“Grateful for the staff”

Aloft Nashville West End
Ranked #75 of 159 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I want to preface this review with the reason I stayed at this particular hotel. My brother (who booked the hotel) was scheduled for hip surgery at St. Thomas Hospital in Nashville. I have never stayed at this hotel, but was familiar with the area. What I was preparing myself for was a couple of days in which I would be giving 24 hour care to a recovering adult.

To my amazement and surprise, I had more help than I could imagine thanks to your brilliant staff. I want to speak specifically to the 3-11pm shift on Tuesday-Friday - Hannah, John, and Mike. From the moment I got there, they answered questions specific to handling the care for post-surgery with grace and patience. All three of them asked about my brother multiple times w/ authentic concern and curiosity in their voice w/o prompting. Mike aided me in making sure that I had the closest valet spot in front of the hotel for my brother to have ease of access as well as assist me w/ finding parking nearby since I simply could not afford the valet parking. John made sure that any small details I needed or asked questions were taken care of so that I could focus on my brother as well as hook me up w/ deals and recommendations for local food. And I am especially thankful for Hannah. She managed to find my brother a wheelchair from another hotel in 3 minutes flat as we drove from the nearby hospital back to the hotel after being in the hospital for 12 hours (and exhausted). Furthermore, she donated an appetizer and adult beverage for me to have the night of the surgery that I needed. She, along w/ John, made sure that all needs were met from extra water to changing bedsheets late in the evening. She was also a natural conversationalist that gave me a chance to vent/grieve in a city where I had no friends or family available. I also mention that for John and Mike, but she, by far, received the brunt of it :-).

I am a licensed mental health/substance abuse counselor who has been working w/ people for years. And I must say that your staff (those mentioned above and others) have a gift for empathy, listening, and a simple grace that is ideal for interacting with people. These are qualities that are often difficult, if not impossible, to teach. I drove back 5 hours to Kingsport, TN and then 2.5 hours to Lenoir, NC filled w/ an overwhelming sense of gratefulness towards your staff. They are the reason I didn't loose my %^*#)& during this stressful time. They deserve recognition and reward for being exceptional. You have talent on your staff.

Thank you and I look forward to staying again. Hopefully, for a vacation :-)

James Lewicki

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank James L
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Nashville West End, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear James L,
Firstly, we hope your brother is healing well and has a very speedy recovery. It’s our team’s priority to provide our guests with outstanding service, and it is truly our pleasure to accommodate you especially in your time of need. We will celebrate Hannah, John, and Mike for going above and beyond to make your stay as easy and comfortable as possible in addition to lending a listening ear. We are very happy we were able to make your visit enjoyable, and we do hope to see you for a relaxing vacation! All the best.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

My comments for this hotel relate to the Aloft brand in general, and this particular stay. Although the staff was very friendly we found the physical plant to be, well, unusual. Not sure what Aloft is trying to be....but it comes across as trying too hard. Is it trying to be a scaled down W, or an upscale Sheraton 4 Points? Seems a little lost, as it achieves neither very well. Bar but no restaurant. Food available in 'store' but poor selection. Pool table in lobby...and an odd play list.

Room was large and bed was good, bathroom was fine but lacking in amenities, like hair conditioner, and the lack of shower door or curtain left the floor wet. Air conditioner cycled noisily on an off all night and there is an overgrown beanbag chair in the room called a FATBAG (or boy). Hall noise is, well noisy, with door shutting.

