“Run and don't look back!”

Aloft Nashville West End
Ranked #75 of 157 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed May 12, 2013

1 friend
A S.
Leave the gun, take the cannolis.
Falls Church, VA

5/10/2013
What would you do if a bomb exploded, shaking the entire hotel and woke you at 6:30am? Would you be scared? Would you want to know what was happening? Would you try to call the front desk?

I was traveling with a friend to Nashville and was happy to see that we had bid and "Named Our Own Price" at the Aloft Nashville West End on Priceline.

Though parking was expensive ($22), our check in at around 7:30pm was pleasant. We went into our room and it was ok. However, two incidents occurred which were greatly upsetting and reflect very poorly on this hotel and Starwood.

At 6:30am, we were awakened by an explosion that shook the entire hotel. It was so violent, that we felt that it HAD to be in the hotel or very close. I immediately picked up the phone to call the front desk to find that there was no ring tone! My friend ran to the door and said that he didn't see any smoke or fire but we should get dressed and leave the hotel.

I had the sense to use my smart phone and call the hotel's main number. It was immediately answered by a female who sounded very calm. I told her that we had heard an explosion and were very concerned. She asked if we hadn't noticed all of the construction (ummm no, we were supposed to?) going on down the street and stated that a new hotel was being built down the street. The builders/city used explosives two or three times a week at 6:30am to clear the grounds. She further stated that the hotel was not given notice when these explosions would occur and it wasn't their responsibility. I asked that since the hotel knew these explosions happen, shouldn't the hotel notify guests that this *might* occur? She then brusquely reiterated that it was not the responsibility of the hotel to inform their guests because they are not given prior warning from the city, so it was out of their hands. I was shocked.

We are from Washington, DC. We both had had experiences in our lives with terrorism, bombs etc during 9/11 and since then. Clearly our lives were/are affected differently than someone from Nashville. The Boston bombing was only a few weeks ago. When the explosion occurred, my first immediate thought was of Oklahoma City and terrorist attack.

I was too upset to sleep so I took a very long shower, packed and went downstairs to the front desk and told the person there, Hugo, that I wanted to speak to a manager about what had occurred that morning. Knowing I was so upset, I made sure I was speaking in a low, calm, carefully modulated voice. I realized there were other guest behind me and didn't want to create a scene as they didn't seem upset at all.

Hugo was immediately defensive and angry. He said that general manager wasn't there and when I asked if there a manager on duty, he said no. Rather than addressing my concern, he asked if I wanted someone to look at the phone and see why it wasn't working. When I said no, he asked if I wanted to close out the room and have my car brought around from the valet.

I told him my friend was still in the room and would be down shortly. Instead, I wanted to find out how to contact a manager. He went to the other side of the desk and brought back a business card for the general manager. As he handed it to me, it stated once again that the manager wasn't there. At that point I asked what his name was and wrote it down on the card. He asked once again if I wanted to check out. Since it was clear that he wouldn't help, I said yes

As I waited in the lobby for my friend, I overheard two employees behind me talking in the breakfast nook area and spoke to another employee. I asked him if there was a manager on duty and he pointed to Hugo. "It's the guy at the front desk". I was puzzled, and asked again. He stated that Hugo was the front desk manager and in charge until the manager came in around 10 or 10:30am. When he asked what was wrong, I told him what had happened starting from the explosion, to the call, to what Hugo had told me. I was SHOCKED when he said that the explosions don't happen two or three times a week. THEY HAPPEN EVERY DAY! He said he'd have the GM call me when she got in.

The second my friend came down, we left immediately. As we walked out the door, Hugo said "I'm sorry about YOUR problem."

REALLY?!??!?!?

When I got home, I sent an email to Starwood. No response. No surprise that the GM at the Aloft never called, even though I called and left a message too.

I'm sure the hotel didn't want to lose business if they explained about the explosions. How greedy! You might have gotten my business for one night but how many customers will you lose now?

STAY AWAY!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank NlnNdrw

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here while in town overnight for fun. I'd seen the place many times and we usually stay down the street at the Hampton Inn. We wanted to try something different and this particular weekend we noticed the Aloft was a good bit cheaper than Hampton so we gave it a try. We were pleasantly surprised with the room. The bed was very comfy and the shower awesome. Our favorite "treats" were the Ipod base and the Keurig. Finally a hotel with decent in-room coffee. We'd definitely stay there again.
Only negative is the valet. It's valet parking only and after 10ish the valet is inside, so you have to get out of your car and leave it on the street to go inside and get the valet to come out and park your car. Stupid.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mel_Garber, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Nashville West End, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear drunkitty2000,
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback about your recent stay with us. We are so pleased to hear of your satisfaction with our hotel and room amenities during your stay. We're glad you found your room so accommodating and enjoyed the little extras like our Keurig coffee makers. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Nashville!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I have had the most awful experience dealing with the management at the Aloft Hotel Nashville West End. I spend a significant time in Nashville on business and stayed at the hotel at the suggestion of a friend.

