“Birthday Dinner With My Wife”
Review of The Standard

Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Nashville
Cross street: between Commerce and Church Sts.
Reviewed June 4, 2019

My wife and I traveled from Knoxville for a birthday "date" in Nashville. We had an early reservation for dinner at The Standard. Everything about the experience was exceptional -- from the moment we walked up the sidewalk toward the front door and were greeted by name before we even reached the front step -- to the hostess (who happens to be an owner) who shared with us some of the history of the old house as she walked us to the bar for a pre-dinner cocktail and then to our table for dinner -- to the bartender who made two fantastic drinks for us -- to the waiter, who was attentive but not over-present -- to the truly delicious appetizer (creative fried green tomatoes with crab), meal (steak and pork chop) and dessert -- to the recommendations for fun places to visit on a Friday night in Nashville. The setting was calm, quiet, and gracious, with a cool old history about it. I definitely would go again, and I highly recommend The Standard.

4  Thank 411Anonymous

Reviewed June 2, 2019

Charming old house in downtown Nashville, with nicely spaced out tables, which allow for good dinner conversations. The owner, Mrs Smith, supported by an efficient team made us feel very welcome and looked after, from the valet outside to our table servers. Southern hospitality at its very best. The menu selection is not the largest, but varied enough for everyone in our party to easily pick their order. The wine selection is fine, perhaps limited in its per glass offering and lack of desert wines. The wine glasses were too basic, and the forks too lightweight for what I expect at that price point...
The great news is that the quality of the food was absolutely superb, with some of the best calamari appetizer I have enjoyed and a very well put together Signature fillet seating on top of an amazing truffle flavored hash brown and with some very tasty tobacco smoked fried onions on top. A little more sauce would have been perfect, but all the flavors worked very well together. That left us all so impressed that we ordered all 3 deserts on the menu to taste them. All very good but the Jack Daniel's cheesecake was the one I will order again when we next visit.
The bottom line is that we will be returning, and I for one cannot wait!

Date of visit: June 2019
1  Thank MR33606
Reviewed May 27, 2019

Overall a very good experience! I had the Wedge Salad first which is definitely big enough to share-- the dressing lacked a bit of flavor, but the salad was reasonably good still.

I chose the Filet special for my main course which was the 8 oz. Filet with blue cheese crumbles in a mushroom sauce. This also came on top of their hash brown hash which was very delectable. Some of my dining partners ordered some sides including the mac n' cheese and asparagus. These were both good. For dessert I ordered the chocolate chip cookies (served warm) with vanilla ice cream.

This was one of the best dinners I have had in Nashville and a true gem-- the setting is amazing in that it is in the oldest house in Nashville used as a restaurant. I would definitely recommend!

1  Thank Bob H
Reviewed May 21, 2019

For our first trip to Nashville, we went looking for a unique experience- and we found it. Thanks to Open Table we got a reservation during a busy time and received a personal call back to confirm it-good job. We were greeted by the valet and by the maitre'd by name when we arrived- well done. On the way to the table we were introduced to this beautifully restored, nearly 170 year old house. The lounge and dining areas are elegant but not stuffy. Very good cocktails and approachable wine list. We all had the crab bisque to start. We have enjoyed crab bisque in many places around the world, but this was among the best preparations we can remember. We all had filets- excellent meat, perfectly cooked. Excellent desserts and a most enjoyable time for after dinner beverages in the lounge. Moderately expensive, but this was a memorable evening in all respects.

1  Thank AnacoTraveler
Reviewed May 21, 2019 via mobile

We were visiting Nashville for the weekend, and wanted to try someplace unique for our anniversary. The Standard occupies a home built in the 1840s with a history as incredible as the structure itself. Staff were welcoming and friendly. The valet attendant and Billy the Maitre D truly made you feel like family or old friends returning for a meal, and you could just tell how much they loved sharing this place with you.

We were a few minutes ahead of our reservation, so waited in the bar area-a cozy section with a huge fireplace and quiet ambience. Once seated, wait staff were attentive and quick, without ever rushing us.

As this is a former house, the dining rooms are smaller, allowing a much more relaxed, intimate feel. You can also have a quiet conversation as there isn’t the usual loud “din” common in so many modern eateries. The food? Fantastic as you’d expect! Steaks cooked perfectly, shareable sides, and ginormous chocolate mousse cake for dessert hit that sweet spot just right.

Next time you’re in Nashville, give yourself some time to relax and enjoy this gem tucked away right in the city!

1  Thank Freddie S