nashville
“Big Disappointment”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We just visited Chappy's. We went in with high expectations and left full of disappointment. The food was okay -- could have cooked the sauteed shrimp a few minutes less so they wouldn't have been rubbery. And the pasta needed a little oomph.

I had to ask for some bread and then didn't even get the signature butters we've all heard so much about. Although the server was pretty attentive, I just got sick of having to ask.

The best thing about the dinner was the one solitary slice of Chappy's special pickle that was tucked in the salad. And the atmosphere was classy.

I feel cheated because I love Cajun cooking and there was no Cajun there tonight!

3 Thank LaNita S
Nashville, Tennessee
“Truly Unique and Well Executed- Try it!”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Forget the bad press. This place is excellent! You have to honestly try this place, they serve dishes you will not find anywhere else. I have eaten here several times and I have never been disappointed.

Because of the variety of dishes he serves, there are choices for a variety of price points. Let's break it down by course-

Appetizers- Fried Green Tomatoes are excellent. The gumbo is very solid. The standard heat level is mild, but Chappy's has a unique pepper sauce that is very tasty, especially with the gumbo.

Salad- Excellent dressings and and very fresh. Real SALAD people, complete with mandolin carrots. The bread is also very tasty with it's famous flavored spreads.

Main Course- I actually stick to fish courses. Forget the gumbos and the all of that. Chappy is a fantastic traditional chef and I think his strengths lie in his non-traditional dishes. The Trout Long Beach is an amazing dish. If you celebrating, the soft shell crab Louie is excellent.

Dessert- If nothing else come here for dessert. The coconut cake one of the best desserts I have ever had. It's big enough to split. It also stays well in the fridge.

Atmosphere is good, the servers are charismatic and attentive. Chappy's is not trendy. You will find high quality and unique dishes. Not a single course is typical and it's a real pleasure to dine here. If you are looking for some truly unique and not "trendy unique" give Chappy's a try. It' s a rare look into the head of a fantastic chef.

4 Thank Jo P
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“New Orleans Good!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Chappy's on Church is authentic NAWLINS cuisine! I have eaten there on several occasions and everything is good.

Visited April 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
“Love our taste of New Orleans in Nashville!!!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We have been to Chappy's several times and have always had great food. Our latest trip I had the barbecue shrimp and it was perfectly cooked and the seasoning was delicious. My husband had Crawfish Etouffee and it was fabulous. Yes, the prices are higher than O'Charleys, but when I go downtown for a meal I go to a nice restaurant and expect to pay the equivalent price. We had a GREAT experience!