“Great Location for Family Reunion Girls Weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Homewood Suites Nashville Downtown

Homewood Suites Nashville Downtown
Ranked #16 of 156 Hotels in Nashville
Tampa, Florida
“Great Location for Family Reunion Girls Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2009

We stayed for a girls weekend and the manager was happy to give us adjoining suites that gave us ample room for sleeping and socializing with each other. We weren't able to secure this ahead of time, but the manager was great when we were there.

Request an outside room, then you'll have a city view instead of the courtyard view. I think even numbers are to the outside, but I'm not completely sure. It's a restored historic building, so it has lots of character. The rooms were larger than I'd expect in a historic building, but certainly not huge. A good size, it slept 3 of us per room with no problem.

We were easily within walking distance to clubs and restaurants. Street parking is free on the weekends, so if you have a car, you don't necessarily have to valet everytime. In fact, the lot across the street was cheaper.

Each room has a kitchenette with full size refrigerator, stove, microwave and utincils. The breakfast had hot entrees in the morning and wine and apps in the afternoon, but I think only on weekdays. All included. There was an excersice room with a treadmill and bike with tv, and a whirlpool spa.

There is a concierge who can help with restaurant and tour recommendations too.

All in all, the hotel had more that I anticipated, and the staff was helpful and friendly. True southern hospitality.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MySheWasYar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Polish first
Lumberton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2009

This is a great place to stay near the entertainment district and downtown. You are close to all of the museums and capitol and the old opryland location. The rooms were spacious. There is a comp breakfast (excellant) and comp evening snack M-Th with spirits. Although it will cost a few bucks - your food costs should be about zero. Well worth the stay for the location and amenities. Only caution is there seemed to be a lot of homeless in the area. They do not bother but be aware. Plus parking is extra about $8 per day.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gonefishing85
alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2009

In general the suite was okay, but the only window in the bedroom faced an interior courtyard. The windows do not open so the suite was airless. There were no windows in the "living area" at all so overall the rooms were dark and we felt trapped. We couldn't even tell that there was a raging rainstorm and tornado warnings outside. All of their larger suites are facing the interior courtyard so a smaller room would be better at this hotel. The location was awesome. The service was generally good to great. I would recommend it for price and location.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ojy
Altadena, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2009

For the price the location was really good, walking distance to the street with all the bars and music venues. On the weekend the street parking is free so we didn't even have to pay for parking. The breakfast was really good, lots of choices, even make your own Belgian waffles. The only down side to mention is that when we walked into our room after check in the door was open and all the drawers were open as well as the fold out couch, so we went back to the front desk to tell them and they didn't seem to care, they just told us to push it all back in. But when we told them the door to the room was open too they gave us a new room because of security issues. Bu it seemed like they didn't think it was a big deal. Needless to say if the room does not appear to be ready then it shouldn't be given to a guest and a guest should not be expected to finish up for housekeeping. Our new room actually ended up being larger and better layout than the 1st so it worked out. Loved the free internet too.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sln6
Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2009

The Homewood Suites is in a very generic "blink or you will miss it" building (I drove around for 20 minutes trying to find how to get into it) next to Morton's and across from the library. The enterance to the hotel off the street is sort of grungy, but when you enter you walk down the shabby corrider, turn the corner and walk into a proper lobby which is small but perfectly nice. The desk staff is very kind, but there are too few of them. They appear eager to help but badly trained or maybe untrained. The women who ran breakfast were awesome. SO sweet and accomodating. Can't say enough about them. The concierge was friendly but seemed to know only about very low end options when it came to dining. I like to save money, but the only suggestions I could seem to get were based on value and I don't mind spending more than $9.99 for a meal.

One example maybe of poor training; the housekeeper (politely) asked me every morning if I needed her to do anything when we left in the morning. I wanted to say "yeah, I need you to clean my freaking room". But just said "we will be out of your way". She took the hint (every time) and cleaned the room, but I resented feeling like I was asking for a favor. Also, the bathroom was never cleaned well.

The room was fine though the bathroom vanity area looked like a high school woodshop project and was made of unvarnished wood which seemed really unsanitary in a damp bathroom. Also the room smelled a bit musty and it was really, really small. I had a hard time getting around the pulled out sofabed into the kitchen. The funny part about how cramped it was is that ours was an accessible room. We did not request an accessible room, but its status was evidenced by the open shower (not even a lip, the water just flowed to a drain in the middle of the room). The shower sprayed water all over the bathroom floor (thus creating a skating rink) but had a flimsy and useless shower curtain which (given no barrier and no weights) flew in and stuck to one's body while showering. Ewwww! So we dealt with this inconvenience to no good end since I could barely step around the sofabed to get to the kitchen or door, let alone negotiate it in a wheelchair or with a walker. I am all for making things accessible to the disabled, but this was an accessible room in name only and the shower was pretty bad for those without special needs.

Enough complaining. The location of the hotel was very good. It is an easy walk to Broadway, the convention center, the Hall of Fame, the art museum, the State Museum and monuments, and a number of other venues. Also, it is across from the library which turned out to be a highlight of the trip - super exhibits for people who love books and documents which chronicle the history of the region, and the best childrens library ever. My son and I are city dwellers and walkers, but it is worth mentioning that some more sedentary and easily frightened (my son used the term wussy) types seemed bothered that the parking lot is a couple lighted blocks away from the hotel.

Final analysis -- for the price this was a perfectly fine option in a great location. I would stay here again if I got a good price, but I would certainly consider alternatives.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank BKlein
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2009

The decor in my room was nice and modern but smaller than most Homewood Suites I've been in and it smelled vaguely of smoke.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank atlanta14
St. Louis, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2009

Still like HS-Nashville. However, on my last couple of visits I have noticed what smells like sewer gas, first in the front entryway (which I don't mind since I don't spend much time there), but lately in the room itself, which is more offensive. I happened to be placed in a handicap room that had a drain in the middle of the bathroom floor. I covered it with the trashcan, which seemed to help a little, but I am not sure.

Otherwise, the hotel is still good, and I'll give it another chance. But my doubts are mounting...

See my review of a few months ago for more info about my overall experience.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business