When I went to check out of the hotel, there was a fradulent $500+ bar tab on my bill with no recourse because someone fraudulently signed my name on the bill. There was absolutely no help or recourse from management. I will never in life stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Felicia S
Deci A, General Manager at Aloft Nashville West End, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Felicia S.,
I do apologize that you had some charges on your credit card that you feel are not yours. The hotel has done some research on these charges and will reach out to you privately to discuss what we have found.
I am sorry that this trip was not what you expected, as our goal is to make each guest comfortable and have a good time while visiting Nashville.
I again apologize for this situation, and will reach out to you personally to see how we can get this cleared up.
Best Regards,
Deci Arce

Reviewed May 3, 2013

My conference hotel sent me here because they were full. It has a hip vibe that is...different. All the way down to the bean bag chairs in the room. Okay no problem. However, let me begin with the black hole that is the desk area, no light on it or anywhere near it for that matter. One little tiny window far from the desk.Two inconvenient outlets (one to be crawled under said black hole desk to find). The only cups to be had are the two paper ones by the coffee machine. One trash can in the whole room (including bathroom) and it says it is only for recyclables. Okay no problem.However I draw the line at not making the room up. I left at 7:30am this morning, came back at 9pm and...nothing. The desk guy said "oh, sorry, what do you need, towels?" Grrrr. The housekeeping guy that came by was apologetic but he was not in charge of taking care of my room this morning. If I were to come back to Nashville in the future I would not choose this hotel.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Thank animatedlibrari... G

Dear animatedlibrari...G
I am sorry to see that you were disapopinted with your stay. We have recently been renovated, and are working through some of the design areas. I will definitely share your comments with our design team, as we do use them as learning tools.
I'm sorry that you had an inconvenience with the housekeeping situation, as we are continually teaching and training. And again, we will share this with the housekeeping department managers.
I would like to invite you back the next time you are in Nashville so that you can see the completed product. Please reach out to me directly.
Best Regards,
Deci

Reviewed May 3, 2013

The lobby looked good and it is probably a mile walk to downtown and all the fun. The cleaning product smell in room was horrible and there were clear signs that this is an old hotel with a few new surfaces...not impressed. There are some nice conveniences like a Keurig in the room and for the price it is ok overall

• Stayed: May 2013
Mel_Garber, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Nashville West End, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Travelck,
Thank you for providing comments on your recent stay with us. While we are glad to hear you enjoyed our convenient location to downtown as well as certain features of your guest room, we regret to hear of your dissatisfaction with other features of our hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced due to the cleaning products we use, and in order to improve moving forward, I have shared your comments with the rest of the hotel management team so we may address accordingly.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I loved their staff here, super nice people, very friendly, the room I was in left pretty B grade. That might have been only because it was a pet friendly room, so I'll take what I can get. The Staff was super nice to my dog, me, my family. The room at first glance was great, and actually the rooms are pretty cool...the cleaning crew / maintenance crew is what the problem is, my room was pretty dirty, you could tell this wasn't the kind of "lift everything up and clean it" kind of place, which was sad, as that has never been my experience with the aloft.

My toilet was missing parts, under the sink was just filty, the hotel feels a lot more like a cheap rehab than a ground up build, but that was ok. The cleaning crew (at least in the dog friendly rooms) should step their game up a bit though.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Mel_Garber, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Nashville West End, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear wilreynolds,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. While we are glad to hear you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating, we are disappointed to hear that that you were not satisfied with the cleanliness of your guest room and our housekeeping services. We understand your frustration and know the importance of providing our guests with clean rooms, so you are able to unwind and feel comfortable during your stay. We truly apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced.
We take our online reviews very seriously and value your input greatly - we use the feedback you provide as a means to improve our hotel and services in the future. I have passed your comments along to the rest of the hotel management team so they may review and address the issues you experienced accordingly. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

before arriving the reviews made me nervous.
after a long 10 hour car ride i arrived very early in the morning. questioned the front desk agent if he had any rooms available. in which he did not. and i didnt expect him to either, he was very understanding. he was abel to let us park our car and hang out in their neat little 8th floor balcany. (although i do suggest maybe re vamping that area a tad) anyways was abel to unwind and poor myself a drink...... did i mention this was at 7:30 am... stressful car ride.
when a room was available which only took about an hour and half, huego was abel to get us a room. we requested a room with 2 double beds. he was awesome enough to upgrade us to a sweet.

the rooms were very clean and modern.
the lobby was in ocnstruction but didnt bother our stay at all.
due to their construction they were abel to give us breakfast which made the morning even better.

all over a great stay.
front desk agent huego was awesome!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
LindseyVDK, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Nashville West End, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Hi shannon w,

Thanks so much for selecting us to host you on your recent trip to Nashville! I'm happy to hear that our staff was able to accommodate your needs and made you feel at home after your long drive - I'll be sure to thank Huego for a job well done!

Thanks again, and please come see us again next time you're in town!