Overall an ‘okay’ stay but Aloft has not convinced

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Buz S
Reviewed June 30, 2014

First of all, let me say that this is probably one of the best Aloft hotels I've stayed at. You walk in, there's a (so-so too much spicy mayo on the rolls) sushi restaurant attached to it, and live music (which was awesome and totally Nashville). Everyone from the parking attendants to the check in counter workers were extremely welcoming and friendly. I was upgraded to a suite (thank you!) and it was a great room - not a high-end property by any means but definitely trendy. Beanbags in the living room, two TVs, cool decor, a great view of downtown Nashville, and lots of space. Minor design flaw - there is a support pillar between the king bed and the bathroom - not the ideal place for it especially if someone needs to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. There were some cracks on the wall, paint could have been refreshed - still - all minor issues. But the AC unit - when it came on, it was like a 747 just flew over your head. Unfortunately I didn't realize it until I unpacked my suitcase and plugged in my gadgets how loud the thing was, otherwise I'd ask for a room switch, but it would have been nice for them to check the functionality of the units and perhaps dampen the sound before assigning the room. Fortunately it wasn't too hot outside and I didn't need to turn on the AC anyway... Thanks for a great stay otherwise - would come back !

Room Tip: ask for a suite - they are great !!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2014

The rooms are large with lots of empty spaces; not much for furniture. It is a typical Aloft hotel: colorful and more suitable for young customers. Some reviewers mentioned that the building is old, which may be noticed by small details such as the elevators. The parking is expensive, so you'd better park on the street if possible.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank S C
Reviewed June 23, 2014

The Pros:
- Location away from the Broadway street madness and nearer quieter restaurants and bars (Catbird Seat, Patterson House). We enjoy walking and biking and did so to visit other neighborhoods.
- Our room rate included "breakfast" which was two $10 vouchers -- we used them in the snack bar, mostly for bottled Evian and San Pellegrino waters.
- Staff was friendly.
- If you are traveling to Nashville with a bachelor or bachelorette party, based on the other groups staying at the hotel, this is your place!

The Cons:
- Not near much of interest.
- Price point was higher than we typically book, but was priced competitively with other options in the area.
- Staff was not very knowledgeable with concierge services in directing us to bars/restaurants or the bike share rental stations (they did not even know about Nashville's bike sharing program).
- Based on room advice on TripAdvisor, I asked for a room away from the elevator and ice machine and my room was across from BOTH!
- The handle to the shower was sitting on the bathroom counter upon my arrival.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2014

The hotel was in a great area, the bed was comfortable, and check-in was very easy and friendly. Unfortunately, the good things about my experience at this hotel stop there. I won’t complain about the lack of elevator because that is not within the hotel’s control, but upon entering the room, the first thing my fiancée and I noticed were dark black marks on the wall adjacent to the door. I was tempted to buy a magic eraser © to clean them up, but my fiancée said that we spent too much on the room already to pay to clean it. Upon further inspection, the tile around the toilet was dirty, the shower was awkward as there was no door or drapery to prevent water splashing out of the shower, and the wooden floor laminate was detached in one part of the room and coming up in another. This was honestly one of the worst rooms I have stayed in. Considering that this was booked and paid for in advance for a romantic getaway/med school celebration, we were both extremely disappointed at the cheap feel and dirty nature of this room. My advice to anyone thinking of staying here is to try to see the actual room before you provide your credit card information. DO NOT pay in advance. There may be nice rooms in this property but based on my experience, I will likely resort to properties with which I am already comfortable for future trips. In summary, floors were coming up, toilet area was unclean, and wall was marked up significantly. Very unpleasant stay.

Room Tip: My room was unsatisfactory. A tip would be to examine your room before you agree to pay for it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nolan B
Megan L, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Nashville West End, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear Nolan B,
Thank you for taking the time to write us your honest review. We are glad you received great service from our front desk staff and enjoyed our comfortable beds; however, we are very sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay. Cleanliness is very important to us, and we apologize we did not meet these expectations in your case. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and we will work with our team to ensure all rooms are top notch. Thank you again for sharing with us, and we hope we will have another chance to impress you with our hotel. Take care.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

The hotel is about 1.5 mile walk to downtown Nashville. However, I would recommend taking the taxi. Staff's very friendly from the valets to the receptionists. Our bedroom had a lot of wall art and an attractive color scheme. Fridge was useful as we need to keep our ice packs frozen. Overall, a cool hotel that I would come back to.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple