“Takes forever- very good”

Prince's Hot Chicken Shack
Ranked #222 of 2,053 Restaurants in Nashville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Takeout
Chicago, IL
“Takes forever- very good”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Prince's is an experience. You will wait a LONG time - we waited almost two hours - the chicken is unique, hot and tasty. I love spicy food and the medium was perfect for me. Mild is still spicy.

Gus' in Memphis beats prince's, but it's still really good.

“Wow that was HOT!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I arrived at 330 on a Wednesday and found a table within 10 minutes. It was our first time there and we stood around without knowing what to do and it took about 5 minutes before someone actually helped us out (another patron not a staff member). It is located in a dingy area but not nearly as sketchy as I expected from reading other reviews. I ordered the mild and my fiancé got the hot. Both were HOT! Definitely the hottest mild I've ever eaten and his lips turned purple from the heat of the hot! The portions are huge and very decently priced. The French fries were excellent as a side and much needed to break the heat of the chicken. The seasoning on the chicken was delicious. After a few bites the heat really starts to hit you but if you enjoy spicy food It is worth the stop.

Atlanta, Georgia
“HOT chicken”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and I were visiting Nashville for the first time and being the foodies we are, did some research into local eats in Nashville and came across Prince's. We were there on a saturday and reached the place almost 30 mins before opening but we saw a line already at the entrance. Always a good sign. we stood in the queue and out came a lady to take the orders. We ordered breast one hot and one medium. Once we entered, we were lucky to find a table and after a short wait came the chicken and it more than made up for the place. We're Indians and used to eating spicy food all the time but this was very spicy although excellent fried chicken. It was just fried to perfection though I couldn't eat a whole lot of HOT level chicken, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Worth going back to Nashville just to get this hot chicken. I only wish this place were spruced up a bit but I guess that's part of the charm.

• Visited March 2013
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
“Not my first impression.”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Omg this place has the hotest chicken ever... wonderful you wont regret it. Looks are very deceiving. The restraunt is in a rough area, I would suggest only going for lunch. This place is extremely busy. Get there early. If you cant handle the heat get the mild its still a little spicy. You will not be disappointed for sure.

Visited August 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
“I Don't Get it...”
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

When we moved to Nashville, my husband and I were told that we HAVE TO try Prince's. We did, and we really don't get what all the hype is about. I should probably disclose that we are Jamaican, so jerk chicken is our reference for hot/spicy chicken. That being said, we went to Prince's with an open mind. We were forewarned that the place is in a dodgy/shady/scary area of town, and so it is. We placed our order at the counter and waited for about 30-45 mins to receive our Food. We wanted the full experience, so we planned to eat in the restaurant. As "luck" would have it a table opened up right before we got our food. Suffice it to say, I would recommend taking your food to go. The chicken looked and tasted like it was dipped in a vat of boiling oil without any seasoning, and after it was fried, a handful of dry powdered rub/seasonings was thrown on it, then it was placed on top of two slices of thin white bread and then wrapped in foil paper. By the time it got from the kitchen to our table the bread had completely soaked up all the oil and the powdered seasoning from the chicken was all over it so the bread could not be enjoyed. The chicken was awful. My husband and I are complete jokers so we made the best of it. We made up stories about the other patrons in the restaurant and had a great time just laughing at ourselves. Would I recommend Prince's--if you're hungry and want to enjoy a good meal? Absolutely not. If you want to check a Nashville landmark off your list and you have NOTHING else to do, okay go ahead, but I wouldn't recommend it.