“A trip back in time!”

Dining options: Delivery
Smyrna, Tennessee
“A trip back in time!”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Stepping through the door of this Shoneys was like going back in time. It was Sunday dinner at grandmas all over again – thing is – grandma was a terrible cook…

I let a co-worker talk me into having lunch here one day. He felt he owed me a favor and it was his treat – so I agreed. When I mention it was like going back in time – that is spot on. It is SO out of date and in serious need of a makeover. It does have nice brown carpet…oh…wait…it’s actually tan. Heavy foot traffic, dirt and grime seem to have turned it brown except right up next to the walls and in other areas that couldn’t be walked on. Remember the Lionel Ritchie song “Dancing on the Ceiling”? You can check that box, too – ceiling tiles stained and dirty – think I saw footprints up there, too. Old school tables with the aluminum rim around the edge. Booth tables gradually pulling away from the walls only to be quickly “fixed” by a sloppy caulk and paint application. Speaking of paint – they must have paid the painters just enough to apply one coat – the other color was showing through the latest coat of red throughout the restaurant. In addition that same red was in places where it wasn’t supposed to be. It’s like they used the carpet for a drop cloth.

We were sitting where I had a view down the restroom hallway. The ladies room door was in my line of sight and I was very smudged, greasy and grimy looking. Watching a customer – a nurse – coming out, she had her hands up in the air like she had just scrubbed for surgery – using every means at her disposal NOT to touch the door on her way out – the paper towel, the elbow, the butt, the foot. She caught me staring and we shared a chuckle – I had done the same thing a little earlier.

Now that I have set the ambience for you – time to eat! Mistake number 1: I got the buffet. Mistake number 2: I made a second trip to the buffet. Yesterday’s leftovers, which were gradually being replace by fresh cooked – I mean freshly opened and heated food. Pretty much thumbs down to any hot item on the bar. Fried chicken was OK, just a little dry. Don’t judge, but I actually like liver and onions so I tried theirs. The liver was OK, but it was marinating in thick dark brown almost black gravy that was very unappealing and was starting to congeal. I scrapped what I could off, but it was also all over the onions. Ate a very small portion. Pork chop – dry. Cornbread- dry. Pinto beans…flavor, there again, was OK, but the texture from them being reheated from the prior day was off-putting or off pudding…way too thick.

One redeeming value – the waitresses were HOT! OK, I’m lying. Didn’t look like anyone wanted to be there and upon observing the sparse lunch time crowd – that was more true than I originally suspected. Was I miserable the rest of the day? Ummm, yeah. Will I do it again? Ummm, nope. I will also never do my co-worker any more favors if this is how he repays me…

• Visited July 2014

Louisville, Kentucky
“Fast service”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

During our visit in Nashville, we ate breakfast each day at Shoney's that was nearby. Of course they served their breakfast buffet each day which saved on a lot of time. The food on the buffet was a good selection and it was good and hot. The cleanliness of the restaurant was average (but the bathroom could have been much cleaner). Our waitress was nice and friendly, and overall, it was a typical Shoney's restaurant - convenience was the key.

Visited June 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Worth the Visit for the Waiter!”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Our family was seeking a place to dine that was convenient to the Nashville Airport. We selected Shoney's because of its location and since we had never been to this restaurant chain before. We had a wonderful experience thanks to Joseph, our waiter. He was extra-friendly and has a wonderful sense of humor. He did a great job and was a bundle of fun. We were nearing the end of a week-long road-trip across several states and interacting with him was the icing on the cake! In terms of food, there were many choices and we were satisfied with what we received.

• Visited July 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Shoneys Nashville Airport”
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Worst Shoney's ever been to. Dirty x 10! Ladies bathroom filthy, including toilets. Food cold to mildly warm. Portions skimpy. Do not go here.

1 Thank Dkraft64
“Ok for a fast meal”
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We arrived and were seated pretty fast. The restaurant was fairly clean. Our server was friendly. We opted for the buffet. It was just ok. Food was hot and fresh. There was a variety from salad to chicken and mac and cheese to breakfast. After eating it took a while to get the check. I would return if I ever needed a quick bite to eat but not my favorite.