“Large, well-organized, well-stocked store”
Review of McKay Used Books

McKay Used Books
Ranked #10 of 128 Shopping in Nashville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: McKay's is a one-of-a-kind shopping experience. People bring us their previously loved books, movies, video games, music, etc., and we offer them cash or store credit in return. Everything you find on our shelves was brought to us by other customers like you! And because of that, you truly never know what you're going to find. Every visit to McKay's is a unique adventure.
Reviewed January 30, 2017

Lots of reviews here so I won't go on long but this is a large, well-organized use book store immediately off of I-40 just west of N'ville. I didn't check out the non-book inventory but it seemed to have a large inventory of DVD's, CD's, games, graphic novels and it looked like there might have been vinyl music on the second floor. It has a large, free parking lot. I saw a review below that said the prices are high but I'd disagree..some books seem a bit high, others low, still others just what you might expect, all pretty much like every other used book store I've ever visited.

I always check the cookbook collection in such places and McKay's has a decent one. A goodly number of Southern cookbooks to check out.

I was especially impresses with how nicely organized the store was.

1  Thank George B
in 5 reviews
"manga"
"granddaddy"

Reviewed January 23, 2017 via mobile

Loved this store. We were here for 2 hours and I don't feel like we saw even a fraction of the store. I felt like some things were overpriced for what they were so I gave myself a 5$ per item limit and ended up buying a lot with that mindset. Want to come back again and explore some more.

2  Thank Mango J
Reviewed December 29, 2016

As a book lover and collector, I find this establishment mind-blowing. It is a store that has to be visited in order to truly grasp the sheer volume of products in its inventory.

2  Thank dudewhotravels2010
Reviewed December 26, 2016 via mobile

Mckays never seems to let me down. It's a 2 story warehouse style shop, with books in every imaginable category, mostly well-organized. Hard and soft cover books, board games, vintage video games and consoles (like NES), musical instruments and gear, vinyl and music cds, dvds, audio books, and even pay-by-the-bag Lego pit! Sale prices vary greatly depending on titles, but are typically discounted from full price enough to make the selections worthwhile. They also buy, and taking store credit reaps about twice what their cash payouts are. There is also a free bin where you can sift through the rejected used purchases, or have them add your own rejects into the stash. Ample parking! Elevator access inside! Coffee food truck often parks outside the front door. It really is a lovely way to acquire or purge your media collections or spend an afternoon getting lost among the shelves. A nerdy, musty, thrifty time for all ages.

1  Thank Kim B
See more reviews
Reviewed December 7, 2016

My wife wanted to sell some books so we took a sampling of items with us on the way to pick someone up at the airport. They took about half of her books, maybe a dozen, and paid her enough to pick up a Wii board. So, not a lot but they sell cheap too! It can be a little challenging to find what you want and they don't have a catalog but they know where to direct you if they have it at all. You can burn a few hours here easily if you have the inclination.

1  Thank knucklebusted