“Great BBQ & Sides + AMAZING Fried Pies!”
Review of Peg Leg Porker BBQ

Peg Leg Porker BBQ
Ranked #34 of 2,292 Restaurants in Nashville
Cuisines: Barbecue, Fast Food
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown Nashville
Description: Peg Leg Porker is a 100% family owned and operated BBQ restaurant in Nashville, TN. We specialize in "Real Tennessee BBQ" which is pork and chicken. Our specialty is Memphis Style Dry Ribs and ours have been named the Best in the US by Eater National.
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Having tried all the usual BBQ in Tennessee we decided to give the Peg Leg Porker a try for lunch as we passed through Nashville on a recent trip. They definitely know how to make some tender, juicy pulled pork. I loved the sandwich that comes standard with slaw on it, and I really enjoyed their sides. Too many BBQ places don't take the time to make good sides but that it not the case here. I loved the flavor of their BBQ beans that had green peppers and pulled pork in them, the mac and cheese was made with large shell pasta, creamy with lots of pepper, the fries and smoked green beans were good as well. Having spent the past week in the south we had tried fried pies at 3 or 4 places this week and the chocolate pie we had here was the best we have had! This is no chocolate pudding pie, it's like chocolate fondue that pours out as you cut into it. The crust on it is amazing and the simple syrup drizzled on it takes it over the top! Make sure you save room to try a pie. My husband was a little disappointed by the portion size of the pulled pork platter and that it didn't come with any bread or cornbread, but overall we were very happy with the quality and flavor of the food we had.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,310)

Reviewed July 17, 2014

This place is worth going out of your way to get to…It’s that good. It’s located in an industrial part of Nashville, not near any other restaurants, entertainment, or tourist spots. You have to have the intention of coming here because you won’t come across it by accident or on your way to something else.

We went there during lunch. There is a steady turnover of tables so you don’t have to worry about getting one. One will be available after you order your food. The atmosphere is nothing fancy, but that is because they put all of their effort into the food. The setup is the usual "order at the counter and they will call your name when your food is ready." During this stop on your BBQ road trip we sampled the following:

-- Pulled Pork: 9/10 Juicy, tender, with good flavor. But it does need a little bit of sauce as an accent
-- Dry Ribs: 11/10 Yes, they get an 11 on a scale of 1 – 10. They are so flavorful that any sauce will ruin them.
-- Sides: We tried all of them. The green beans were the weakest side. The rest are all very good.

Seriously, if you don’t eat here you are missing out on something fantastic.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

This place vs jacks bbq on trinity ln I would choose jacks for the ribs!!! But the pork sandwhich is good here!! Good value nice outdoor seating!

1  Thank AliciaS2984
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Great advice from friend that told me to stop in here on way through Nashville. Went with full rack of dry ribs because I knew my son would be reaching in. He did and they were outstanding. Used some of the mild sauce to enhance even more. Baked Beans and Cole Slaw not only substantial in size but brought it strong with quality. Son went with pulled pork and double mac and cheese for the sides. Pulled pork was on the money and he said the mac and cheese was great before I could get a taste. Saw the wings and wish we had another family member along to get an order...large full wings that may have me stopping in on the way back through. There was a band setting up on the deck when we left. Nice bar inside also. Highly recommend!!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Went on a whim during a visit to Nashville in March. We wanted BBQ, but didn't want to wait in line at one of the established, touristy places. Saw an ad and thought "why not?" Definitely off the beaten path, but worth the hunt. Had a delicious meal on the patio - what a treat! The counter-person was very friendly and helpful, with great recommendations. Dry rub is the way to go! And the mac and cheese is to-die-for (I NEVER use that phrase)! The bartender was happy to talk about local brews and helped us choose delicious beer. Couldn't wait to go back and take my husband when I was back in Nashville in May. It wasn't a fluke - another great meal. I hope I can fit in a visit every time I'm in Nashville! And The Gulch is a great neighborhood for an after dinner walk. Check out "Two Old Hippies" - interesting store!