“Food was great; service poor”
Review of Mama Mia's

Mama Mia's
Ranked #910 of 2,137 Restaurants in Nashville
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery
Reviewed January 23, 2011

After hearing about Mama Mia's for the past couple of years, 3 of us decided to give the restaurant a try. We arrived early (5:45 pm) as we had been told that by 6 pm the place would be quite crowded. At 6:15, every table was full -- including one table in the front of the restaurant that had a group of 12. This restaurant is really almost too small to accommodate large groups. There is no "waiting" space for those who show up and have to wait for a table. Waiting diners literally stand over tables near the hostess stand while waiting for a table to clear.

First -- the good: our food was served promptly (almost too much so) and was very tasty. One in our party had the special of the evening, veal meatballs on homemade noodles. The 2 meatballs were at least 3" in diameter and served with a tasty red sauce. The Frutti de Mare was heaped on the plate with lots of shrimp, calamari and sweet scallops; again, the red sauce was a bit sweet with a "kick" of heat, which was good. DH had linguine with clams and the entree was loaded with clams (both chopped and in the shell). All entrees were large enough to share, thus allowing all of us the opportunity to take the leftovers home. The spumoni ice cream was very good.

Now the not so good: Service was poor -- both in attentiveness to requests (I asked for grated cheese for my salad and had to remind the waiter again when my entree was delivered); and in trying to hurry us along to finish our meal and clear the table for the many people waiting. As fast as a course was served, the waiter would reappear and ask if he could clear our plates. Most of the time we had to tell him "no" and wave him off before he or his assistant would try to snatch our plates away from us. After finishing our entrees and asking for to-go boxes, the waiter stated he would bring our bill. We, again, had to "slow" him down and ask for dessert. We then had to ask for the selection of desserts since he did not return with a menu. His response: tiramisu. We asked for other choices and he begrudingly went through the list of other items. We chose 2 desserts to share and capuccinos. As soon as the last bite was eaten, our bill arrived without further inquiry as to whether there was anything else we would like.

Would we return? Maybe. The food was good so we may give MM's a second chance but only on a weekday night in hopes that the service atmosphere would be at a more enjoyable pace. I would recommend this restaurant to others, but with the caveat of "beware the hurried waiter."

Reviewed October 14, 2010

Okay, so I have never written a review about a restaurant but here goes. We dined there last night, 10/13/10. The restaurant is a little hole in the wall but when you walk in you forget that you are near an industrial section of Nashville. You can hear the trains from inside the restaurant but that only serves the ambience. The food was outstanding. The only grip I might have was that the salad did not match the restaurant. You could have found that at any chain restaurant. Our entrees, though, Oh my word!!! DELICIOUS!!!! The evening was splendid but came to a disappointing halt when our waiter came to us and said that the credit card machine was broken. Okay, I have worked in the restaurant business long enough to know that most restaurants have a back up to taking cards. We had to go next door to get cash out of the ATM, which cost us ATM fees, and then when our friend said her only other form of payment was a check, he asked her if her friends could cover her bill? I feel that was very inappropriate!! He didn't even ask his manager if that would be okay. This left a bad taste in my mouth on an otherwise tasteful evening. My best advice would be to call ahead to see if their credit card machine works or take a couple hundred dollars in cash with you if you are dining with a large party.

Reviewed June 13, 2010

Ok, I don't even know where to start. We had a party of about eleven, they fixed our table and the waiter that served our food was a very rude and unpleasant waiter. Service 0. We got our bread after a long wait. And then we got our food! NOT SO HAPPY after I tried my first bite. I have heard amazing things about this restaurant but I really don't know where people have their taste buds. The food was terrible as I said before it was eleven of us and out of the eleven, ten said that the food was discusting. My dad is Italian and this has nothing close to the italian food. I am sorry, but this restaurant deserves a 0. The bill was pretty high and the waiter better be glad he had added the gratuity on the tickets already because I would have gave him a penny heads down. I hope the owners can see this because they need to do some serious arrangements on their whole restaurant.

Reviewed January 28, 2010

There is nothing at all unique or special about this restaurant, except to say that one could find better food in a jar of Spaghetti-O's. The pasta was ordered al dente but came out slimy & soggy. The sauce was very sweet and tasted like it was prepared by a rank amateur. The amount of pasta served barely covered the bottom of the plate and the price for it all was ridiculous. When I stated I did not like the pasta and wished to just pay for the salad, I was charged $6.00. Needless to say I will not return to this place anytime soon. Full blame for this is poor management and certainly not Sicilian. The cooks in the rear all spoke Spanish. Not a pretty sight

Reviewed December 30, 2009

They speak Italian in the kitchen. Food is savory, sauces delicious. Nice little restaurant, definitely not upscale or pretentious. For people more interested in the food than the surroundings.