“Best Western Opryland just OK”

Best Western Suites Near Opryland
Ranked #38 of 155 Hotels in Nashville
West New York, New Jersey, Usa
“Best Western Opryland just OK”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The layout of the room was nice, and the room itself was clean. However, the walls were so thin that I could hear people in neighboring rooms zipping luggage, blowing their noses, etc. I experienced a dangerous situation when the lights went out while I was on the treadmill in the exercise room. They must have been on a timer. I found it difficult to make my way to the lightswitch in a pitch black room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Danville, Illinois
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Very clean. Smelled great. Updated. Very personable employees. Will be staying here again. Very close to downtown and Grand ole Opry. Lots to do close by. Only hot food offered for breakfast was waffles. Muffins and cinnamon rolls were "Little Debbie" style.. Keurig coffemakers in rooms was nice also microwaves in room. Very spacious rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Krobinson5
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night while visiting Nashville.

It was a nice stay. The room was nice. It was central to the Opry area so if you are interested in staying here it is perfect with endless restaurants and stores in surrounding areas. The staff were nice too.

I stay at a lot of BW and other hotel chains and in comparison to those it was in the middle-high range of quality in terms of comfort, style of room, bathroom etc.

If you are interested in Broadway and bar hopping you may want to stay around there and not in the Opryland area. Parking near Broadway was ok though, if you do and drive out the 15 minutes it is. About $20 parking for 5pm-6am from memory.

If Opryland is your preference, you can't beat this hotel. It was cheap enough, free parking and free breakfast...pretty good all round. But ultimately depends on what location you are wanting.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Toni F
Van Wert, Ohio
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The hotel was clean and the front desk staff very friendly. The breakfast was warm and inviting and there was a good variety. We went to a concert while we were there and when we returned the front desk staff remembered that and asked about our day. There was a shuttle service available from the hotel to take you downtown. The rooms were clean and comfortable. I didn't care for the pillows but the beds were nice. I would stay here again and recommend this hotel to others! Keep up the good work!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jandmmay
boyne island
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had originally booked one night, thought it was $169 but with taxes etc it was $199. We asked the first night if we could stay an additional night, that was fine. At first the girl said. Yep same as first night $139 plus taxes, we told her we didn't get THAT price, she corrected her self, we are SURE she told us $405 for the two nights. When we checked out our bill was $504, I told the lady that cannot be right, called for the manager.....I told him the same room cannot be $100 difference from we'd to thurs night. Oh yes he said, due to availability....at the time no else wanted the room!! Didn't matter. What we said he said the girl must have made a mistake and that is what it is. I couldn't do anything else.... Now put me off best western....poor service....not happy jan!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chooknhally
Denver area
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Best Western Suites Near Opryland is well-located for both business travelers and tourists, being within a short drive or a longish walk to Opryland and with good highway access to Nashville proper and the surrounding area. It is also very close to fast-service restaurants, a gas station and mini-market, an old mall with some fun shops, go-karts, mini golf, full service chain restaurants and a local bar and grill with live music (John A's...a review on that in its appropriate section). A little off-putting is the derelict old super motel across the street which is apparently slated for demolition. The windows should at least be boarded up on that to make it less of a blight, but BW has no control over that.

The Best Western Suites is in a plain-looking building quietly situated with a good setback from the highway. The grounds are well kept. The lobby is modern style in darker wood, tan, beige and brushed steel. It's not bad, just a bit dull and I'd point out if you're going to have steel elevator doors, you do need to polish them frequently and brush off graffito scratches with ultra-fine steel wool as soon as you find them. It is a somewhat older building that is striving to look hip. There is a complimentary all-day coffee station in the lobby near the elevators.

The lodging level I was on has an attractive and clean celadon-colored textured wallpaper in the moderately wide halls. The carpet is a burgundy-floral-mix that begged for a vacuuming (or even a sweeping) that it never got in the five days I spent there.

The room smelled clean when I entered, and didn't reek of freshening powder or spray. The color scheme was the dark and medium wood tones, tan, brown and gray carpet in a swirl design and two inviting-looking double beds with thick comforters dressed with loden green, russet and gold scarves and skirts. The bed I slept in was indeed comfortable, with three pillows of differing density. The bed linens were in good repair spotless and fresh.

The sitting area, separated from the sleeping area by partial walls flanking an attractive arch, had a hide-a-bed sofa in a russet stripe, coffee table, desk with lamp/power station and a comfortable office chair (celadon pattern). In the sleeping area a roomy low-rise dresser had room for a 42" flat screen TV on top with space to spare for "stuff."

A nice touch was the wooden suitcase bench, which was much sturdier than the usual folding rack that's provided, plus it provided a place underneath to store the suitcase and a handy spot to sit while putting on shoes. A roomy in-room safe was also appreciated.

The dark-mottled-stone-topped mini-bar had a clean and effective small refrigerator, a stainless steel sink, a small, clean microwave and a Keurig single-cup coffee maker. Four stoneware mugs were provided, along with a couple each of a hotel brand regular and decaf coffee k-cups and the snarky packets of sugar, etc. In the bathroom, the usual ugly plastic ice bucket was flanked by four actual glasses. More on the dishes later...

The bathroom was roomy enough, with a large mottled brown-black-tan counter on a curved wooden base. The tile was a stylish brush-stroke textured type in beige. There was a large mirror framed in an antique-gold-toned baroque molding. Everything was clean and shiny, the way I like it. The leading edge of the toilet tissue was nicely fanned, but only on arrival. Towels were neatly arranged in two compartments under the counter, with a hand towel and two wash cloths done up fancily on top. I raised an eyebrow on the third day when the bath mat that was left was frayed and thin. Hotel operators: retire frayed linens to the rag bag.

The breakfast bar was fastidiously attended by a smiling local woman who had a greeting for everyone. Seating was plentiful. Offerings were "cook your own" waffles and the usual yogurt selection, boiled eggs, cereal, juice selection, coffee, bagels, bread, muffins and pastry.

Now for the bad part: the dishes. I do not trust in-room dishes and so I washed the cup and glass I intended to use. I am SO GLAD I did. On a hunch I marked the bottoms of them with waterproof mascara the first morning. Yup, the same items were there when I returned in the evening, but they LOOKED clean. I can't believe housekeeping staff is going to stand by and do dishes properly, so again I washed them, taking care to leave my marks. The next day, I happened to leave a lipstick smear on a coffee cup in the morning. That evening, it was still partially present but showed evidence of a quick wipe. With WHAT? Washing dishes, again! The third day I happened to be in the room working while housekeeping came along. I didn't watch the proceedings, but when I went to make a cup of coffee the cup was again shiny on the outside, but still bore traces of coffee and cream in the bottom of the inside. The glass was nice and shiny, too, but I hadn't heard any dish washing going on. Washed 'em again and the next day and the next. Why didn't I complain to management? No faith and I wouldn't trust the results anyway.

That aside, the room was clean enough and reasonably well maintained. I've yet to stay somewhere that actually kept the vents on the heat/air conditioning unit clean. The location and building were quiet (most of the other guests were senior citizen tourists). The fitness room had four pieces of equipment but the carpet had been soaked with beer and stank. I poked my head into the dry sauna but didn't use it. The swimming pool was not opened yet but the deck looked small, so not really a place to lounge.

Room Tip: A suite on the fifth floor is roomy and quiet, even facing the highway.