“Enjoyable Afternoon with Friends”
Review of Gerst Haus

Gerst Haus
Ranked #421 of 2,038 Restaurants in Nashville
Cuisines: German, Bar, European
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Daytona Beach
“Enjoyable Afternoon with Friends”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We planned to meet friends in Nashville for dinner, but opted to stop at this restaurant for a late afternoon lunch instead. When we arrived, it wasn't too crowded and we were seated immediately. We each ordered the Gerst beer and were surprised to find it was pretty good, not too strong. I ordered the special of the day, a fried grouper sandwich and it was flavorful - I tried a bit of the horseradish that our server brought to the table, and was only a little disappointed that it wasn't made in-house. Our server checked on us often, offering refills of our drinks or to ask if we needed anything else - he was funny and pleasant, and didn't hover to the point of being a pest. We actually stayed quite a long time, but didn't feel that anyone was pushing us out, and just before we left, musicians were beginning to play. It was a very nice afternoon.

• Visited July 2013

Dallas, Texas
“Change of Pace”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Good sauerkraut. Mo roast pork. Mostly sausages; had kielbase which was good. Smoked pork chop was flavorful but a little dry. A little hard to find, but good for change of pace. Good atmosphere. Stylidh and appesling decor. Large bar and dining room.

• Visited August 2013
“A little too greasy”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

If grease or bland/boring textured main courses doesn't bother you, then this place is worth a stop if its location is convenient to your needs. The service was satisfactory, however the main course dishes were not the best of German dishes I have tasted throughout the US east coast over the last 12 years. Their sandwiches and brats are terrific.

A safe bet is to stay with the sandwich menu, beer and brats. The interior is unique, and outdoor seating...by an interstate, is available.

• Visited March 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
“Tasty food and good beer”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Gerst amber beer, now brewed by Yazoo local brewery in Nashville, is so tasty. The restaurant has its pluses and minuses - tasty food (have heard it's not too authentic but I am not a German expert), friendly service, and except for Titans game days you can almost always get a table because it's so big. There is also a patio and it's very walkable from downtown or East Nashville. I love the paprika chicken and the red cabbage. The potato salad is vinegar-based and you can get it hot or cold (I like both). There's a great beer selection but a goblet of Gerst is my favorite. Downsides - it's a little pricey, the whole place is kind of sticky, and the service, while friendly, is not professional. There is not enough parking for the size of the place.

• Visited July 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
“20 years later and still good”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I rarely get to eat at a German restaurant, so my 4 rating may be high. Weiner Schnitzel is what I always order and this was good. Had the Gerst bier because, well, I was at the Gerst Haus after all. My first experience was at the old location before it was demolished to make way for the football stadium. The food was decent but not spectacular then and it seemed to be better now (that or I just wanted it to be better). It was good enough that next time I'm in Nashville, I'll return.

Visited June 2013