“Good Choice”

Ranked #35 of 154 Hotels in Nashville
Heatland
“Good Choice”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed here just one night for a meeting at the Omni, which is right next door. The Hampton was about ½ the price of the Omni and certainly a very decent hotel although still not inexpensive by my standards. My room was clean, spacious, well maintained, and well furnished with a king bed, a sofa, a desk, a refrigerator and microwave. The hotel is conveniently located and within easy walking distance of downtown (Broadway Street). The included breakfast was quite adequate with several hot items and you know you have made it to the “South” as breakfast included the always necessary grits. There was also a good assortment of cold items. While the hotel doesn’t have a lot of glamor and glitz it was certainly a very pleasant place to stay. I will be coming back to Nashville later this year for a longer visit and there is a good chance I will stay at the Hampton again.

One complaint. I arrived at about 11:30a.m. and was not surprised that I was not able to check in that early. The desk clerk “checked” to see if I could get in but told me that she could not check me in and to try back in about an hour. So I trekked down to Broadway, had some good barbeque for lunch along with live music all for less $15 including a tip for the musicians (Nashville can be fun on not much money). Upon my return to the Hampton, the same story. Not yet, check back in about an hour. However, this time I noticed that a couple of other guests ahead of me had been able to check in, I inquired why some people were able to check in and others were not. Turns out that, when you have a reservation, they evidently pre-assign a room to you and they do not check you in until it is ready. I guess the idea is to make sure you get the exact type of room you requested in the reservation. When I said I would be okay with pretty much any room they had available, he cheerfully looked for another room and had no trouble finding one I could check into immediately. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why I had to ask in the first place. I have checked into lots of hotels early and this is the first time I ever had to ask the desk clerk to see what rooms might be available. It has always been something like: “ I can get you in but you will have to take a room without -----------, etc.” Since I dealt with two different front desk clerks it would appear that it is a hotel policy to not offer early check in if the pre-assigned room in not available and it was not just a matter of a single clerk not knowing what to do.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Lisa G, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Nashville - Downtown, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear whoknows987,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent trip and your time spent with us. We do pre-assign rooms as you have noted, and because of volume of check in's daily this is necessary. With three front desk associates (most of the time), sales, 3rd party sales (Expedia,etc.) and other office personnel making reservations, we do not normally ask a guest if they would be interested in another style of room just because the rooms move so fast here. We are happy to hear that we were able to accomodate you for early arrival and that while you were here you enjoyed the Nashville area. Most of our staff are Nashvillians and are very knowledgable about the city and are happy to share their insight with others.
We hope to see you next time you are in our little city; we love having you here,
Downtown Nashville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Reviewed March 17, 2014

An OK small city hotel ... prices are high due to proximity to Music City Convention Center ... but with these higher prices, the front desk staff might want to take some lessons in customer service from their room cleaning and restaurant staff.

Dear 817seanb,
I appreciate your recent review of your stay with us while visiting Nashville. On behalf of our entire staff we would like to extend our deepest apologies for the unpleasant nature of your experience with our front desk associates. I have directed your comments to the manager and there is a resolution action being taken to ensure there is no other incidence of this kind in the future. Please know that we here at the downtown Nashville Hampton Inn & Suites want our property to be "where you want to be"; so next time you visit Nashville we ask that you give us the opportunity to prove that our guests complete satisfaction is our number one priority. We love having you here,
Cookeville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My wife and I were attending an event at Bridgestone Arena, which is a short walk away. We checked in at a busy time, and the clerk had to change our room assignment during check-in. This extended our wait by a couple of minutes. When we went to the newly-assigned room, there was a tag on the door knob, indicating that the room was occupied. We went back downstairs and got in the back of the longer-than-before line. A manager apparently recognized us and asked if everything was okay. He took our key cards and personally assigned us to a new room. After apologizing, another manager gave us a gift card to buy our dinner. We were not in a big hurry, we hadn't complained, and were quite surprised by the gesture.
Several high quality restaurants are very close to this hotel, and it's about two blocks from Broadway. This is close enough for an easy stroll, but far enough that the live street music and activity can't be heard from the property.
As for negatives, it was very easy to hear the emergency vehicles on the street below our window. Fortunately, there were only two. The beds were slightly above average in comfort and sagged a bit in the middle.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Lisa G, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Nashville - Downtown, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Hi Steve B,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your visit with us in Nashville. Our 100% guarantee is meant to make all aspects of your stay more enjoyable. If there is something within the stay which is unpleasant but unavoidable we here at Hampton want to compensate you with something or someway that will diminish that inconvenience. I am happy that our team were expedient in providing you and your wife with accommodations that exceeded your expectations. We hope to see you again next time you visit our city, we love having you here,
Monroe City, United States
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Very nice experience! Good Location, clean rooms, good free breakfast, friendly and helpful staff. Very enjoyable stay, overall! Would definitely recommend and would definitely stay in this hotel in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Lisa G, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Nashville - Downtown, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Hello Brenda H,
So happy you enjoyed your stay and visit to Nashville. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recommendation and wonderful experience of our property. I will be sure to let the team know they have fulfilled the goal of exceeding expectations once again.
We look forward to your speedy return.
Oviedo, United States
Reviewed March 9, 2014

The hotel is great. Just one block away from the convention center and a large number of restaurants. The hotel underground parking garage was very convenient due to the severe weather. The staff and accommodations were excellent. Can't wait to get back there again.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Lisa G, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Nashville - Downtown, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Hi Sandy D,
So happy that you took the time to comment on your visit with us here in Nashville. On behalf of the staff we want to thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are glad that you had an excellent time and look forward to your return.
Reviewed March 7, 2014

The Hotel entrance is from an Alley. Staff are very friendly. Rooms are small and beds were not comfortable. Underground secured parking is a plus but it cost extra. For the same $$$ you can find a much nicer hotels downtown with much nice rooms.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

2 Thank 391randym
Lisa G, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Nashville - Downtown, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay with us. I want to express our apologies for your discomfort with our beds. The Cloud 9 mattress is the same throughout the brand and most of our guest really like them. I researched the room that you were in and all of our double queen rooms are 375 sq. ft. which is standard. I wish we had been able to safisfy all your needs. It is very disappointing when one of our guest is not happy with their stay. Please allow us to show you that our guests are our number one priority and visit us again when you return to Nashville.
Oakland, California
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This hotel is in a great part of town, just steps away from the Country Music Hall of Fame and a short walk to the downtown clubs, convention center and Bridgestone Arena. The property is well kept, clean with a friendly staff. The rooms are modern and large, bathrooms are contemporary and a fairly large TV with a good selection of channels. There are plenty of outlets bedside and at the desk for all of your electronics. This is a low-slung hotel and you're not going to get much of a view from most rooms. My only complaint about the rooms is an inadequate number of lamps ... even with all of them turned on the room is kind of dim.

There are plenty of selections at breakfast including hot oatmeal, biscuits and gravy, fresh fruit and a hot egg item. There is a convenience pantry next to the check-in desk with microwavable items and frozen treats. It comes in handy as there is no nearby convenience store that I'm aware of, nor are there a ton of restaurants nearby without venturing on to touristy places on Broadway.

All in all it was a good experience.

Room Tip: If you want any kind of view whatsoever, ask for a room that doesn't face the Country Music Hall...