“Best BBQ in Nashville?”

Ranked #27 of 2,084 Restaurants in Nashville
Cuisines: Barbecue, Fast Food
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown Nashville
Description: Peg Leg Porker is a 100% family owned and operated BBQ restaurant in Nashville, TN. We specialize in "Real Tennessee BBQ" which is pork and chicken. Our specialty is Memphis Style Dry Ribs and ours have been named the Best in the US by Eater National.
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I'm usually very reluctant to review BBQ establishments because BBQ is almost a religious issue for many folks, and their bias is always going to be toward whatever is popular in their region. But while in Nashville, I wanted to try some good local BBQ flavor a bit off the beaten path, and this one is review worthy.

Off the beaten path? It is that, though fear not it is minutes from downtown, step around the corner you'll see the Nashville skyline. Just dont try to find it without aid of a GPS or navigation app. What you'll find is a hole in the wall in what appears to be a mostly industrial section. Dont worry though, you're only a couple of blocks away from other restaurants, but BBQ joints just feel more authentic if they do not have a snazzy front.

No snazzy front here, no snazzy inside either. You have a bar on one end of the building, the counter and kitchen on the other with lots of tightly packed straight chairs and tables inbetween. You order at the counter, sit down and they call you when food is ready. Serve yourself, grab your own utensils, fill your own drink, grab a generous amount of papertowels and enjoy some fine cue.

Typical southern BBQ fare, that means pig...sorry, Texans. Honestly I didn't see a smoker or smell smoke though there was wood outside. I dont care though, it was very tasty. One religious argument they do avoid is wet versus dry rub. You can choose either if you order ribs. The sides are very southern, mostly slow cooked veggies with some pig tossed in to flavor it up. And dont forget a fried pie. They'll drop it when you order it to at least reheat it, and when it comes out they're going to slather it with a sugary glaze. Food was great as far as I'm concerned.

Other things you need to know... Parking is a challenge, be prepared to walk a block or more. If travelling with granny or the kids, drop 'em at the door, then go find a spot. Expect a crowd, and it's cozy in there...just go with it, southerners are friendly. They do take credit cards, I'd consider the place ok for a stop if on a business trip to Nashville so long as you dont mind dripping sauce on your tie.

If you like BBQ, check out this family run gem in Nashville.

1  Thank Ricky L
There are newer reviews for Peg Leg Porker BBQ

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Ate here last week. Passed my initial BBQ test . There was a wood pile behind bldg.
Food did not give appearance that the wood had been used to cook with.

Food was good. But, I wouldn't call it really good barbecue.

Note that I checked "scenic view". I consider view of railroad tracks to be scenic.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I actually decided to try this place by the reviews posted on TA. Although the food was good it did not have a smoke or pit barbeque taste to it. There is also a spice flavor added to the rub which reminds me of Old Bay Seasoning which I am not particularly fond of either. With that being said others there seem to thoroughly enjoy it and I may be just old fashioned and prefer good ole pit or smoked barbeque.

1  Thank tennessee2913
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Actually, we tried this place after the owner replied to a bad review on yelp in a very... different.... way..... I was curious, driving through Nashville later that day, so why not? Food was good. Solidly good. My family of 2 adults, one child, and another child (who likes nothing and eats almost nothing) split a rack of ribs, nachos, and a sandwich. The sandwich came with slaw on it, and it was some good stuff, let me tell you what. It all was good, to be honest. Sides were good. We had chocolate fried pies. Sadly, they were not my Granny's fried pies.... But they were really good. The owner was a the end of the bar, & so we spoke to him on the way out. Nice guy, he talked to our girls & chatted for a minute. I look forward to an opportunity to go back for another sandwich.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We had some company visiting from Calif and he had seen this place on a Food Tv show so he wanted to try it while in town.We had never been there before or even heard of it.Its located in downtown nashville and its really hidden away.
It was not really busy but there were a few people in line to order.Its a really relaxed place with a small bar inside and dining tables,not a very big place but it can seat quite a few people.
There was 3 Adults and 1 child and we all ordered the Ribs, a full rack is around $21.00 which is high to me and you can get dry or wet. My hubby had a full rack and I had the half rack.Best ribs I have ever had, it also came with 2 sides so we had mac n cheese and coleslaw which was also good.The sweet tea was un-sweet which I complained about and they made some fresh.All in all was a good experience and good food and service.I would not eat here often because to me its way to pricey for ribs,it cost about $45.00 for 2 people.If you love ribs then this place is for you!